Theranos Scientist Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Theranos Scientist Interview Questions

2.6

Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Theranos.

Interview

Phone screening interview - technical phone interview - on-site interview.

After I got recieve first e-mail from the company phone interview process ran through faster than I expected. They always contacted me after 2 business day with the interview result. But overall interview process was very long compared to others.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Theranos

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Theranos (Palo Alto, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

I applied online. Initial round was a phone screen from HR. Next was a phone screen by a Scientist. The third round involved a technical presentation via webex/skype to the hiring team. The fourth and final round involved onsite interviews with senior scientific managers including the hiring manager.
    The entire process lasted over 2 months from HR screen to job offer.
    The Scientific team and the hiring manager were friendly and easy to talk to.
    Interview questions ranged from general HR questions to technical questions after presentation of my work to questions about working style in a team etc.

I received a job offer from Theranos however that offer was withdrawn later. That was not surprising since the company announced that it was laying off over 40% of its workforce immediately after.
    Not to mention that they are also facing investigations from multiple federal agencies and have been severely criticized in the press.

Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Theranos in July 2016.

Interview

If you hear back from this company, pls. check the news and gather as much information about the company as possible. You will have a lot of questions but remember that the interviewers get very defensive when asked about the negative spotlight, so be a little diplomatic. That being said, gear up for a long interview process that will take 1-1.5 months. The interview will consist of the following stages: (1) Phone screen by HR (2) Second phone screen by a different HR (3) Third phone interview with a technical member whose area of expertise is similar to yours (4) Skype interview with technical panel (5) On-site interview with executive members (technical mostly).

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at Theranos?   1 Answer
    • What are your strengths and weaknesses?   1 Answer
    • What do you know about Theranos?   1 Answer
    • How do you feel about moving to CA? Salary expectations?   1 Answer
    • Technical: Tell me about your projects and work experience. Other questions build on your response.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Theranos (Palo Alto, CA) in October 2015.

Interview

The process took about 4 weeks consisting of 4 interviews total. was very hesitant with going through the interview process because of the wall street journal scandal involving theranos. The first couple of interviews were standard. They did asked if I were comfortable working 45-50 hours per week like everybody else. Made it to the third skype interview. I gave a 30 minute talk from my previous work and the had four individual interviews. 3/4 individual interviews went well. the one that didn't go well was because his old boss didn't get along with my old boss. asked each one about the scandal and one of them got really defensive. I didn't get the job but maybe thats a good thing. Everybody there is super secretive and they frown upon asking questions. I don't see this company going anywhere.

Interview Questions

• Are you willing to work 50 hours /week?   1 Answer

Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Theranos.

Interview

30 min talk followed by question sessions with individual group members. Asked mostly technical questions with some soft skills and 'fit' probing. Generally interested in understanding the presented research; never felt like I was being purposely stumped.

Interview Questions

• Are you willing to work long hours?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Theranos (Palo Alto, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

After three phone/skype interviews was invited onsite. I'm from out of state so they flew me in for an afternoon of interviewing, which overall was rather informal. Gave a talk, met individually with team members, and then with COO and CEO. Overall everyone was very nice and the questions weren't too difficult- more relaxed conversations with team members about science and overall interest in the company.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in the company? Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 7+ months. I interviewed at Theranos (Palo Alto, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

It's standard interview. Many technical questions were asked based on what I listed in resume. Nothing was tricky like others said.
    Of course there were standard question like:
    - why do you want to work for the company?
    - how do solve conflicts at work?
    - what's your typical work hour?

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation.

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Theranos (Palo Alto, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

The entire process took almost 3 months. Initial phone screening and phone interview in the beginning of March. Had onsite interview late March, and final round executives interview and hiring background check beginning of April. Took a very long time for the executives members to approve the offer. The final offer was received end of May and early June.

Initial phone screening: Generic Q&A. Why did you apply? Can you fit in the start-up culture? Can you work long hours (60 hrs/week)?

Phone interview: Talked to a member of the science team. Asked questions about my research background, laboratory skills, and experience. Can you work long hours (60 hrs/week)? I also asked some questions regarding work culture and what the scientist didn't like about working in the company.

Onsite interview: Whole process took about 4 hrs. Gave a 30 min presentation with Q&A. After the presentation, I met with members of the team in pairs or individually. I also met the team manager, and finally the director of the division. Meeting the team members and manager was not so difficult. Interviewing with the director was more like a qualifying exam. The questions of "Can you work long hours (60 hrs/week)?" keeps coming back.

Final executives interview: Waited for about 30 min and then met with CEO. Asked about big picture type of questions, and questions about education background to get a sense of my life history and personality. She made sure I knew that people worked really hard in this company (a.k.a. the "Can you work long hours (60 hrs/week)?").

Interview Questions

• Onsite interview:
      1. The golden question: Can you work long hours (60 hrs/week)?
      2. Have you trouble shoot an assay? Tell me how?
      3. What was the most challenging task you have had?
      4. How do you handle stress?
      5. What's your current job day-to-day duty?
      6. Some detail questions about my research.

Executives interview:
      1. Why did you choose the college you went to?
      2. What's your expectation for compensation?
      3. We work hard here to achieve our goals, can you do the same?
      Answer Question

Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Theranos.

Interview

I went to a recruiting event and talked with someone who had been at the company since the very beginning. The next day I was contacted and asked to submit my CV. Shortly after that I had a phone interview with the hiring manager, and at the end of the call he invited me for an onsite interview. During the interview I first gave a 20 minute presentation and then met with members of the team, the team lead, and then the VP of research. At the end of the interview, the recruiter told me the feedback had been very positive and that they wanted me to come back to meet the president and the CEO. I didn't hear anything for 2 weeks, and then the recruiter called to say that they had changed their minds. No feedback, no idea what happened. I wrote a thank you email to the hiring manager and never heard anything back.

Interview Questions

• One question that everyone asked (and really emphasized) was "Why are you leaving academics for industry?"   1 Answer

Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Theranos in February 2014.

Interview

Long drawn out interview process with many generic questions and not much revealed about the company. Interviewers seemed inexperienced and had a very naive point of view. Employees didn't strike as particularly intelligent or knowledgeable. Many people could not answer why they liked working here. Leadership either lacks any real vision or doesn't want to talk about it. Pretty much a waste of time interviewing here.