Henkels & McCoy Interview Question: They asked a question that wa... | Glassdoor

Interview Question

Project Controller Interview Pomona, CA

They asked a question that was somewhat confusing at the

time but made a lot of sense later. They asked how I would deal with monitoring the work done by payroll administrators even as I was not their supervisor but was still responsible for the accuracy and quality of their work. Ironically, this question rang in my ears for a long time--it was definitely a dilemma.
Answer

Interview Answer

2 Answers

Lacking overall context, this question appears to be taking a long view on the project ... if you're managing budget, tracking tasks and attentive to remaining scope of effort, it would be useful to ensure (minimally) that:
- hours worked/paid aligned with estimates
- hours worked by groups aligned with delivered work -- is it done, did that element exceed budget
- reporting on overall project relative to plan ... in short, does it mirror (quite literally) where you say we should be.

In this space, labor is one of the few variable costs ... failing to completely supervise payroll could quickly cause a project to go over budget.

bit.ly/4drwc on Sep 4, 2013

That is true and I was happy to do that. The problem did not lie in tracking and managing budgets. The problem dealt with administrators having trouble receiving constructive criticism or being asked to fix their entry errors by someone that was not their supervisor, especially on a weekly basis since books closed weekly. Nonetheless, that was a big part of the job I was paid to do, the accuracy and integrity of the reports was my responsibility.

Anonymous on Sep 4, 2013

Add Answers or Comments

To comment on this, Sign In or Sign Up.