The RealReal Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at The RealReal

2.5

Regional Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at The RealReal (San Francisco, CA) in August 2017.

Interview

The interview process was very responsive and I had my interviews set up quickly. They also made good use of my time there by scheduling in person and Google Hangout meetings all on the same day.

Interview Questions

• They asked me a lot about my Leadership style as they are a company that cares deeply about their employees and want the cultural right fit.   Answer Question

Sales Development Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at The RealReal.

Interview

I should've known from the start this would be a horrible experience. I tried to ignore these negative reviews, thinking "oh, it can't be that bad!" Well, just the interview process alone was unprofessional and demeaning so I can't even imagine working there. The original recruiter missed our phone interview TWICE and I had to follow up with her three times via email to secure the second phone call. (She tried to blame my phone when I was home from work all day with it next to me) After getting through the second round to the next recruiter, I felt that maybe there was a light at the end of the tunnel. She lead me to believe this would be a professional and rewarding experience...very wrong. When I arrived for my on-site interview, they were 20 minutes late with the previous interview. The women via skype were INCREDIBLY rude and acted like they couldn't be bothered. One of them even started texting on her phone. The general annoyance I felt was perplexing, but maybe it was attributed to their overall unhappiness in their jobs.
    TLDR: Just steer clear. They are clearly lying to you about the position and are eager to overwork and judge you in a totally unprofessional environment.

Interview Questions

The RealReal Response

Sep 5, 2017 – Head of People

I am sorry to hear of your experience. We want every interaction to be positive and this was not. Thanks for your feedback so that we can improve.

Product Receiver Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brisbane, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at The RealReal (Brisbane, CA).

Interview

Quick note: make sure you know who you're meeting with, as there is security at the front door and you will be asked.

The interview: mostly general interview questions. "What type of work environment do you work best in?" "How have you dealt with an issue to avoid it being too stressful for you or your peers?"

Important: I was given a 'test' in which I was asked to identify different brands of bags and shoes, and describe different articles of clothing and shoes. If you're familiar with luxury brands and their signature pieces, you should be fine. I personally struggled a bit even though I did some research beforehand.

Interview Questions

• "How have you dealt with an issue to avoid it being too stressful for you or your peers?"   Answer Question

Photo Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Secaucus, NJ

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at The RealReal (Secaucus, NJ) in July 2017.

Interview

They show you around the whole warehouse then drop you off at the photography department to dress the mannequin for several shots. You get to talk to some of the employees there and see what a "typical" day looks like. They go over the contract and the requirements for the job. It's an extremely easy job to get as the turnover rate is insanely high. Read some of the reviews on this site and you'll see what its like.

Interview Questions

• They really dont ask many questions.   5 Answers

Associate Luxury Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at The RealReal (New York, NY) in July 2017.

Interview

Phone Interview, Followed up by an in office interview, followed up by a shadow appointment. It is hard to schedule the shadow interview because consignors sometimes reschedule last minute. Dress professional but with your own personal style!!

Interview Questions

• Are you familiar with consignment?   1 Answer

Photo Production Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The RealReal.

Interview

Very unprofessional organization and that's why it has such a low rating, 2.4. Numbers don't lie. I had already been super skeptical about interviewing here as the reviews on Glassdoor make the company sound absolutely horrible and it seems with reason.

I had applied to the Photo Production Assistant position based out of their Secaucus, NJ location. The day after I sent in my application a recruiter contacted me to schedule a phone interview, we were confirmed to speak the following day in the afternoon. As the time rolled around she never called me so I sent her an email to follow up and see if there had been a change, i.e. if they had decided to move on with another candidate or if they just weren't interested in my application. No response.

I understand that I applied to this role first but please, don't waste my or anyone elses' time. If you're no longer interested, just say that.

The RealReal Response

Sep 5, 2017 – Head of People

So sorry about your experience. It certainly was disappointing to read, and worse for you. We have made a lot of changes in our HR and Recruitment team--which cannot take away from this, but we hope we are better now.

Valuation Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brisbane, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at The RealReal (Brisbane, CA) in June 2017.

Interview

On site interview. Was tested on gemological knowledge with an assessment test that must have been put together by someone with no gemological education. Expected to Id stones with a half dozen useless tools and none of the tools that are necessary to test stones. Not sure how the company can identify anything with the equipment they have available. Questions made no sense. And was instructed to sight id stones from poor xerox copied images. Any legitimate gemologist knows better than to id a stone in that way. Images were of imitation stones not the genuine ones they thought they were. It was so ridiculous I walked out after the interview thinking...this place is definitely not for me.

Recruiting Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The RealReal (San Francisco, CA) in June 2017.

Interview

I had 1 brief phone screen with the recruiter, another phone screen with the hiring manager and a finally on-site interview with the team. Overall candidate experience was great! The recruiter was very transparent, and she followed up with me within an hour of each interview.

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at The RealReal (Jersey City, NJ) in June 2017.

Interview

They worked very fast, kept me informed every step of the way. The Recruiter was very knowledgeable about the company and its culture. I interviewed with 5 people from different departments and everyone was professional and considerate of my time.

Interview Questions

• Asked me to share experiences of difficult business partners I had to deal with and describe a situation.   1 Answer

Luxury Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The RealReal.

Interview

Recruiter scheduled a phone interview but failed to contact me at the scheduled date/time.
    Received an apologetic email a few days later with request for a rescheduled interview.
    I had a horrible headache but I suffered through the process. Not the smoothest interview as, a few minutes into it, I realized I was being interviewed for a different position. By then I had lost faith in the company & declined to proceed.

Interview Questions

• What was your least favorite part of your old/current job   1 Answer