Family Services of Westchester Interview Question: The Program Director went thr... | Glassdoor

Interview Question

Adoption Social Worker Interview Port Chester, NY

The Program Director went through my resume and gave me the

opportunity to demonstrate how the skills I had developed could be put to use in the position being offered. We had a good give and take about their client base, and what they needed in the person who they would hire. She gave me a hypothetical situation about a gay couple that wanted to adopt a child, and asked how I would handle it.
Answer

Interview Answer

1 Answer

I responded that I would evaluate them the same way I would any other couple who wanted to become adoptive parents. I would provide an orientation to the adoptive process, the agency, the rules and regulations governing adoption, and answer any questions they may have. Then I would explore the following issues with them: the reasons why they want to take this step; whether each of them has fully embraced the decision to adopt; why they feel that they are ready to do so; what hesitations they may have; how they currently resolve problems within their relationship concerning boundary issues, finances, household chores, free time, etc., and whether they have developed a plan for sharing the child care responsibilities. I would ask about reaction of their friends and family to their decision to adopt (whether a child would be embraced within this network, and whether members of this group be willing to be a resource for them, and for the child). I would explore potential challenges that may lie ahead related to the background of the child such as medical or emotional issues, as well as potential community reaction to their role as parents, and potential scenarios for coping with these challenges, and encourage them to participate in post adoption support groups. I would inform them of regulatory considerations such as the child's bedroom being on the same floor of their residence, water testing (if they are on a well), their financial capacity to provide for the child, the state of their own health, etc, and explain the difference between open and closed adoptions.

Interview Candidate on Jul 13, 2015

Add Answers or Comments

To comment on this, Sign In or Sign Up.