The Hut Group Graduate Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

The Hut Group Graduate Software Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at The Hut Group

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manchester, England (UK)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at The Hut Group (Manchester, England (UK)) in January 2019.

Interview

Got put in contact by a friend. Initially had a telephone interview followed by some online tests. I then got invited to their office in Media City for a face to face interview.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for The Hut Group

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manchester, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The Hut Group (Manchester, England (UK)) in December 2018.

Interview

There were online assessment and on-site interview.
    During the interview, I met 3 people and all the questions were technical. One of them was review of the code that I submitted, others were about questions about OOP.
    It took 2 to 3 weeks after I applied the job.

Interview Questions

• How would you make the program to search something in the situation of ...? (explain how to solve the problem)   Answer Question

Graduate Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at The Hut Group.

Interview

I was first contacted on LinkedIn via a recruiter asking me if I wanted to sit for an online programming test. I said yes and chose the Java challenge. The test was easy at first, but as I was getting more and more questions correct, the rest of the questions were getting harder and harder. Nonetheless, I was accepted for an assessment centre that took place in their offices in Northwich

Interview Questions

• How would you sort a list of integers and ensure that the next integers that we will be adding will be placed in the correct position?   1 Answer
    • The company has servers in Europe but also want to serve clients outside the EU. What could be a good solution to that problem? We are given that we cannot afford to set new servers outside the EU.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manchester, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at The Hut Group (Manchester, England (UK)) in February 2019.

Interview

3 interview with different employees from the company. All three people asked technical questions. The first one was a graduate software developer , the second one was a more senior employee and the last one was a team leader

Interview Questions

• What is the worse case time complexity of a binary search tree   1 Answer
    • Write a function to return the first element to appear an odd number of times in a string   Answer Question
    • Implement a stack using a linked list   Answer Question
    • Questions regarding my CV   Answer Question

Graduate Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salford, North West England, England (UK)

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at The Hut Group (Salford, North West England, England (UK)) in March 2019.

Interview

I have applied through Glassdoor by simply attaching my CV. I was initially contacted by email and invited to take part in the Hackerrank aptitude test which I found quite easy apart from the challenging programming task that required me to find Longest Magical Sequence of vowels. After completing the test I received an email inviting me for a phone interview that was really short and informal, where recruiter told me I did well in the test and company would like to invite me for the final stage (face-to-face) interview in their office at MediaCityUK.
    The MediaCityUK office made a very good impression on me and I was firstly introduced to the open-plan development office and I was directed to the small room at the end of the office where the whole interview took place. I was interviewed by 3 different members of staff and whole process was very friendly and informal what I liked. After that I was told that THG HR will make a decision in the following week. I was contacted by my recruiter telling me that they would like to make an offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manchester, England (UK)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at The Hut Group (Manchester, England (UK)) in October 2018.

Interview

First I had a phone screening with an HR. Then I was invited to complete two quiet trivial Hackerrank tasks.

After some time I was invited to an assessment centre. It consisted of three 1:1 interviews: behavioural, technical(talking about my CV), technical(talking about the Hackerrank solutions).

Graduate Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at The Hut Group (Manchester, England (UK)) in November 2017.

Interview

Do not waste your time with THG! They withdrew their offer 7 months after I had accepted it!?

The interview and hiring process:

I emailed a THG internal recruiter and was invited to interview at their office. Had 4 interviews, 3 technical, 1 personal. Personal was with the recruiter. Technical was with 3 increasingly more senior software developers/managers. Interviews were fairly straightforward, all one-to-one, and if you end up deciding to risk dealing with THG, the technical questions are standard software engineering style interview questions.

I accepted a THG Graduate offer, and 7 months later (2 months before starting) they withdrew their offer. Disgraceful! Not only did they completely ruin 1 year's worth of planning for my future, they actively stopped me getting a job I wanted because I had already accepted their offer, so didn't apply to any other roles. How can you know that any offer THG gives is actually real if it is acceptable for THG to withdraw an offer 7 months after you accept it? THG seem to me to do whatever they want regardless of how much of a bad practice it is, and regardless of the effect on their employees. Honestly, do not waste your time with The Hut Group. Even if you get an offer (regardless of how enticing or how much pay they 'say' they offer), you can never be sure you will actually start a role there. I quote from THG's internal recruiter - "an email offer of employment from THG isn't an official offer of employment"... I think that says it all.

Interview Questions

• What challenges do you think a retail company might face?

Standard software engineering technical questions.   Answer Question

Graduate Software Engineer Interview

Interview

First contact with talent recruiter through LinkedIn then by phone.
    Then second meeting with engineering people: questions were very weird (like write code in a cheatsheet in 30 seconds! And he was always talking about the work and not how is the work environment in the company, like he didn’t want me to come..) and I was supposed to talk to 2 interviewers but the second one didn’t even dare to show up... and made me wait for 1hour...

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your projects   Answer Question
    • If we want to find a missing number into a list how can we do it? And how can it be improved?   1 Answer

Graduate Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Northwich, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at The Hut Group (Northwich, England (UK)) in February 2018.

Interview

A recruiter contacted me on 4th December via LinkedIn, and I replied straight away. Months without his reply, I sent him another message on Monday, 19th February.

On Tuesday, 20th February he asked my availability for a phone call to which I replied on late Wednesday, 21st February.

On Friday, 23rd February morning he asked if 4:30pm is alright, I replied that it is a good time. He did not call me. 4:51pm he said he is running behind and will call me shortly. To this day I have not received the call from the recruiter.

I am surprised that a recruiter offers an interview, then ignores my reply. Months later after sending him more messages, he arranges the interview and misses it, then says he will call me shortly, never does, and then never reschedules the interview. I have never experienced something like this throughout my career.

I have given this feedback to the Hut Group on 2nd March and they have not replied to me. They are unprofessional and do not listen to feedback.

Graduate Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Northwich, England (UK)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at The Hut Group (Northwich, England (UK)) in February 2018.

Interview

I was approached by a representative of the company on LinkedIn and we had a call with him. They were very nice and supportive, providing a lot of information about the company. After the call I was invited to an interview at the company straight away.

At the interview day, I was met by a member of HR who was also very friendly and approachable. They gave me a tour of the the buildings in the office park and gave a brief run-down of the company structure and how the development teams work. I then had a brief chat with him, which was mostly motivational questions.

Afterwards there were 3 separate interviews - two were with recent graduates, and the last one was with a senior engineer. All of these were technical.

The first two were quite stressful as they didn't have my CV on hand and were asking questions about languages and topics that I have little to no experience with. This was mostly around OOP concepts. After talking with the first of these graduates, I was asked to implement a search algorithm on paper, however since the interviews were only 30 minutes long, I had only 10-12 minutes to do that so naturally didn't get to the end of it, even though I was on the right track. The second graduate didn't ask any OOP questions and went straight to a coding exercise, where I had to validate the correctness of the order of an array of strings. I knew the solution to the problem, but again the time constraints and the multiple edge cases meant that I ran out of time.

The last interview was actually quite pleasant. We had a nice chat about my university experience as well as my internship. There were then a few smaller technical problems, which I didn't actually have to code - just speak through it out loud. I found this much nicer and more relaxing, which meant that I managed to do them fine. The senior engineer told me a lot about the recent work that they were doing and we even stayed to chat for some extra time after the end of my interview.

Overall it was a mixed experience - the first and last interviews were definitely my highlights, but I felt that the two interviews in the middle could have been planned out better by the interviewers.

I was contacted the next week and informed that I wouldn't be getting an offer, but at least I got a bit of feedback which was a first in my job search so far. In the end it all boiled down to not having enough experience with the languages/aspects that they were looking for. If I knew these requirements beforehand, I feel I would have been better prepared for the interview, as I thought that my wealth of experience with web development would mean that the interview would be more web focused (as they do have a front-end team).

Interview Questions

• Implement a binary search algorithm in a language of your choice   Answer Question
    • What do you want to get out of the job?   Answer Question
    • Various questions about OOP concepts like inheritance, encapsulation, method overloading/overriding etc.   Answer Question