The Spaceship Company Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Sort:
  1. Featured Interview

Avionics Hardware Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mojave, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at The Spaceship Company (Mojave, CA) in June 2018.

Interview

After viewing the first rocket powered flight of SpaceShipTwo in April '18 I applied online including a very complementary cover letter expressing how impressed I was with the flight and how much I felt my experience could apply to their continuing efforts. Some days later I received an email requesting me to participate in a Spark Hire one-way video interview. This was a most interesting experience! I felt a bit awkward at first speaking to my webcam, but it got easier. Next I received a request to complete an avionics quiz. I was sent a file with 8 questions to answer within 8 hours of receipt of the email. After successful completion of the quiz (which took nearly 8 hrs) I was given an invite for the on-site interview. The on-site was organized as 3 groups of 2 interviewers each for 1 hr with each group. Then a tour of the facility! During the tour questions were asked of me as to my familiarity with some avionics design aspects of the vehicles. Last was a meeting with an HR representative. The entire interview was approximately 5 hrs. Within days of the on-site I was given an offer! The entire process was interesting and challenging! The entire process was also very professionally handled by all TSC personnel.

Interview Questions

• What is my experience with aircraft avionics?   1 Answer
    • What is my experience with electronics design in the areas of sensors, signal conditioning, data acquisition, FPGAs, microcontrollers, and display devices.   1 Answer
    • What is my experience with PCB layout?   1 Answer
    • A block diagram of a system was drawn on the whiteboard and 4 scenarios were described in which an aspect of the system was exhibiting an anomaly. I was asked to describe the likely cause of each anomaly.   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mojave, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at The Spaceship Company (Mojave, CA) in January 2018.

Interview

Video screening, then technical interview 3-4 weeks later. Interviewed with the avionics team, received questions on previous projects and related work experience. Was told I would receive a response soon after but did not receive any follow up since. Great company and vision, but would have appreciated an update from HR instead of leaving candidates waiting.

Interview Questions

• How do you determine airspeed for a spacecraft indicator?   Answer Question

Materials Handler Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mojave, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at The Spaceship Company (Mojave, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

Brought in 4 different people from the department to "help" interview only to find out later that none of those individuals have any say whatsoever in choosing who gets hired. You have to know someone who works here or be related to get a job.

Interview Questions

• I was asked the typical interview questions that anyone can pull off of Google.   Answer Question

Stress Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at The Spaceship Company.

Interview

There were two panel interviews with people that I would be working with. There were technical questions and multiple hypothetical question about how I would handle certain situations. The questions were good and relevant to my job.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle a situation if the project lead disagrees to the number of tests you requested to validate the design and analysis?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Mojave, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at The Spaceship Company (Mojave, CA) in July 2013.

Interview

Pretty thorough interview focused mainly on technical abilities. There were some personality questions and many technical questions. There are also questions asking to elaborate on past projects. I was interviewed by several people both one-on-one and in panels. Each session focused on something different. They were very interested in making sure it was a good fit personality wise but also wanted to make sure my technical abilities were sound. Overall it was a pretty well-balanced interview.

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between adhesive and cohesive failure in a bonded lap joint? Which failure mode is preferable and why?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Mojave, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at The Spaceship Company (Mojave, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

Informal, but lots of detailed problem solving questions. If you mention a skill on your resume, be prepared to prove it in the interview. Interviewed with multiple groups of people ranging from future co-workers to management. HR gave an overview of the company and benefits and asked salary expectations. Process was very transparent and quick. Interviewed on Friday and had an offer on Monday morning.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work in the commercial spaceflight industry?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Mojave, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at The Spaceship Company (Mojave, CA) in April 2016.

Interview

Phone interview with HR. Then phone interview with hiring manager. Interview and facility tour the following week. The interview started with a 1:1 with the manger. Then 45 minute interviews with team members two at a time. total interview lasted around six hours.

Interview Questions

• Example of technical issue. What would you do in this situation?   1 Answer

Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mojave, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at The Spaceship Company (Mojave, CA) in July 2018.

Interview

The interview process was quite smooth. Coordination was fantastic, everyone was amazingly nice, and more conversational than formal. You can tell they make a strong effort to make the experience positive for the candidate. My interview was over 5 hours with about 10 people so expect a longer process with multiple panels. Overall, this was one of the more enjoyable interview experiences.

Business Support Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mojave, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at The Spaceship Company (Mojave, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

First there was a phone call with the general questions about two weeks after submitting application online. Then there was a video Interview (which was my first one in 15 years of employment), for whatever reason I felt it was the most difficult portion as you cannot get a read for your answer you gave. Finally then an On-Site interview.

Business Support Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mojave, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The Spaceship Company (Mojave, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

I was first scheduled for a phone interview. That went well, so I was invited to use an app and record my answers through video for a preliminary interview. I was then selected for an in person interview.

Interview Questions

• What was a challenging situation you handled in the past? How did you handle it?   Answer Question

People Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mojave, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at The Spaceship Company (Mojave, CA) in July 2017.

Interview

Start with a 30 min. phone interview, then a Spark hire interview where you record yourself answering generic interview questions, then a panel interview day consisting of 3 different interview panels and a tour.