The Home Depot Sales Associate Interview Questions | Glassdoor

The Home Depot Sales Associate Interview Questions

Updated May 23, 2017

2.2

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at The Home Depot.

Interview

Fairly quickly and easy. Not too many difficult questions especially if you have had customer service experience before applying. The process just took a while because the store normally gets busy.

Interview Questions

• Have you had any sales experience?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for The Home Depot

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at The Home Depot (Phoenix, AZ) in July 2016.

Interview

A few days after filling out an online application, which included both personality and job-knowledge tests, I received a call from HD that continued the vetting process. At first I interacted with an automated machine that asked whether I was still interested after learning that the job was only part time, the pay was TBD, etc. Then I got through to a human being who conducted a phone interview. After this interview they immediately set me up for an in-person interview at a store nearby.

The in-person interview was very basic, concerning past experience with retail sales. My interviewer took few notes, and when I was given the opportunity to ask questions at the end of the interview my interviewer gave brief answers. I had the impression this person wanted to shuffle me out the door expeditiously, either because there were a lot of interviews to get through or because the decision had already been made while I was talking.

Interview Questions

• Phone: Describe a time when you encountered an obstacle while working with a team, and how you overcame the obstacle.

In-person: Describe a time when you had to deal with a customer who was upset. What did you do?
      Describe a time when you had to help a customer who was looking for something that your store did not carry. What did you do?
      Describe a time when you were given a project and you encountered a problem that you were unsure you could overcome. What did you do?
      Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The Home Depot.

Interview

I applied online, as they do not offer a way to apply in person. They asked me simple questions about previous experience, as well as how I thought I could help the company. My interviewer was late and I waited around as supposedly no one knew I was coming. The rest of the process, however, was not bad. They told me they would be able to work around my college courses with scheduling. I got hired as a cashier, but was offered ways to apply for promotions into other departments.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at The Home Depot (San Jose, CA) in July 2016.

Interview

I was asked questions but I feel like my answers wee too honest ... I also wasn't given a chance to sell myself and my skills. Most of the questions involved interactions with coworkers rather than what my skills are and my accomplishments.

Interview Questions

• What did I do when I saw someone breaking a safety rule   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at The Home Depot (New York, NY).

Interview

Phone screen interview with corp HR. Waited for three hours for initial interview with any department supervisor. Waited two weeks for background check and a second interview. Waited two hours for second interview.

Interview Questions

• Walk me through how you would help a customer who asked you for a tool and they didn't know what it was only that they needed it to maybe cut something?   Answer Question

Negotiation

none

Anonymous Employee in Loveland, CO

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at The Home Depot (Loveland, CO) in June 2016.

Interview

They asked me personality questions. Questions how would you do in...situation. Overall the interview was about half an hour with about eight to ten questions. After the interview I was taken to do a drug test by sucking on a plastic swab to collect saliva samples, and sign in a few papers.

Interview Questions

• What is your availability?
      Was there a time that you have to overcome a challenge and what was the end result?
      How would you learn tasks for the job?
      Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at The Home Depot (San Jose, CA) in June 2016.

Interview

I interviewed with a Home Depot representative through San Jose State University's Career Center. It was quick, no more than 15 minutes, and they asked pretty simple questions that were nothing out of the ordinary. They wanted to get a feel for my previous experience and were curious about why I was interested in working there.

Anonymous Employee in Idaho Falls, ID

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at The Home Depot (Idaho Falls, ID) in June 2016.

Interview

It was pretty quick. Asked the standard questions about experience, why you want the job, and availability. A couple of simple questions describing a time you dealt with conflict or time you succeeded. Both interviews and drug test happened within 30 minutes or so and was hired.

Interview Questions

• Can you share a time you dealt with an upset customer and how you handled it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at The Home Depot (Seattle, WA) in June 2016.

Interview

Go a desk let them know your there for a interview. Manager comes up introduce themself take you to this room and start asking you questions about your experience with customers , home improvement & retail. What is your training in dealing with customers,team building,multi tasking, deadlines,accuracy, common sense solutions & probelm solving.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for our company?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Wasn't able to negotiate set wage for this position.

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at The Home Depot (Houston, TX) in June 2016.

Interview

Applied through online portal for sales associate position and completed application skills quiz.
    Was contacted by Home Depot headquarters representative within 2 weeks.
    Completed phone screen on the spot and was scheduled for in-person interview.
    Did in-person interview within a week, accepted offer on the spot, and did drug test.

Interview Questions

• You see a customer that looks in need of assistance entering the store--how do you approach this customer?   1 Answer