The San Francisco Chronicle Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jan 31, 2017

2.6

Paid Search Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at The San Francisco Chronicle (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

The interview process was quick, called me in the middle of the week for an interview Friday. I never received a call back from them. The job seemed interesting, but also sounded small scale.

Interview Questions

• I was asked a few generic paid questions about the size of campaigns I had run, the size etc.   1 Answer

Human Resources Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at The San Francisco Chronicle (San Francisco, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

The process was quick and effective. I spoke to the people in which I would be working with, it was great! The phone screen with thorough and the in-person interview was with 3 individuals. All together the in-person interview took around 1.5 hours.

Editorial Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at The San Francisco Chronicle in July 2016.

Interview

Phone interview with questions focused on relevant job experience. Interviewer was pretty dry and robotic--couldn't gauge interest and satisfaction as an employee. Conversation didn't encourage or inspire creativity, leaving me significantly less excited about the role when interview ended. Never heard back from interviewer.

Interview Questions

• Tell me how your past experiences qualify you for this position.   Answer Question

Classified Sales Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at The San Francisco Chronicle (San Francisco, CA) in October 2015.

Interview

Phone screen. brought onsite for 3 interviews. Told I made next round, the HR contact never scheduled it. Didn't return calls or emails. Zero explanation. VERY UNPROFESSIONAL HR Rep. Mind boggling. No thanks

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The San Francisco Chronicle (San Francisco, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

I interviewed with 5 managers including the VP of Sales. All brought a depth of knowledge to the process which allowed me to see how I could be contribute to their goals.

Interview Questions

• What ideas would you bring to the company that would increase revenue?   1 Answer

Multimedia Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at The San Francisco Chronicle (San Mateo, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

Although I was told for several months when I followed up after submitting my CV, that the HR person had "no idea" who the hiring manager was, and couldn't help me, I got an email out of the blue from some new blood, a man who said he got me, got "it". and promised me transparency and prompt follow-up, even getting me on the phone with a long-time regional manager the same day. From there it went totally south.

Interview Questions

• Usual and customary questions, such as why I would want to work selling print and multi-media services when my background encompasses both, and I felt it was self-evident about my skill-set, experience and what I bring to the table.   2 Answers

Multimedia Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at The San Francisco Chronicle (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Very easy. I came in a referral and was offered a job at the interview. I was informed of the expectations and was surprised that the vast majority of sales reps worked a a 7.5 hour work day. Almost no one worked late. That has changed since I was initially hired.

Interview Questions

• N/A They asked standard sales development questions.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I negotiated additional vacation. There is little wiggle room as the sales team is unionized. Offer was based upon years of experience.

Circulation Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at The San Francisco Chronicle (San Francisco, CA) in August 2014.

Interview

I was contacted by HR and asked to come on site for an interview. We confirmed a date over the phone, and she said she would send me an agenda for the interview. After 3 days, I had to follow up with her to check on the agenda, which she said she had forgotten about, and emailed over to me. The interview was fine, 6 people individually(one session had 2 people), and at the end of the interview I was shown out by the final interviewer, no final contact with HR. I followed up with them after a week, and again after two weeks, but never heard anything back. If you've taken the time to reach out to someone for an interview, respect them enough to at least tell them they did not get the job. Leaving people hanging is shoddy HR.

Interview Questions

• Not anything difficult, mostly around PM experience, a lot of giving context to the role as it was a newly created position.   Answer Question

Copy Editor Interview

Application

Interview

Interviews filled a full workday. I talked with HR reps, the copy desk chief, the executive editor and more. I sat in on the afternoon newsroom meeting where editors determine what will go on the front page. I applied and got no response, but then I met a higher-up at an industry event and that person moved my application forward, so networking is important. As a copy editor, I also had to pass an editing and headline-writing test. Do your homework.

Interview Questions

• I suppose the editing/headline test was the most difficult part, especially the portions where I needed to write headlines about a story to fit a particular space. Pay attention to detail!   Answer Question

Negotiation

I named a high number, the other person named one slightly lower, and we compromised in the middle. I raised my minimum salary given the cost of living in the Bay Area. Don't underestimate that cost!

Staff Reporter & Writer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at The San Francisco Chronicle (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

For a reporter or assignment / desk editor job: he best way to get hired is to write directly to the Department Head (City Editor, Features / Datebook Editor, Deputy Managing Editor for Features).

For copy-editing job, write to head of copy editors. Sorry, forgot that title.

Avoid HR.

Write a kick-ass cover letter, and send resume.

If you know anyone who works there, have them put in a plug. Like everywhere, it is who you know.

Getting an interview is more than half the work. For newsroom job on interview day, you will talk to the department head, an assignment editor, a few colleagues, then the Managing Editor and/or Executive Editor. All 1 on 1, no group interview. Most done in a single day....

Very mellow, surprisingly. Not a grueling interrogation at all. If you've gotten to the interview stage, they want to like you. The job is almost yours -- unless you kick it away.

I think they called one reference. No written tests (except, I'm sure, for copy editors) -- except maybe a drug test? Can't remember.

BTW, it's a fast process. It's a Yes or No within days!

Interview Questions

• Shockingly, for a bunch of journalists, they ask very few good or hard-ball questions. It's mostly chatter about your experience. Be enthusiastic. Be friendly. Don't try to impress -- comes off arrogant. (Most in newsroom did NOT come from Ivy League or big city newspapers; there's a real inferiority complex // defensiveness there!) Like everywhere else, people hire less on resumes and more on who they like.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Get it ALL up front!!!!!!! You will never see a raise (other than union raise, which is paltry, at best)!

There's always a teeny bit of play on salary. Maybe $50-$100 from their initial offer. Salaries are really awful., especially for a major newspaper in such an expensive city. Of course, ideal if you have another offer or at least another interview with another newspaper ....

**Call up the Newspaper Guild BEFORE your interview, and find out what the salary ranges are for the job you're applying for! NOT just the Guild minimum, but what people are actually making!

**Try to get at least one extra week vacation -- it's easy for them to give up.