The Nerdery Interview Questions | Glassdoor

The Nerdery Interview Questions

Updated Oct 5, 2017

.NET Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The Nerdery.

Interview

HR phone call followed by coding exercise, build an app using .Net, they send you the requirements, and from there you build it and submit it, within 7 days or so.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at The Nerdery (Chicago, IL).

Interview

The Interview Process was quick and efficient, but that was the only really good thing about it. I received an offer from them in writing after my second round interview and was told to give notice of leaving at my current job (as the offer was contingent on me not being at my previous company any longer); it wasn't until after I had left my job that they rescinded their offer with no warning and to this day refused to give reason as to why. They have stopped responding to my emails and "ghosted" me for weeks.

As a direct result of them I was out of work. What they did was unprofessional and immoral, I would highly discourage anyone from trusting their word, even in writing.

Interview Questions

• There was a coding challenge to build a Change Machine (given a dollar or change amount what would the result be in USD coins)   1 Answer

Front End Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The Nerdery (Chicago, IL) in June 2017.

Interview

The hiring process began with a phone interview so that they could learn about my background. After that I was sent and completed a 10-hour coding assignment. Then, I had a friendly panel interview with some of their senior front-end devs, where they reviewed my coding assignment and asked me about my design decisions.

Interview Questions

• How do you estimate how long a programming task will take you?   Answer Question
    • Do you use a version control system? If so, which one?   Answer Question
    • What front-end frameworks are you most comfortable with?   Answer Question
    • Give a short summary of your background as a developer.   Answer Question

Full Stack Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The Nerdery (Minneapolis, MN) in April 2017.

Interview

Quick phone call, and then a 10 hour project to build.

Think twice before giving up a day for them. You would think that if you spent a day building the project, they could at least let you know something. Is my time worth nothing? Does it not compare to the two minutes it would take them to email me? Very rude, and not the type of company I would ever want to work for.

PHP Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The Nerdery (Chicago, IL) in March 2017.

Interview

Initial phone interview with HR staff member. We reviewed my employment history and specific technologies employed. She asked my salary requirements. Overall, it was a pleasant conversation and not stressful.

Android Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at The Nerdery in February 2017.

Interview

I know what you're thinking, "There's a job here somewhere." *** BUZZER SOUND ***

I applied through indeed, then got an email asking me to schedule a call. The day before the call I come here to Glassdoor and read the reviews. I realize, "This is just one of those companies that is 100% sure it knows what it wants. So not only do they want a specialist, but they need a specialist to tell them that they want a specialist in the first place." By which I mean, some MBA told them how to structure their hiring and recruiting department to filter out engineers and hire only mechanics. That is what they are looking for, "Android mechanics."

The net is wide (the whole US) so I should have listened to my instinct and canceled the interview before wasting my time. The girl I spoke to had already spoken to 20 devs (I know because I asked). This is for one "job." I put that in quotes, because it's only a job for the one guy who gets it, the other 300 people waste their time, at one half-hour, per, that's 150 billable hours.

Interview Questions

• What do you use for data persistence?   1 Answer

The Nerdery Response

Feb 28, 2017 – Director of Talent Acquisition, Culture, and Engagement

This is Cassi Hansen- First of all, thank you for considering a position at The Nerdery and taking the time to interview with the team. I’m sorry that you did not find the time valuable. It’s true... More

Android Engineer Interview

Interview

Contacted by recruiter. Gave me a coding challenge and stated this was between 4-8 hours.

I spent like two hours on it with basic functionality since I do value my time.

IOS Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at The Nerdery (Minneapolis, MN) in November 2016.

Interview

Get the one hour phone call to see if you're not too much of a dweeb, not too much of a cool guy. They ask you about what you like to do when you're not working so make sure you have something to say. I can't fathom anyone who'd want to work for their whole life but I guess there are nerds out there that have no life. I've seen their video and surely they got some weird folks working there who like collecting receipts with some special type of recycled paper. Then they give you a nerd assessment test which turns out to be a waste of a day's time.

Client-Side Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at The Nerdery (Minneapolis, MN) in May 2016.

Interview

After submitting your resume, you will receive a phone interview if they determine your skillset matches their requirements. The phone interview is fairly laid back with general questions to make sure you will "fit in" with the company culture and can back up your resume. Then comes the N.A.T. assessment test. You are required to complete an application using whatever means you wish. This all seems fine until you click submit and wait for a response. If you are under the assumption that if you choose a method they don't use or are not fond of, they'll simply get you up-to-speed on their methods during the next round of the interview process--you are out-of-luck. As developers know, there are multiple ways to achieve a final product. It appears The Nerdery simply "knows" the best route and will let you know it in your feedback. That information would have been great to know prior to the N.A.T. so a developer could, you know...use those methods. What a novel idea! The best part is you are not allowed to respond to their feedback. They simply dispense it. And you cannot modify your N.A.T. after learning what the requirements are after taking it. That's it. You're done. Without an open communication process at this very early stage, I can only imagine what it's like working there. Are your concerns/ideas/methods given any merit or are you simply a cog in the machine. I really wanted to like The Nerdery, but in the end I think I may have dodged a bullet. It's hard to know.

Interview Questions

• There wasn't a particular question that was unexpected/difficult.   1 Answer

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at The Nerdery (Minneapolis, MN) in January 2016.

Interview

I applied on their web site. First phone call with HR person who asked me general project management questions and that step number two would be a mini project to work on and then the third step would be to come into the office. After they asked questions, it was my turn and it was very difficult to get information on their culture and ways of working. I received a decline with zero information as to why.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here? A lot of situational questions on having to handle the delivery of bad news. This was a red flag to me as it seems there are limited company resources that have to struggle to prioritize which project work they have to do.   Answer Question