The Scripps Research Institute Interview Questions in San Diego, CA | Glassdoor

The Scripps Research Institute Interview Questions in San Diego, CA

Updated Jan 23, 2017

2.5

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at The Scripps Research Institute (San Diego, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

Interviewed with technical recruiter and it was a standard interview. Met with the deparmtent chair, a grad student, and associate professor inside the laboratory to discuss previous research, and it was oddly a relaxed conversation.

Interview Questions

• Technical Recruiter:
      What are your career plans in 2 years? and 5 years?
      Tell me a time your work was criticized.
      What skills do you want to gain?
      What do you hate about working in a lab?
      What type of personalities do you prefer to work with?
      What are your favorite accomplishments in your previous work?

Department:
      What is kcat and km?
      What is your favorite course and why?
      Tell me about your previous research.
      Answer Question

Senior Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in La Jolla, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at The Scripps Research Institute (La Jolla, CA).

Interview

I actually contacted the PI to see if he had an opening for someone with my skills. He said that at the time he was looking more for Postdocs. I asked him to keep me in mind for the future. I contacted him again a month later and we discussed a position for me. In the end I was offered a position.

Interview Questions

• My skill set, type of experiments I perform on a regular basis.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I didn't negotiate for anything. I really wanted to stay at TSRI so I was happy to keep my current pay.

Research Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at The Scripps Research Institute (San Diego, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

Filled an application online and i received an email with various times and dates to schedule an interview about 1 week and a half after filling out application. First is an interview with HR, very technical questions. Mostly behavioral and if you are able to move around freely or lift certain weight. Then some prepared question of technical stuff. After about 1 hour i was sent to the lab for an interview with the PI and the group. The PI had a conference call so i waited for about 40 mins for the interview. He told me all about the lab and things he expected me to do in the lab. At the end he gave me a quiz and told me to turn it it when i was done and go take a look at the lab if i wanted to.

Interview Questions

• can you work overtime and come during weekends if needed?   Answer Question

Research Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at The Scripps Research Institute (San Diego, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

I got a phone call and was asked to describe my work experience and background. It was pretty easy and had two people interview me over the phone. Got the job in about a week later.

Internship Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at The Scripps Research Institute (San Diego, CA) in December 2015.

Interview

Usually you will meet with the PI and the post-doc and have a conversation about your lab experience . At the meantime they will explain their research goal to you. It takes around 30-45mins

Interview Questions

• Basically they will ask your lab experience and why you are interested in this lab. If you are a current student, they will ask if you have taken any lab or courses that are related to the research.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at The Scripps Research Institute (La Jolla, CA) in October 2015.

Interview

- Phone interview with HR to go over basics of my resume
    - One on one interview with HR in their office to ask more in depth questions about me and my resume
    - One on one interview with director, manager, and EH&S staff

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at The Scripps Research Institute (San Diego, CA) in August 2015.

Interview

First step was general HR interview with easy questions. Then you meet the PI afterward. Not many questions there other than explaining what skills you have and why you want to be there.

Interview Questions

• Describe a scenario in which you were criticized and how you reacted.   Answer Question

Research Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at The Scripps Research Institute (San Diego, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

Applied online through Scripps careers. Received a call from HR next day to try and schedule an interview for the same week. 1:1 meeting with HR recruiter from prepared questions, then, if appropriate they call PI. If PI deems it appropriate after HR call, you can meet in another building (even though you're already scheduled for interview with PI, which is weird and unusual). PI meeting was quick, focused too much on brief summer internships. No lab tour or meet and greet with lab members (clue for not getting position). No word from HR to candidates not chosen (expect candidate to check position status online through Scripps)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in La Jolla, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at The Scripps Research Institute (La Jolla, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

Applied through online and got a call from HR to schedule a time to interview HR and then PI. Interview with HR and PI were both about 30 minutes long more or less. HR confirms and asks you general questions and PI is more research specific. The entire process was via phone.

Interview Questions

• How do you manage challenges in lab? What are your shortcomings? How do you want to grow as a researcher?   Answer Question

Lab Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at The Scripps Research Institute (San Diego, CA).

Interview

I submitted my resume online. The staff hiring manager contacted me through email and told me to pick a day to schedule my interview. Most communication was done by email Come interview day, I went into the lab, had a conversation with 4 of the other lab members, mostly me asking them questions. Then after the head researcher interviewed me and we had like a 10 minute talk.

Interview Questions

• How would you describe yourself?

Do you have any questions for me?
      Answer Question