The World Bank Short-term Consultant (STC) Interview Questions | Glassdoor

The World Bank Short-term Consultant (STC) Interview Questions

Updated May 10, 2017

2.8

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Telephone, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at The World Bank (Telephone, TX) in May 2017.

Interview

The professor introduced the job first and asked me about the period of availability. Then, the professor directly discussed technical issues, such as sample selection, econometric models, implication. he was very kind and the questions were difficult but insightful.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for The World Bank

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mount Washing, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at The World Bank (Mount Washing, OH) in October 2016.

Interview

I sent in an application and was contacted about two weeks after to come for an interview. The interview went well in my opinion. I was interviewing for a Communications role so I was asked to write a test online too. That part was a bit difficult for me.

Interview Questions

• How did you handle a difficult situation in any of your previous jobs?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at The World Bank (Washington, DC) in October 2015.

Interview

Database related questions. Two economists asked me questions related to the firm-level databases that they need to use. They also have some hypothetical questions such as how to do deal with missing values and endogeneity.

Interview Questions

• How to deal with the missing values in a data set?   1 Answer

Short-term Consultant (STC) Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at The World Bank.

Interview

It is recommended tha you know someone already working for the company, and then network a lot with different type of people because you will get the job through an appointment process

Interview Questions

• What are my career interest, and what are my plans for the future. I have to talk a lot about my work experience and how it will help me at the Bank.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at The World Bank (Washington, DC).

Interview

Casual, asked about experience in the industry, asked to know more about international experience, technical/computer skills, ability to write concisely and in short amounts of time, understanding of the organizations mission and its structure, etc.

We met in the lobby and then went to have a coffee while we discussed my resume and experience. The interview process took two hours, but could very well have only taken 15-30 minutes. It's important to be laid back, casual, and be able to establish a rapport with the interviewer.

Interview Questions

• Explain what you found most difficult in your previous position.

What is your greatest weakness?
      Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at The World Bank (Washington, DC) in June 2015.

Interview

Over the phone. It was fairly informal -- asked general questions about ability and desire to do work on a particular project. STC contracts are minimal commitments for the World Bank so it's not necessarily worth their while to put people through a rigorous and time consuming process. And most STC contracts come through employee referrals, which serve as a first phase of vetting. As well, STCs are often needed to complete projects on short notice, which limits the World Bank's ability and desire to put people through a long process.

Interview Questions

• Asked general questions about whether I had worked in the field of the project before, and whether I was interested in doing the work.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at The World Bank (Washington, DC) in May 2015.

Interview

Quick and Efficient Interview Process. Once you attract the hiring managers attention the whole hiring process takes place surprisingly fast (or at least this was my experience). The interview was centered around a quantitative analysis that I conducted as part of the application process (it was not necessary but was encouraged).

Interview Questions

• Knowledge and previous work experience related to the quantitative methods necessary for the job (as described in the TOR)   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at The World Bank (Washington, DC) in April 2015.

Interview

Phone interview. Most of them are technical questions. It is not very difficult. No behavior questions. Questions are based on my resume and the job description.The interview has been rescheduled for several times because the busy schedule of the hiring manager.

Interview Questions

• What is competitive analysis and how to do it?
      What are your major responsibilities in your last job?
      Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at The World Bank (Washington, DC) in February 2015.

Interview

I saw an online posting and sent in my resume with a cover letter. About a week and a half later, somebody from the specific department contacted me to ask me to perform a timed skills assessment. A week after that, I was asked to come in for an interview with a panel. It was about an hour. I heard nothing for over two weeks after that, and then they called to offer me a position. It did feel slow at times, but everybody I interacted with at the interview was very warm and friendly.

Interview Questions

• Almost all the questions were focused on skills. "When was a time you did X" or "How familiar are you with Y and what projects have you worked on that required Y".   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at The World Bank (Washington, DC) in February 2015.

Interview

My interview went very smoothly. I actually was asking managers for recommendations and it turned out that they were looking for my skills. I talked about my skills and past experiences. They also asked me to give them some time to go over their budgets.