The World Bank Interview Questions | Glassdoor

The World Bank Interview Questions

Updated Jul 19, 2017

Senior Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 12+ months. I interviewed at The World Bank (Washington, DC) in September 2015.

Interview

Applying at The World Bank was the worst job-seeking experience I have ever had. The process was extremely slow and poorly managed. I was kept on a string for 12 months (on-going), from WB contacting me, to now where The World Bank has most likely hired someone else, but still has me “short-listed” for the position.

Interview Questions

• Strangely specific questions about what theoretical frameworks I used on projects 7 or 8 years ago.   1 Answer

Investigator Interview

Interview

Interviewed by colleagues from the same unit and one HR person. You receive a rather informal email from another colleague telling you that were shortlisted and giving you the date of the interview.

Interview Questions

• Basic interview questions: tell us about you, Why do you thin you are the best candidate for this position?   Answer Question

Economist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The World Bank (Washington, DC) in August 2015.

Interview

short listing committee, panel interview including HR representative, and final interview with hiring manager

The process takes time since the moment you submit your application online. Then they proceed to short list the candidates. THey are call for an interview. Sometime due to travelling of panel members it takes time to schedule the interview

Interview Questions

• Analytical questions
      behavioral questions
      Why you are interested in the position?
      provide concrete examples to show how you analyze data   Answer Question

Health Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at The World Bank (Washington, DC) in August 2015.

Interview

Application is always through the online portal. Received an email inviting me for an interview within 2 months of applying. Interview was arranged to be via Webex with three member of the panel in Washington DC and a member was in the Country Office (CO) where the position is located. Eventually had the interphone over the phone as I was in a conflict affected zone with poor internet network. Every member of the panel asked questions. The panelist in the CO asked non-technical question.

Interview Questions

• There was question on UHC and another on working with a difficult member of a team.   Answer Question

Senior Operations Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at The World Bank (Washington, DC) in July 2015.

Interview

I applied for a position online in the World Bank intranet in March 2015. I was invited to an interview on July 2015. It was held at the World Bank office in Washington DC with VC connection to some staff outside the US. The interview panel told me that they would make a decision in 1-2 weeks but I have not heard from them, Hence, I assume that they only informed the selected candidate about their decision.

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at The World Bank (Washington, DC).

Interview

Casual, asked about experience in the industry, asked to know more about international experience, technical/computer skills, ability to write concisely and in short amounts of time, understanding of the organizations mission and its structure, etc.

We met in the lobby and then went to have a coffee while we discussed my resume and experience. The interview process took two hours, but could very well have only taken 15-30 minutes. It's important to be laid back, casual, and be able to establish a rapport with the interviewer.

Interview Questions

• Explain what you found most difficult in your previous position.

What is your greatest weakness?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at The World Bank (Washington, DC) in June 2015.

Interview

Over the phone. It was fairly informal -- asked general questions about ability and desire to do work on a particular project. STC contracts are minimal commitments for the World Bank so it's not necessarily worth their while to put people through a rigorous and time consuming process. And most STC contracts come through employee referrals, which serve as a first phase of vetting. As well, STCs are often needed to complete projects on short notice, which limits the World Bank's ability and desire to put people through a long process.

Interview Questions

• Asked general questions about whether I had worked in the field of the project before, and whether I was interested in doing the work.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at The World Bank (Washington, DC) in May 2015.

Interview

Quick and Efficient Interview Process. Once you attract the hiring managers attention the whole hiring process takes place surprisingly fast (or at least this was my experience). The interview was centered around a quantitative analysis that I conducted as part of the application process (it was not necessary but was encouraged).

Interview Questions

• Knowledge and previous work experience related to the quantitative methods necessary for the job (as described in the TOR)   Answer Question

Research Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at The World Bank.

Interview

Submitted application materials to current analysts who were organizing the hiring process. The process was completely done via Bank employee networks. After the process was over, I asked about finding out about open positions later (e.g. where could I find them online), and the current analyst told me that positions for there group are never posted online, so you just have to be in the right circles to be alerted to the openings.

When going in for my interview, the analysts cleared me for the wrong day with the front desk, so I was approx. 20 minutes late for the interview. When I subsequently went in for the interview, the hiring economists were visibly annoyed with me even after the analyst explained the miscommunication. The interview was rushed, and the economists continued to do work on their laptops during the interview. Also, the analysts kept offering me cookies during the interview, which was a lot more uncomfortable than it sounds.

All in all, probably the strangest interview I've ever had.

Interview Questions

• What is an economic measure that you look at in your current job?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at The World Bank (Washington, DC) in April 2015.

Interview

Phone interview. Most of them are technical questions. It is not very difficult. No behavior questions. Questions are based on my resume and the job description.The interview has been rescheduled for several times because the busy schedule of the hiring manager.

Interview Questions

• What is competitive analysis and how to do it?
      What are your major responsibilities in your last job?   Answer Question