The Standard Interview Questions | Glassdoor

The Standard Interview Questions

Updated Jun 17, 2017

Case Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at The Standard.

Interview

Had to go through 4 separate rounds of interviews. By the end of it I had interviewed with 6 different people (including the recruiter). Questions were insanely difficult in and of themselves not to mention trying to answer them in the required format they wanted. They are the behavioral based questions, but trust and believe they are not the typical or "common" ones you will find on google. I'm a relatively educated and well spoken person, and I really struggled to answer their questions appropriately. Hands down the most difficult interview I've had so far. I prepared for hours, and yet I was incredibly unprepared. Good luck.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you used data and logic to present information in order to persuade an individual on a difficult subject?

(Keep in mind you cannot just answer the question the way it comes to you, you have to answer using their 5-point format)   Answer Question

Senior Business Systems Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at The Standard (Portland, OR) in July 2015.

Interview

Two separate panels, each one hour each. First Directors then mid level managers. The interview was intense with 4 persons on each panel and at least 25 questions asked per panel.

Interview Questions

• What are the first 5 things you would do once you are accepted for the position?   1 Answer

LTD Claims Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at The Standard (Portland, OR) in January 2015.

Interview

I went on the interview and afterward they said if I got hired they would decide later what team I would be on and who my manager would be. I never got a call or email so I called HR and they were no help. I never did get a call telling me the status. When I did try to reach someone it was impossible.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you dealt with a difficult customer.   1 Answer

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at The Standard (Hillsboro, OR).

Interview

Standard is SLOW! I worked as a temp employee on multiple occasions at different locations (downtown and Tanasbourne mainly), for multiple assignments, particularly CTA department. They ask a LOT of behavior based questions and a lot of them are redundant, yet they continue to probe. You feel like you are repeating your answers and I don't think they seem to care about culture fit or actual experience, but want to see what type of scenarios you can share with them of situations where you encountered certain challenges, conflicts, etc.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time when you had to work with a colleague that you didn't agree with and how you were able to resolve differences and get a project completed while working with that person.   Answer Question

Benefits Claims Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lynchburg, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at The Standard (Lynchburg, VA) in July 2016.

Interview

This company boots about how they are all about the community and helping it's customers. Well this company is a big joke. They make you jump through hoops to get an in person interview. You get all dressed up because it states business professional and the interviewer is in business casual dress wear. Then it states to bring 2 copies of your resume and the interviewer never even asked for it. Then they say you need to make sure your contact information formation is correct because we will be calling you with a job offer. Well, you sit around and wait and wait. The finally you get an email stating you are now no longer being considered for the position.

Nurse Case Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at The Standard (Portland, OR) in January 2016.

Interview

A lot of red tape and waste of time. The whole process took 6 weeks with a phone interview, an online test, and a 3 hour panel interview with a surprise written test at the end. And when I say "written", I mean actually writing pen on paper. They operate mostly on paper so you will have to turn back the clock and get used to hand-writing full pages of notes. They wanted me to review a 15 page chart and write a full page recommendation in a format that they didn't tell me they wanted it in until I was done. Oh, and it was timed. The only good part of the experience was not getting the job.

Interview Questions

• They had two separate panels interviewing me and they asked me the same questions. They wanted me to answer in a format that they did not give to me until I was done answering. It was similar to what nurses know as SBAR (Situation, Background, Assessment, Recommendation) but they had their own version of it that they didn't give to me until the end. It seemed very scripted and the interviewers seemed shackled to these stock questions that were redundant. When I asked the nurses what one piece of advice they would give to The Standard for their jobs to improve, they basically threw their manager under the bus and said she needed to listen to them.   1 Answer

Project Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at The Standard (Portland, OR) in July 2014.

Interview

I was introduced to the senior director for the PMO department. She interviewed me one on one. The questions that she asked pertain primarily to the dashboard of the projects in her department and how I would track and implement the tracking of the information. We discussed my professional background and my experience in various fields of projects.

Interview Questions

• What is your level working with Project Server, project 360 and integrations.   1 Answer

Disability Benefits Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at The Standard (Portland, OR) in June 2014.

Interview

First was a phone interview then an online assessment and lastly a panel interview. The phone interview was with an outside company. If you pass they send an online assessment based on math and writing. It wasn't super difficult but it is timed. The panel interview is with three managers.

Interview Questions

• They asked all behavior questions focused on customer service and team work.   1 Answer

Actuarial Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at The Standard in December 2014.

Interview

Applied online in September, received call back for 30-minute phone interview two weeks before Thanksgiving. Phone interview focused on behavioral questions and only briefly touched technical matters. Call for final interview at Portland office came Tuesday before Thanksgiving, scheduled for early December. Final interview was 4 hours, encompassing 11 people, before having two people for lunch. Interview questions matched those posted here pretty closely, focusing on teamwork and experience dealing with difficult situations. Surprisingly, almost no technical questions, and only a few on technological/computational experience; no actuarial questions.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you were given a role you did not want, and how you handled the position.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at The Standard in September 2014.

Interview

Applied for the position that I found on an online job board. It took about 5 weeks to get a call back and the interview was set for a week later. Went in to their Hillsboro office building. It was nice and the atmosphere was quiet, only a few people walking around. I was interviewed by the man who would be my supervisor, another supervisor, and their boss. The interview lasted for about 35 minutes and there were not too many surprises. After the interview, I followed up with 'Thank you' emails to the two supervisors who gave me their cards. Got a call a week later with an offer.

Interview Questions

• Nothing out of the ordinary. The one question I hadn't prepared for was "Give a ratio of how you like to work. Independent, with your head down. Or being interrupted and talking to other people."   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation.