The Standard Interview Questions | Glassdoor

The Standard Interview Questions

Updated Mar 7, 2017

IT Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at The Standard (Portland, OR) in March 2016.

Interview

Initial phone screening with HR, then a short phone interview with the hiring director. The next stage was a series of three separate interview with peers, business stakeholders and members of the team.

Customer Implementation Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at The Standard (Portland, OR) in January 2016.

Interview

Was approached after previously being recruited for a position that did not work out. After a review with the recruiter, I had a telephone interview with the hiring manager and his right hand team member about technical skills. Was brought in the following week for a personality interview. Was then given a writing assignment and brought in a second time for a meeting with the 2nd VP and two of the team members.

Interview Questions

• For the personality section I was asked a lot of 'give me a time when.' The worst of which was about active listening.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I provided a number to the recruiter for what it would take fornme to leave my current role, this was the number I was offered. I did wind up negotiating for a signing bonus at 6.67% of my salary. I will have to pay back all of my bonus if I leave in 6 months or half my bonus if I leave within a year.

Data Analyst III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at The Standard (Portland, OR) in January 2016.

Interview

A couple minutes into the phone interview (with in-house recruiter), it was obvious I wasn't the right candidate for the position. However, the recruiter knew of a similar position in a different department that would be a good fit. The recruiter said she would send my info to her colleague, and that turned into another interview a few days later. Overall a pretty positive experience, in spite of not being the right job for me.

Nurse Case Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at The Standard (Portland, OR) in January 2016.

Interview

A lot of red tape and waste of time. The whole process took 6 weeks with a phone interview, an online test, and a 3 hour panel interview with a surprise written test at the end. And when I say "written", I mean actually writing pen on paper. They operate mostly on paper so you will have to turn back the clock and get used to hand-writing full pages of notes. They wanted me to review a 15 page chart and write a full page recommendation in a format that they didn't tell me they wanted it in until I was done. Oh, and it was timed. The only good part of the experience was not getting the job.

Interview Questions

• They had two separate panels interviewing me and they asked me the same questions. They wanted me to answer in a format that they did not give to me until I was done answering. It was similar to what nurses know as SBAR (Situation, Background, Assessment, Recommendation) but they had their own version of it that they didn't give to me until the end. It seemed very scripted and the interviewers seemed shackled to these stock questions that were redundant. When I asked the nurses what one piece of advice they would give to The Standard for their jobs to improve, they basically threw their manager under the bus and said she needed to listen to them.   1 Answer

Underwriting Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at The Standard in January 2016.

Interview

After being selected for an interview, I took a proveit! excel test to show my competency. Next there was a phone screening interview with HR. Some background questions and then behavioral questions. I got email few weeks later saying I was not selected.

Level II Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at The Standard (Portland, OR).

Interview

The asked "tell me about a time..." style questions. I know they come from a long list supplied from HR. The questions seemed to be skewed negative with no real way to shine.

Senior IT Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at The Standard (Portland, OR).

Interview

I am not exactly sure what their hiring process is but I do know I had 9 interviews over a 2.5 month period with no communication throughout the process. Five interviews were with single individuals all Director level up to 2nd VP level. Two interviews were conducted with two individuals per interview and were conducted back to back over a two hour period. One consisted of the hiring manager and another Director. The other consisted of two IT Project Managers who would be peers.

Interview Questions

• Scenario and behavioral interview type questions   1 Answer

Supervisor Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The Standard.

Interview

Applied online and had a phone screen interview with human resources approximately one week later. After applied was contacted by email with a link to set up a time for my phone screen. After the phone screen a little less then a week later I was contacted for a face to face interview.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to performance manage someone?   Answer Question

Business Systems Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at The Standard in September 2015.

Interview

I submitted my resume through an online application and received an email from the recruiter wanting to speak. She called a few days later and before we even got to any questions about myself or even her describing what the job entailed she asked me how much I made. I told her that I'd like to focus on what my salary goals were instead of what I was previously making, and more importantly hear about what the position entailed before I could give my salary expectations. So she got a huffy attitude and said she wanted to save time by finding out what I made so she could choose the right position and not waste time by describing all the jobs she had available. I was a bit taken aback and felt like her just even calling me was wasting her time. So she launched into a very mediocre attempt at describing the positions then wrapped up about a minute later and asked again what I currently earned. Again, I said that what was more important was to focus on my salary expectations not what I was currently earning as it wasn't reflective of this new position. It sounded like she was literally about to throw a fit and then asked me again "Is it in the 40s, 50s, 60s?!", I reiterated, that I was happy to tell her my range I was aiming for, so I did and she immediately came back with "I don't think this will be a good fit." I confirmed her suspicion, and agreed that I was not interested in working with someone with an attitude 5 minutes after starting a professional conversation with them.

Interview Questions

• How much money do you make now?   1 Answer
    • Is your current salary in the 40s, 50s, 60s?   1 Answer

Actuarial Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at The Standard.

Interview

It took a month to hear back and have an interview scheduled, even though the posting said they were reviewing resumes the same week I applied. The interview was all behavioral questions with an HR person and it wasn't too bad. I heard back 2 weeks later that after all that they had cancelled the position.