The Standard Interview Questions | Glassdoor

The Standard Interview Questions

Updated Jun 19, 2017

Account Specialist Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at The Standard.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter via LinkedIn and set up a phone interview. He was very polite and concise and asked a basic behavioral question, current salary, etc. I had another phone interview with the hiring manager, who told me she would be contacting me after her vacation to set up a time to fly down and meet me in person (this is an on-site position, not in Portland). She promptly set up an interview in my city, which was with 2 other very kind directors. After the interview, I had one final interview with the client I would be working with. The following a Tuesday, I was contacted with my offer.
    The process was a bit long, but everyone I spoke to was very helpful and knowledgeable. They are very welcoming to new associates and very up front with benefits, expectations, etc.
    Most questions are behavioral or situation based. Answer honestly and make sure the answer relate to the title in some way.
    All-in-all, a very positive experience.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you have used humor to diffuse or ease an uncomfortable or difficult situation.   Answer Question
    • Have you ever worked remotely?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Easy. Since the benefits and compensation met or exceeded my expectations in most areas, I didn't need to negotiate anything.

Actuarial Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at The Standard.

Interview

I applied online for an internship position in Portland, Oregon. I received a thirty minute phone interview with HR about a month later. A week later I had a second phone interview that lasted about forty-five minutes with three actuaries at the company.

IT Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at The Standard (Portland, OR) in March 2016.

Interview

Initial phone screening with HR, then a short phone interview with the hiring director. The next stage was a series of three separate interview with peers, business stakeholders and members of the team.

Customer Implementation Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at The Standard (Portland, OR) in January 2016.

Interview

Was approached after previously being recruited for a position that did not work out. After a review with the recruiter, I had a telephone interview with the hiring manager and his right hand team member about technical skills. Was brought in the following week for a personality interview. Was then given a writing assignment and brought in a second time for a meeting with the 2nd VP and two of the team members.

Interview Questions

• For the personality section I was asked a lot of 'give me a time when.' The worst of which was about active listening.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I provided a number to the recruiter for what it would take fornme to leave my current role, this was the number I was offered. I did wind up negotiating for a signing bonus at 6.67% of my salary. I will have to pay back all of my bonus if I leave in 6 months or half my bonus if I leave within a year.

Data Analyst III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at The Standard (Portland, OR) in January 2016.

Interview

A couple minutes into the phone interview (with in-house recruiter), it was obvious I wasn't the right candidate for the position. However, the recruiter knew of a similar position in a different department that would be a good fit. The recruiter said she would send my info to her colleague, and that turned into another interview a few days later. Overall a pretty positive experience, in spite of not being the right job for me.

Nurse Case Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at The Standard (Portland, OR) in January 2016.

Interview

A lot of red tape and waste of time. The whole process took 6 weeks with a phone interview, an online test, and a 3 hour panel interview with a surprise written test at the end. And when I say "written", I mean actually writing pen on paper. They operate mostly on paper so you will have to turn back the clock and get used to hand-writing full pages of notes. They wanted me to review a 15 page chart and write a full page recommendation in a format that they didn't tell me they wanted it in until I was done. Oh, and it was timed. The only good part of the experience was not getting the job.

Interview Questions

• They had two separate panels interviewing me and they asked me the same questions. They wanted me to answer in a format that they did not give to me until I was done answering. It was similar to what nurses know as SBAR (Situation, Background, Assessment, Recommendation) but they had their own version of it that they didn't give to me until the end. It seemed very scripted and the interviewers seemed shackled to these stock questions that were redundant. When I asked the nurses what one piece of advice they would give to The Standard for their jobs to improve, they basically threw their manager under the bus and said she needed to listen to them.   1 Answer

Underwriting Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at The Standard in January 2016.

Interview

After being selected for an interview, I took a proveit! excel test to show my competency. Next there was a phone screening interview with HR. Some background questions and then behavioral questions. I got email few weeks later saying I was not selected.

Level II Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at The Standard (Portland, OR).

Interview

The asked "tell me about a time..." style questions. I know they come from a long list supplied from HR. The questions seemed to be skewed negative with no real way to shine.

Senior IT Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at The Standard (Portland, OR).

Interview

I am not exactly sure what their hiring process is but I do know I had 9 interviews over a 2.5 month period with no communication throughout the process. Five interviews were with single individuals all Director level up to 2nd VP level. Two interviews were conducted with two individuals per interview and were conducted back to back over a two hour period. One consisted of the hiring manager and another Director. The other consisted of two IT Project Managers who would be peers.

Interview Questions

• Scenario and behavioral interview type questions   1 Answer

Supervisor Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The Standard.

Interview

Applied online and had a phone screen interview with human resources approximately one week later. After applied was contacted by email with a link to set up a time for my phone screen. After the phone screen a little less then a week later I was contacted for a face to face interview.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to performance manage someone?   Answer Question