Rackspace Interview Question: There are two directly-connec... | Glassdoor

Interview Question

Network Security Administrator I Interview Austin, TX

There are two directly-connected switches. Assume that they

communicate fine on the physical layer. Why can't two hosts with assigned addresses 192.168.100.5/30 and 192.168.100.50/30 communicate with each other? Also assume that network addresses can be used. How would you remedy this by swapping out only ONE of the devices on the network?
Answer

Interview Answer

3 Answers

The hosts are on two different subnets. Replace one of the switches with a properly-configured router.

Interview Candidate on May 28, 2012

the host which assign 192.168.100.5/30 and host 192.168.100.50/30 these subnet is not belong to same subnet

Nazir on Jun 18, 2012

Hypothetically: First, I would clarify if they wanted to switch out one of the switches or simply change the I{ address of one of the hosts to make it part of the same network. If it were the hosts, then the switches don't matter. Second, I would ask if it is important for the switches to have an IP address in addition to the host. If this was the case, then it would fail because you would not have enough addresses available in either subnet to accommodate 4 devices. If it were simply device to device, you wouldn't have to remove anything, just assign a new IP address to one of the hosts as well as update it's default gateway and any relevant DNS entry in the IP configuration screen.

Jonathan - Rackspace OCA Grad on Jan 15, 2016

Add Answers or Comments

To comment on this, Sign In or Sign Up.