The World Bank Interview Questions | Glassdoor

The World Bank Interview Questions

Updated May 17, 2017

Short-Term Temporary Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at The World Bank (Washington, DC) in November 2015.

Interview

One phone interview for an internship position. Fairly doable. Interview was a conference call with several analysts from the Bank asking questions about previous experiences, knowledge of economics and senior college thesis. They also ask about what you know of the project and what sub-team you would work for should you receive an offer. Received an offer within a month.

Interview Questions

• Describe an instance where you had to show your economic knowledge or skills.   1 Answer

Young Professional Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at The World Bank (Washington, DC).

Interview

To enter the YP program, you have to go through one of the most competitive job applications in the world. More than 10,000 apply, only around 30 get selected. The process is well conducted and organized. Somehow the process is able (most of the time, not always) to select great candidates with incredible intangibles that will make them successful later in life.

Interview Questions

• The are many tough questions on leadership, how to reduce poverty, and your capacity to work in a diverse environmment.   1 Answer

IT Officer - Business Analysis Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The World Bank (Washington, DC) in October 2015.

Interview

I had two rounds of interviews. One was a Panel Interview, and the other was with an hiring manager. They were all very friendly and professional. I do not have a decision yet. They assured that they would contact me with their decision no matter what the outcome is. So, I'm still waiting..

Interview Questions

• INTERVIEW WITH FIRST GROUP

May we know you?
      Why do you want to join World Bank?
      If your current Manager is to talk about you, what would she say about your strength? What would she say about your weakness?
      Have you worked on a global project before? How many were you in your team?
      Do you have experience in an Agile and Waterfall Framework?
      Can we see some of the artifacts you have produced on any of your projects?
      Assuming you are a supervisor, how do you ensure that the exit of one of your subordinates does not affect the deliverables within your team?

INTERVIEW WITH HIRING MANAGER

I know you are a Business Analyst. Can you describe your normal work day?
      Can you describe your Business Analysis role with specific focus on Vendor Management?
      Do you have experience in an Agile and Waterfall Framework?
      What is the difference between the user stories Story in an Agile Environment and the User Stories in Water Fall? Can you give some specific examples?
      What is the difference between capabilities and functionalities?

I faced lots of questions but these are the ones I remembered. Most of the unlisted questions are personal/behavioral questions so, sis not give my brain unnecessary stress by trying to remember them because anyone who made it to the short list should be able to answer those questions.
      Answer Question

Short-term Consultant (STC) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at The World Bank (Washington, DC) in October 2015.

Interview

Database related questions. Two economists asked me questions related to the firm-level databases that they need to use. They also have some hypothetical questions such as how to do deal with missing values and endogeneity.

Interview Questions

• How to deal with the missing values in a data set?   1 Answer

Senior Social Development Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at The World Bank (Washington, DC) in October 2015.

Interview

Panel of four asking basic questions. One of the panelists before the interview told me who his favorite candidates were and after the interview told me who he had liked the most. Very inappropriate disclosure of procedures. Led me to believe that it was all set from the beginning.

IT Officer Interview

Application

Interview

The process was quite lengthy as I had to wait for almost a year before I got shortlisted for an interview. The interview it's self was good, as the organizers kept consistent communication with me.

The panel were very professional and engaging. Even though it was a video conference interview I found it to be very interactive and engaging.

The second interview was with the line manager. This one was even more easier as it was just to formally introduce himself to me.

Interview Questions

• Explain your understanding of what is Enterprise Architecture?   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at The World Bank.

Interview

Slow. Black box with no feedback along the way. Leaves the interviewee feeling completely undervalued, as the institution's view is that candidate's will wait and conform to their timeline if they really want to work there. Unclear who the decision makers are. Apparently has gotten worse with hiring freezes and eternal reorg.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at The World Bank.

Interview

It is recommended tha you know someone already working for the company, and then network a lot with different type of people because you will get the job through an appointment process

Interview Questions

• What are my career interest, and what are my plans for the future. I have to talk a lot about my work experience and how it will help me at the Bank.   Answer Question

Senior Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 12+ months. I interviewed at The World Bank (Washington, DC) in September 2015.

Interview

Applying at The World Bank was the worst job-seeking experience I have ever had. The process was extremely slow and poorly managed. I was kept on a string for 12 months (on-going), from WB contacting me, to now where The World Bank has most likely hired someone else, but still has me “short-listed” for the position.

Interview Questions

• Strangely specific questions about what theoretical frameworks I used on projects 7 or 8 years ago.   1 Answer

Investigator Interview

Interview

Interviewed by colleagues from the same unit and one HR person. You receive a rather informal email from another colleague telling you that were shortlisted and giving you the date of the interview.

Interview Questions

• Basic interview questions: tell us about you, Why do you thin you are the best candidate for this position?   Answer Question