The United Illuminating Company Interview Questions | Glassdoor

The United Illuminating Company Interview Questions

2.5

Interviews for Top Jobs at The United Illuminating Company

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at The United Illuminating Company.

Interview

The interview screen was very straightforward, no technical questions. Didn't need a face to face interview, was offered the position over the phone and offer letter was sent within a matter of weeks. Very simple and easy process.

Distribution Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orange, CT

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at The United Illuminating Company (Orange, CT) in March 2016.

Interview

The process began with an interview with the HR director. Almost the questions were behavioral. The second interview took place a few weeks later with a group of higher level managers. This time almost all the questions were resume related. I felt it was made purposely difficult. Some of the interviewers were also rude. One of them got up before it was over and said "goodbye" and left without shaking hands.

Business Support Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orange, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at The United Illuminating Company (Orange, CT) in February 2016.

Interview

I submitted application online. Heard nothing for 4 weeks. Received a call from HR scheduling a phone interview with the hiring manager. Two days after that I was given the application to fill out and was scheduled for an in-person interview with the hiring manager 1 week later. I had a great discussion with the hiring manager and talked for about an hour. Things seemed to be progressing well however I didn't hear anything for 4 weeks (I had to send multiple email's asking for a status). I was then told I made it to the final round and was scheduled 3 weeks later for a second in-person interview with the hiring managers direct reports (Note: 7 weeks in-between 2nd & 3rd interviews). Then I did not hear anything for another 13 weeks even after sending email's asking for status. Then out of the blue I received a canned email from a different HR person stating that after reviewing my resume, there were other more qualified candidates and I would not be scheduled for an interview.

Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Haven, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at The United Illuminating Company (New Haven, CT).

Interview

applied online, one quick phone interview led to an onsite interview. interviewed with 2 recruiters who did not seem very experienced or interested in understanding someone’s background. it did not seem they were interested in bringing on someone with credentials. phone interview/onsite interview offered no challenging questions or scenarios, tried to keep the interview upbeat but after only 2 questions they wanted the interview to end…did not get the feeling they wanted someone there that was a go getter…

Interview Questions

• nothing of significance, very low level/inexperienced interviewers. lasted 10 minutes (they were 15-25 minutes late)   1 Answer

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Haven, CT

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at The United Illuminating Company (New Haven, CT).

Interview

I got the interview through a recruiter. They asked questions about my resume and skills. They didn't ask the usual bland HR questions, like what are your strengths/weaknesses, etc.

Program Administrator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Orange, CT

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at The United Illuminating Company (Orange, CT) in July 2015.

Interview

Working with an outside recruiter was a great way to get in front of the hiring manager and get an interview. The interview was easy as I spoke about my experience and how the company culture is all about a team.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at The United Illuminating Company.

Interview

Not bad at all. The interview material was a little bland and mostly general questions you could expect from HR. I had a phone interview so it seemed like the questions were intended to rattle me a little and stress me out, but if you keep your cool you will do fine.

Interview Questions

• "What are your hot button topics?" "If I were to speak with your previous employer, what sort of things would they say about you?"   Answer Question

Distribution Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at The United Illuminating Company.

Interview

referred by current employees and was contacted for an in-person interview. interview went on for 30+ min and seem purposely difficult as to elicit a certain response. just remain calm pay attention to the questions and answer accordingly and truthfully.

Anonymous Employee in Orange, CT

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at The United Illuminating Company (Orange, CT) in March 2012.

Interview

Interviewed in-person. It was not technical in nature. Interviewed by telephone as well, it was miserable. Slow conversation with a lot of those behavioral interview questions. All my coworkers seemed to have the same experience with the same guy when they did a phone interview. Don't get discouraged when yours goes really poorly, I think that guy is used to it. Probably doing it on purpose to see how you work under pressure?

Interview Questions

• It was all a bunch of "name a time you faced a challenge" or "name a time your ethics were questioned" stuff.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I didn't try to negotiate. It took them a long time to "settle out what the salary will be"

CIO Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Shelton, CT

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at The United Illuminating Company (Shelton, CT) in February 2010.

Interview

Recommended by an internal Director in IT. Met with HR first. Followed by meeting the number 2 guy a week later. Agency (Russell Reynolds) indicated the CEO wanted someone with Utility background even though the number 2 guy indicated I would be a perfect fit. Oh well.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to change from Consumer Products to Utility?   Answer Question