The Nerdery Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 26, 2017

3.1

PHP Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The Nerdery (Chicago, IL) in March 2017.

Interview

Initial phone interview with HR staff member. We reviewed my employment history and specific technologies employed. She asked my salary requirements. Overall, it was a pleasant conversation and not stressful.

Android Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at The Nerdery in February 2017.

Interview

I know what you're thinking, "There's a job here somewhere." *** BUZZER SOUND ***

I applied through indeed, then got an email asking me to schedule a call. The day before the call I come here to Glassdoor and read the reviews. I realize, "This is just one of those companies that is 100% sure it knows what it wants. So not only do they want a specialist, but they need a specialist to tell them that they want a specialist in the first place." By which I mean, some MBA told them how to structure their hiring and recruiting department to filter out engineers and hire only mechanics. That is what they are looking for, "Android mechanics."

The net is wide (the whole US) so I should have listened to my instinct and canceled the interview before wasting my time. The girl I spoke to had already spoken to 20 devs (I know because I asked). This is for one "job." I put that in quotes, because it's only a job for the one guy who gets it, the other 300 people waste their time, at one half-hour, per, that's 150 billable hours.

Interview Questions

• What do you use for data persistence?   1 Answer

The Nerdery Response

Feb 28, 2017 – Director of Talent Acquisition, Culture, and Engagement

This is Cassi Hansen- First of all, thank you for considering a position at The Nerdery and taking the time to interview with the team. I’m sorry that you did not find the time valuable. It’s true ... More

Android Engineer Interview

Interview

Contacted by recruiter. Gave me a coding challenge and stated this was between 4-8 hours.

I spent like two hours on it with basic functionality since I do value my time.

IOS Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at The Nerdery (Minneapolis, MN) in November 2016.

Interview

Get the one hour phone call to see if you're not too much of a dweeb, not too much of a cool guy. They ask you about what you like to do when you're not working so make sure you have something to say. I can't fathom anyone who'd want to work for their whole life but I guess there are nerds out there that have no life. I've seen their video and surely they got some weird folks working there who like collecting receipts with some special type of recycled paper. Then they give you a nerd assessment test which turns out to be a waste of a day's time.

Client-Side Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at The Nerdery (Minneapolis, MN) in May 2016.

Interview

After submitting your resume, you will receive a phone interview if they determine your skillset matches their requirements. The phone interview is fairly laid back with general questions to make sure you will "fit in" with the company culture and can back up your resume. Then comes the N.A.T. assessment test. You are required to complete an application using whatever means you wish. This all seems fine until you click submit and wait for a response. If you are under the assumption that if you choose a method they don't use or are not fond of, they'll simply get you up-to-speed on their methods during the next round of the interview process--you are out-of-luck. As developers know, there are multiple ways to achieve a final product. It appears The Nerdery simply "knows" the best route and will let you know it in your feedback. That information would have been great to know prior to the N.A.T. so a developer could, you know...use those methods. What a novel idea! The best part is you are not allowed to respond to their feedback. They simply dispense it. And you cannot modify your N.A.T. after learning what the requirements are after taking it. That's it. You're done. Without an open communication process at this very early stage, I can only imagine what it's like working there. Are your concerns/ideas/methods given any merit or are you simply a cog in the machine. I really wanted to like The Nerdery, but in the end I think I may have dodged a bullet. It's hard to know.

Interview Questions

• There wasn't a particular question that was unexpected/difficult.   1 Answer

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at The Nerdery (Minneapolis, MN) in January 2016.

Interview

I applied on their web site. First phone call with HR person who asked me general project management questions and that step number two would be a mini project to work on and then the third step would be to come into the office. After they asked questions, it was my turn and it was very difficult to get information on their culture and ways of working. I received a decline with zero information as to why.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here? A lot of situational questions on having to handle the delivery of bad news. This was a red flag to me as it seems there are limited company resources that have to struggle to prioritize which project work they have to do.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, MN

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at The Nerdery (Bloomington, MN).

Interview

I had an initial phone interview or two, then the "Nerdery Assessment Test" which consisted of building an application that took around 10 hours (I believe they're making one that will take less time), and then a code review after that to go over my project with some engineers. I got an offer fairly quickly after the interview process, and they were willing to negotiate my salary.

Interview Questions

• What could I have changed to make my application more efficient?   Answer Question

Java Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at The Nerdery (Chicago, IL) in August 2015.

Interview

Applied through LinkedIn. The process was simple. They emailed back to set up a phone interview. The phone interview was a couple days later. They were flexible on when to have the phone interview. Phone interview was simple. Mostly asked about your resume and experience. They wanted to get an idea of the type of person you are. The person who I talked to was very nice.

Sales Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The Nerdery.

Interview

Applied online and received a call the next day to schedule an interview with the recruiter. Interview with recruiter was a normal skills and culture fit interview. Went in for 2nd Interview and had a room of the recruiter,hiring manager and a "would be" peer. Asked standard questions about why you want to work there.. etc

Have a very interesting comp structure for sales people. . It has a very cool customers just not sure it is the best for sales people.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here? What would you do in the first 60 to 90 days.   Answer Question

Comp structure is very skewed toward the company

User Experience Designer, Visual Design Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at The Nerdery (Chicago, IL) in May 2015.

Interview

Called by HR. Did an informal interview over the phone. Asked to do a test to design a web and mobile page, then had in person interview with 2 designers and manager.

When talking about your test, supply all sketches and ideas that you to help come up with the idea or ideas. I would suggest take the day off before and be prepared. The group I interviewed with were really nice.