The Humane Society of the United States Interview Questions | Glassdoor

The Humane Society of the United States Interview Questions

3.1

Veterinary Technician Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at The Humane Society of the United States in November 2016.

Interview

After submitting an application through the HSUS website I heard nothing back for about three weeks. I got an email from the HR department asking to set up a phone interview. During the phone interview basic questions were asked including salary, availability, why do want to work there etc. Only lasted 20 minutes. After that, an in person interview was arranged. The interview consisted of three administrators. One was very personable and willing to talk about the organization while the other one was very silent and the last was not paying any attention at all and was on his phone the entire time, clearly not engaged. The entire process from start to finish took about 5 weeks. Overall, communication was terrible. In between every correspondence with the organization, days would pass before they got back to me. The entire process was needlessly long and frustrating.

Interview Questions

• What is the most negative quality you find in a coworker or boss?   Answer Question
    • How would you deal with conflict in the work place?   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The Humane Society of the United States.

Interview

The interview process took more than two months. I applied online and was contacted ~10 days afterward for a brief phone interview with HR. This was fairly straightforward-- mostly questions concerning background and fit. More than three weeks later I had a second interview with the position's supervisor, again via phone. The interviewer seemed circumspect in answering some questions about available resources for professional development.

A week following the second interview, I was invited to interview a third time with a panel via video chat. The questions again had to do with my background and how my experiences fit the position. The interviewers seemed disorganized and a couple of times during the interview disagreed with one another about company policies and procedures, which was a red flag for me. While they answered many of my questions satisfactorily they skirted others entirely and seemed hesitant to discuss social cohesion among different divisions or opportunities for career advancement within the organization. More than a week after the third interview I was asked to fill out an employment application and submit to a background check, and my references were contacted.

The following week I was made an offer via HR, who wanted me to make a decision immediately. When I told them I had additional questions about the position as well as employee policies and benefits, they said they'd need an answer within no more than two business days. While I love this organization's mission statement, there were too many indications of poor business practice and communication issues during the hiring process for me to feel comfortable accepting the position.

Interview Questions

• Is there anything in your personal ideology that would conflict with the Humane Society's mission and/or work? If so, how would you handle that conflict if hired for this position?   Answer Question
    • What are your greatest strengths? What are your greatest weaknesses?   Answer Question

Marketing Interview

Application

The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at The Humane Society of the United States in February 2016.

Interview

The interview and hiring process took too long--over 5 months. After submitting the initial resume, I had an HR phone screen within 2 weeks. The follow up phone interview with the hiring manager was scheduled 5 weeks later. An in person interview with a 6-person team was scheduled 3 weeks later. I was notified 2 months later that an internal person had been hired for the position.

Interview Questions

• The initial HR screen was pretty standard including if any of my beliefs were against the mission of the organization. The hiring manager phone interview asked more specific questions regarding my experience and what I would bring to the position. The team interview seemed awkward. Most of those employees that were part of the interview, didn't contribute to the interview. I asked them how this position would work with each of the members in the room and they didn't seem to know. The hiring manager left a month after the position was offered to the internal candidate. Seemed like a reorg at the company, but no one wanted to disclose it.   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at The Humane Society of the United States in February 2016.

Interview

First interview was conducted by HR department. This interview was short and sweet, with pretty standard questions. The second interview was with a supervisor that I would be working with directly, and this one was longer and also had more detailed questions about my background and how my experiences would be applicable to the position.

Food Policy Outreach Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The Humane Society of the United States.

Interview

I was called for a preliminary screening by the HR people. They never followed up with any job updates, even to tell me that the position had been filled. I emailed twice and no never got a definitive answer. I think that it's common courtesy to at least notify applicants who are screened that they didn't make it to the next round.

FYI My understanding is the people who do make it to the next round are interviewed again by someone in the specific department that they applied to. Then if you make that cut you go for an in-person interview (if a remote position, sometimes you fly in, other times you do a Skype interview).

Interview Questions

• How do your values align with those of the Humane Society?   Answer Question

Campaign Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gaithersburg, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at The Humane Society of the United States (Gaithersburg, MD).

Interview

Over-the-phone interview with HR about 2 months after I applied. Easy to talk to, typical questions. I thought the interview went well, but I never heard from them again despite multiple follow-up emails.

Interview Questions

• Asked what I expected to get for a salary.   1 Answer

Legislative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at The Humane Society of the United States in November 2015.

Interview

Basic questions about personality and passion. Phone interview / conference call with three members of the office. Asked what I would do if I had no specific project that needed to be worked on

Legislative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at The Humane Society of the United States (Washington, DC) in November 2015.

Interview

We had a phone interview because I was in California while they are based in Washington, D.C. and Maryland. We talked for about 30 minutes and had a really good conversation that was prompted and encouraged by good interview questions and a friendly disposition from the interviewer. The conversation came very naturally, but she also asked very appropriate and sometimes difficult questions to answer off the top of your head.

Interview Questions

• One question went something like, "What would you do if you had a conflict with your supervisor?"   1 Answer

Policy Positions Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gaithersburg, MD

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The Humane Society of the United States (Gaithersburg, MD) in October 2015.

Interview

In the fall I was contacted to interview for the wildlife abuse campaign manager position. I set up and conducted the interview with an HR person. He told me it would be a few weeks until they got back to people about whether they would be bringing them in. Three weeks later, still nothing. I email to check in, ignored. HR couldn't be bothered to give a response.

Recently I applied and set up a phone interview for a different policy position. Set up the interview through one HR person to be conducted by a different one. She promised a response within the next 2.5 weeks. It's now 3 weeks later and all emails have been ignored. Seems like it's pretty standard for them to just ignore you and never tell you they've moved on with other candidates based on my and other peoples' experiences.

Social Media Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gaithersburg, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at The Humane Society of the United States (Gaithersburg, MD) in September 2015.

Interview

Was e-mailed for a phone screening within a few days of applying online, and was surprised at how fast the response was. I replied quickly and received a confirmation two days later for a call later in the week. Half an hour into the agreed upon time without getting a call, I sent another e-mail asking to reschedule as they had apparently missed the time to call me. Later that day, I received an apology e-mail asking to reschedule. The screening was typical, and as usual, it was with HR who passes information to the hiring manager. Nearly two weeks later I received an e-mail asking me to come in for an in person interview and offered days/times. I again responded quickly but did not receive confirmation for a couple of days. Upon arriving, the confusion made sense- it seemed that there was a lot of miscommunication going around, including HR notifying me that day that they were still phone screening other candidates. While the people themselves were very nice, I was unimpressed with their process, sadly, because I think the organization does great things. I was turned off from applying for any other positions in the future.

Interview Questions

• Do you have anything in your life that would go against the mission of the Humane Society?   1 Answer

The Humane Society of the United States Response

Nov 19, 2015 – Senior Vice President, Human Capital and Administration

Thank you for the feedback on our recruitment process, and we are sorry to hear you had a disappointing experience with your application and interview process. We believe strongly that hiring... More