Thermo Fisher Scientific Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 20, 2017

2.9

18 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Thermo Fisher Scientific.

Interview

HR was decent, interview process was timely. However, once I got to the onsite everything changed. Horrible interviewing practices. One interviewer was literally on his phone the entire time while I was talking. Much disrespect. Also, there were no whiteboard coding at all - like really? They literally screen software engineering candidates by asking them behavioral questions. Don't even bother applying here, it's going to be a colossal waste of your time and effort. No wonder these kind of companies can never attract talent.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Thermo Fisher Scientific

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at Thermo Fisher Scientific (New York, NY).

Interview

Took about a month before the first contact from Thermo. After that the process went fairly fast.

First call was from someone in HR that went over my resume and experiences mostly and talk about the company and position that I applied for. After this the rep sent my resume over to the hiring manager and after about another week I got a call to interview on-site.

On-site interview was 3 rounds with the hiring manager, and 2 1-1's with other developers on the team. Behavioral questions are mixed in with technical questions and were about 1 hour each.

Offer was made during the same week.

Interview Questions

• Describe the algorithm you would use to sort a stream of data if you were looking for the shortest English words in the stream.   Answer Question
    • Give the design for a program that plays Tic-Tac-Toe.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Salary was negotiable to a small degree. HR usually responded within a few days during negotiations.

Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Thermo Fisher Scientific (Madison, WI) in June 2016.

Interview

After I submitted the job application, I received the interview request in few days. It's a phone interview. The hr and tech team are kind and helpful. They try to reduce your nervous. Basic questions about data structures and algorithms and java. Also, another team will talk about your job experience.

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

It was a HR call at first and they will ask you to come in for an in person interview after you are through with the HR round. They prefer mostly the people who live close by but the overall experiece was good.

Interview Questions

• Just some basic questions about myself. Nothing difficult   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Des Moines, IA

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at Thermo Fisher Scientific (Des Moines, IA).

Interview

Phone interview with HR followed by another phone conference with two tech guys. The interviews were mostly non-technical, and concentrated on the role responsibilities and how you would fit in.
    Several (4+) weeks after the second interview, I was informed that the position that I applied for was closed/reassigned as a different one, and I was being considered for this new position.
    3+ weeks later, and no news on either position.
    A "Sorry, you are no longer being considered for the position" email would be nice.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Thermo Fisher Scientific in August 2009.

Interview

I was initially contacted by hr for a brief discussion about what the company was looking for and if I was interested. The hr individual was very kind and pleasant to speak with. This first phone conversation took roughly 20 minutes. Once it was determined that I have the general skills required for the job and that I was interested, a phone interview with the hiring manger was scheduled.

The conversation with the hiring manager was kept to about 30 minutes. Again, the individual I spoke with was very courteous and was able to answer all my questions. The hiring manager let me know that they would like me to come in for an in person interview.

When scheduling the in person interview I interacted with the same hr individual as my first interview. It was nice because I was familiar with the person and felt that if I had questions I could ask them. I was provided with a list of names of people I would be interview with along with a schedule of the days events. This was nice because then I knew the names of the people before they sat down, and I knew how long the interview was going to take.

I arrived at the office and everyone I talked to was knowledgeable about their work. They were all very easy to talk with as well. The interview did not get extremely technical, but did hit on a few key technologies that the group uses. Overall, I met with 6 different people from DBA's and Developers, to the manager and director. The interview itself took roughly 3.5 hours.

Overall I was very impressed with the people I had interaction with. The environment seemed challenging and the work interesting.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I did not negotiate with the company. The first offer I received was excellent. I happily accepted the offer.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bengaluru (India)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Thermo Fisher Scientific (Bengaluru (India)) in June 2017.

Interview

They contacted me through a recruiter in June,2017. An appointment was set for a F2F discussion on the next day. The interview was an hour long and was taken by two of their employees.

Interview Questions

• I was given a matrix [x x x x p] [x x x x x] [x x x r x]. I had to write a program to traverse from "r" to "p". The matrix i mentioned is just an example. The rows and columns were n, m un the actual question.   1 Answer
    • They asked the famous "3 water jug" question . (This was a logical question)   1 Answer
    • What is encapsulation in JAVA ?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bengaluru (India)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Thermo Fisher Scientific (Bengaluru (India)) in April 2017.

Interview

The job role which i was getting interviewed was for Software QA Engineer II role.
    First round was a telephonic role which i had with the Product manager for one of the team.
    Second Round was a F2F interview with one of the senior QA Engineer,
    Third Round was a F2F interview with the manager for the team i was getting assigned.
    Fourth Round was a F2F interview with the product owner

Interview Questions

• Question were regarding the role i was going to be assigned regarding selenium Webdriver ,frameworks,program writing , Soap UI Groovy scripting ,my management skills,my current roles   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Roorkee (India)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Thermo Fisher Scientific (Roorkee (India)) in December 2016.

Interview

The hiring process involved a test followed by a technical interview and a HR interview. They mainly asked what you have written on your CV. In HR there was casual talk about your background and your interest in the firm.

Interview Questions

• Write a simple C-programming question.
      Everything on your CV.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Kozhikode, Kerala (India)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Thermo Fisher Scientific (Kozhikode, Kerala (India)) in September 2016.

Interview

1 round Test & 1 round Interview.

The test was based on OS concepts and programming. One hour online test.
    The interviewer asked for area of interest, and went very deep into the area. Great interview experience. They look for your expertise in your chosen domain.

1 HR round, mere formality.

Interview Questions

• Bitwise manipulation of Data- Error Correcting Codes in Channels. (This was asked because I was from Electronics & Communication Background).   Answer Question