The Museum of Science and Industry (Chicago) Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 7, 2017

2.7

Education Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at The Museum of Science and Industry (Chicago) (Chicago, IL) in January 2017.

Interview

The process took a couple months from submitting resume online to final interview with a mix of phone interviews, emails in between and in person, day long interview with different people. Overall it was a smooth process with a lot of wait time in between, but it was around the holidays and new year so that was probably a big factor in the time frame.

Interview Questions

• What kinds of things does an educator do in informal teaching?   Answer Question

Education Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at The Museum of Science and Industry (Chicago) (Chicago, IL) in December 2016.

Interview

My interview experience with MSI was very positive every step of the way which consisted of a phone interview and 2 rounds of in person interviews with CASE staff. Every staff member that I engaged with provided great insight on the demands and responsibilities of the position I was applying for; the environment I would be working in, and what's it's like to be a part of the MSI family.

Interview Questions

• I was asked about my experience working with the teenage population, and as to describe my approach to youth work and youth development.   Answer Question

Human Resource Business Partner Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at The Museum of Science and Industry (Chicago) (Chicago, IL) in November 2016.

Interview

After passing the phone screen the recruiter stayed in contact to alert me to what the next steps were. I met the VP of HR in a nearby coffee shop which allowed for a fair exchange of ideas, and took the nervousness out that you usually find in face to face interviews with an executive. The next interview was with the team who asked a wide array of questions. They all were very welcoming, but definitely were subject matter experts in their field of expertise. The final interview was with the VP, and the entire process took no more than 2 weeks. I was called to review the interview process, and that subsequently led to an offer.

Curator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at The Museum of Science and Industry (Chicago) (Chicago, IL) in October 2016.

Interview

I first applied online from the museum website. Then I was screened on the phone for about 30 minutes by a member of the HR department. Third, I had a 1-hour phone discussion with the head of the department to which I had applied. Finally, I came to the museum for one day of interviews - first with the department head, then with the rest of the department staff, and finally another member of museum staff.

Interview Questions

• Describe your previous experience with artifacts, acquisitions, deaccessions, etc.
      How would you re-organize our collection?
      What are your favorite museums?
      Answer Question

Events and Stewardship Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The Museum of Science and Industry (Chicago) (Chicago, IL) in September 2016.

Interview

I got emailed that I received an interview and there I spoke individually with two different people for about 15 minutes each. I then got a call back for a second interview and it was a similar process, but with two different people from the External Affairs department. The whole process was very smooth and easy. It gave me and the interviewers all a chance to get to know me and I with them. I thought it was cool that each interview was structured similarly but not one felt the same. Everyone involved is so unique and I really enjoyed being able to see all those different personalities come together. It made me more sure that I wanted to work here.

Interview Questions

• What my dream job is? Where I hope to see myself in the future?   Answer Question

Floor Development Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at The Museum of Science and Industry (Chicago) (Chicago, IL) in September 2016.

Interview

The interview process was in three rounds. The first round was a group interview that was completed in four parts. The second round was a solo interview. The third round was three solo interviews.

Facilitator I Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at The Museum of Science and Industry (Chicago) (Chicago, IL) in August 2016.

Interview

First, you apply online and then you receive an e-mail with various times to attend the audition. Upon arrival at the museum you are greeted by HR staff that provide you with various forms to be completed. They are cheerful and welcoming. Then, you begin the audition in a group (mine was 15 people) after receiving information from Heather Barnes about the vision and mission of the MSI. The audition consists of role playing improvisation games and then small science facilitating. After these activities, the interviewers ask questions relating to how your previous experience is applicable to the position.

Interview Questions

• They asked if I had had an experience with modifying my lessons for different groups in my previous position (teacher)?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There really was not a negotiation phase. They offered the position and you either accepted it or declined it.

Communications Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at The Museum of Science and Industry (Chicago) (Chicago, IL) in July 2016.

Interview

Went through a phone screen, then in person interview with 6 different people, then writing activity, then another in person interview with 4 different people. The hiring process took a long time and they often seemed fairly disorganized.

Guest Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at The Museum of Science and Industry (Chicago) (Chicago, IL).

Interview

It was very easy and and the managers were friendly. I interviewed with three managers and the process really didn't take that long. They loved my personality and called me the next week to do paper work

Interview Questions

• Tell me a little about yourself   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation

Facilitator I Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at The Museum of Science and Industry (Chicago).

Interview

Group interview with a dozen other candidates. Group activities, a lot of roleplaying between everbody. They also asked individuals specific questions in front of everybody. There is one interview leader guiding things along but 3 or 4 people on the side taking notes. The last activity is giving people random weird equipment and then having them explain them to the group after a few minutes.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at the Museum of Science and Industry?   Answer Question