Google Interview Question: The most difficult question w... | Glassdoor

Interview Question

Legal Counsel Interview

The most difficult question was during the initial phone

call with the recruiter. She asked me to describe the business process of creating and distributing media. This threw me because it's not a simple question or answer. I know a lot about media distribution and knew that trying to answer with any kind of detail would take up much more than the amount of time we scheduled for the call. Upon reflection, I assume perhaps the question was designed to test my communication skills and ability to boil a lot of information into small useful bits (and to keep my audience in mind when constructing my answer). But the question still threw me because the scope and complexity of a "good" answer didn't seem appropriate for the scheduled interview time or audience. And I didn't know how much or little the recruiter knew about media distribution, so it was hard to tailor my answer on the fly.
Answer

Interview Answer

1 Answer

I gave an overview of my experience with media distribution. I kept it relatively high level because I didn't want to drone on and on, but did mention some specific issues to show that I have depth of knowledge. The recruiter didn't give my answer much of a response and moved on to her next question, so I don't know if it was a satisfying answer. I couldn't get a sense of whether I was too detailed in my answer or not detailed enough. All in all, it struck me as an odd question to start out with so early in the interview process because it didn't seem like the recruiter had the subject matter expertise to evaluate the answer. It made me wonder if she was just reading questions from a script and how my answers were being recorded and evaluated to determine if I move on to the next level of interviews.

Interview Candidate on Aug 13, 2012

Add Answers or Comments

To comment on this, Sign In or Sign Up.