The Standard Interview Questions | Glassdoor

The Standard Interview Questions

Updated May 8, 2017

Executive Position Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at The Standard in April 2017.

Interview

Received e-mail from recruiter to set up interview. Interview was very awkward with the recruiter leaving large gaps after I spoke. Recruiter was not friendly or easy to deal with.

Interview Questions

• I see you don't have experience in insurance   1 Answer

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at The Standard (Hillsboro, OR).

Interview

Standard is SLOW! I worked as a temp employee on multiple occasions at different locations (downtown and Tanasbourne mainly), for multiple assignments, particularly CTA department. They ask a LOT of behavior based questions and a lot of them are redundant, yet they continue to probe. You feel like you are repeating your answers and I don't think they seem to care about culture fit or actual experience, but want to see what type of scenarios you can share with them of situations where you encountered certain challenges, conflicts, etc.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time when you had to work with a colleague that you didn't agree with and how you were able to resolve differences and get a project completed while working with that person.   Answer Question

Actuarial Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The Standard.

Interview

The 1st phone interview with a HR: just explaining about what position they have and asking what experiences and skills I have
    The 2nd phone interview with a hiring manger: mostly behavioral questions and the questions about the previous work experiences.

Interview Questions

• Have you explained technical things to non-technical people?   Answer Question

Underwriting Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at The Standard in January 2016.

Interview

After being selected for an interview, I took a proveit! excel test to show my competency. Next there was a phone screening interview with HR. Some background questions and then behavioral questions. I got email few weeks later saying I was not selected.

Security Operations Center (SOC) Analyst III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Portland, OR

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at The Standard (West Portland, OR) in December 2016.

Interview

External recruiter facilitated the process. Since the job was remote-capable, it was just a call with the actual direct interviewer.

It didn't take much digging to find out that this was (like so many others right now) just a newly authorized security organization with a big budget. They want to find the best and maybe they will through location arbitrage (remote workers), but the competition is fierce and the statistics all too real. The interviewer failed my micro-management question and liked name dropping, which I don't like. I was definitely initially really interested, but after thinking critically about the interview, it all left the job role sour for me as well.

Total number of technical questions asked during the Interview: 1 (one) and it's listed below

Interview Questions

• Please describe what you would see in a network traffic capture of an end-to-end connection when opening a web browser and connecting to The Google.   1 Answer

Manager Disability Benefits Interview

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at The Standard (Portland, OR) in June 2015.

Interview

They will have one or two people meet with you privately. They will ask questions that are looking for specific examples of a time you demonstrated a behavior. They use the SHARE model. What was the Situation? What was the Hindrance? What was your Action? What was the Result? What was your Educational experience.... what did you learn? Don't answer with generalities. They are looking for specifics.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time when you had to recover quickly from a public failure. Tell us about a time you had multiple priorities and how you organized your work.   Answer Question

Infrastructure Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at The Standard (New York, NY) in December 2016.

Interview

The hiring process starts with a screener that works with you to schedule a phone interview with the hiring manager. Once that happens then you have your pone interview.

Absence Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Altavista, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at The Standard (Altavista, VA) in September 2016.

Interview

I applied for the position and received email requesting a phone interview. The phone interview were general questions. I was asked about my expected salary. I provided my salary expectations and was assured that they could meet it. About a week later I received another email requesting an in person interview. I went to that interview and 3 days later received a phone call with an offer.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time when you had to deal with a difficult customer.   1 Answer

I declined the offer as I felt they really low balled me on the salary after telling me they could meet it. I attempted to negotiate but was immediately told that they were not negotiating. It was clear to me at that point that they were not looking to hire and compensate talent, only workers. The only good thing about the outcome was my current employer (supervisor and director) telling my how valuable I am to the company and how overjoyed they were that I declined the offer.

Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at The Standard (Portland, OR) in July 2015.

Interview

The interview process started by a very simple online application. Then was followed by phone interview with recruiter, followed by VP call to set up a 1:1 with VP. Final stage was panel interview with members of team and other departments. The phone interview with the recruiter was the most difficult. The VP portion was not difficult, the panel interview was simple.

Interview Questions

• They asked the typical behavioral based questions. Give me an example of a time you had to discipline one of your employees...   Answer Question

Product Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at The Standard (Portland, OR) in September 2016.

Interview

Took several months. Had a phone interview, common interview questions, followed by sending work samples. Then brought in for in person interview. I was there for 5 hours and met with 7 different people.

Interview Questions

• Why do I want to work for the Standard?   1 Answer