The Lewin Group Interview Questions | Glassdoor

The Lewin Group Interview Questions

Updated Oct 18, 2017

Senior Research Analyst Interview

Interview

Very long--about 5 hours with a writing assessment. Four interviews in total with lunch break in the middle. Everyone was friendly. Questions geared toward trying to determine whether or not you were better suited for qualitative or quantitative research analysis.

Senior Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Falls Church, VA

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at The Lewin Group (Falls Church, VA).

Interview

I initially made contact with United Health Group, the parent company, at a career fair. I was subsequently contacted by HR and initial phone screen was done about 2 weeks afterwards. About 1 week later, I did a peer phone interview--the interview went well. The call started about 20 minutes late because the interviewer was stuck in a meeting, but I understand--as a consultant, I've been in the same situation.

2 weeks afterwards, I came onsite for interviews with the practice leader, 3 managers, and another peer. In general the interviews went as one might expect, with a couple of exceptions. My first interview with the practice leader started 15 minutes late, and was fairly short, considering that the interviews were each 30 minutes. Secondly, the first interviewer, the practice leader, was not very engaged, since a proposal was due that day, and the interviewer felt it necessary to monitor email. I didn't have much issue with it, since there wasn't much I could do about it. Was it rude? Yes. Was another option available? Possibly, such as switching time slots with one of the other interviewers. One other interesting piece that was shared by one of the interviewers was that the CEO had to approve each hiring decision. I can sort of appreciate that, but if it's so important, then perhaps the CEO should interview each potential hire, or at least each consulting candidate.

Finally, after almost a month after the interview, I received a call informing me that an offer would not be extended. Again, somewhat understandable if the CEO has to approve each hire, but not sure how effective a consultancy is that takes almost a month to make a hiring decision. Also, when I checked the online applicant tracking system (ATS), it indicated that the decision not to move forward was made 3 days after I interviewed.

On the positive, the HR contact was very proactive in periodically reaching out to me and letting me know that a decision had not been made. My suspicion is that the HR person was being honest, was not kept in the loop, and either someone else gamed the ATS so that HR would have good looking metrics and not have an outlier indicating it took almost a month to get back to a candidate.

Interview Questions

• Have you looked at other parts of UHG's business? Your background seems more suited to the payer operations group, for example.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Falls Church, VA

Application

The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at The Lewin Group (Falls Church, VA) in September 2017.

Interview

Three rounds of interviews. First was e-interview, second phone interview, third in-person. The in-person interview lasted 5 hours and concluded with a writing assessment. If you have a strong quantitative background, good project experience, and went to a good school you'll more than likely get an offer.

Interview Questions

• What projects have you enjoyed working on in a professional setting? What was your role?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The Lewin Group (Washington, DC) in August 2017.

Interview

I applied online. One month later, I received an email from United Health Care Group asking me to partake in a digital interview and must complete it within 48 hours. It shouldn't be called an interview because there was no one on the other end asking the questions. Instead, it was questions popping up on the screen and then you had 3 minutes to record your answer. I found this totally demeaning and disrespectful of my time. They can't even have somebody on the other end to interact with? Within a few days of completion, I got an email notifying me that the position was no longer available. It left me feeling like they just wanted to capture my information and recording for a database they are building. I am very concerned about issues of privacy because there was no information on how they stored the recording or what exactly they did with it once it was complete. It leaves me wondering whether the position was even open to begin with. It was a waste of my time and feels like a racket to me.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in this position and when can you start.   Answer Question

Senior Research Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at The Lewin Group.

Interview

Was reached out to via campus recruiting- they were very disorganized w scheduling bc it's a subsidiary of a larger corporation. The position no longer became available after the election results and the resulting changes to healthcare policies

Interview Questions

• What kind of qualitative and quantitative work have I done and which I prefer more   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Falls Church, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at The Lewin Group (Falls Church, VA) in December 2016.

Interview

Application on line, contacted by recruiter, digital one-way interview, final round interview in the office, the recruitment process is through UHG and makes the process take a long time. The recruiter on my case left UHG at the time, no one told me or the Lewin Group and so I never heard back for months.

Senior Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Falls Church, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at The Lewin Group (Falls Church, VA).

Interview

Contacted by the recruiter who set up 30 minute phone interview followed by phone interview with management consultant and then on-site interview with 5 Sr. staff. Interviews were too closely scheduled and rushed. There was a lack of coordination among interviewees. The questions each interviewee asked were very similar and did not sufficiently get at the depth of my experience. Several interviewees seemed very unprepared. They missed an opportunity to learn about the wide range of my technical skills and experience. No opportunity to meet with staff at my level to get a feel for the variety of work across departments. Several people spent the entire time talking about their projects and neglected to ask any questions about my background until the last 2 minutes of the interview.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your background.
      Do you have experience managing proposals?
      Tell me about your management style.
      Do you have budgeting experience?
      Why are you interested in this company?
      Tell me about a project you managed.   Answer Question

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at The Lewin Group (Washington, DC) in November 2016.

Interview

I met with a recruiter on my college campus and then filled out a form online. They made me complete an online "virtual interview" that composed of me talking to a video camera. Then they called me and flew me out to DC. I had several interviews (maybe 4 as well as lunch) that started at 8 and ended around 3. Included in that time was a timed writing sample (about an hour to review some data). I got a response (rejection) after 2 months.

Interview Questions

• Give me an example of times you did {quantitative/qualitative} research.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at The Lewin Group (Washington, DC) in October 2016.

Interview

Very long and arduous, met with 6 different people over a span of 5 hours. You go to lunch with someone as a "break." One employee told my degree didn't really amount to anything.

Interview Questions

• A time when you experienced disappointment in your career   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Falls Church, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at The Lewin Group (Falls Church, VA) in May 2016.

Interview

Phase 1 was an interview with the recruitment officer. Very short. It was more a gatekeeper interview to see if you match the qualifications.

Phase 2 was an interview with a current Senior Research Analyst. Call took about 1hr. It was more of an opportunity for me to lay out my qualifications and ask questions.

Phase 3 was they flew me into Falls Church for the interview. It was an all day interview including 4 interviews. One interview for qualitative skills, one for quantitative skills, one for consulting skills, a lunch with a current employee which should be treated as an interview, and a writing sample.

However, they took over a month to get back to me that I did not receive an offer despite my attempts to get in contact with them. While it turns out they had a reason for this delay, I still found this frustrating and unprofessional.

Interview Questions

• They mostly wanted examples of different times I had faced difficulties in the workplace EG a project changes how do you change? They also wanted to know my specific quantitative skills.   Answer Question