Thomson Reuters Interview Questions in Toronto, ON | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 3, 2017

2.6

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Thomson Reuters (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in March 2017.

Interview

Call with a recruiter, typical questions, not very technical but liked to throw around acronyms to sound good on the phone....could have saved more time just skipping to the skills test. Unlike most take home tests which Im sure no one ever even reviews, there was an online prescreen test that was hosted on the Hackerank platform which I have used in the past to prepare for coding competitions. The best part was that I can code in any language right in the browser.

When I came onsite I was a bit disappointed to find engineers still asking me to code on a whiteboard, this was the only area that was not up to par with the rest of the process. (I could faintly make out another candidate's solution to the same problem on the whiteboard) Personally this was a deal breaker for me as I don't think its fair to ask someone to perform under pressure using an environment that does not relate at all to the job. (Would you hand an abacus to an accountant during an interview?)

Interview Questions

• Challenges were easy progressing to more difficult, but it gave me just enough time to go back and optimize my code before I submitted   Answer Question

Mar 22, 2017 – Analyst, Recruitment Brand and Channels

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide feedback about your experience. If you are still interested in Thomson Reuters, and we hope you are, we encourage you to sign up to receive job ... More

Finance Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Thomson Reuters (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in February 2017.

Interview

Had phone interview with HR which went well. HR person from NY indicated that he would try and set me up for a 1O1 interview with the hiring manager who was based in the UK within the week. 1 month later, no word from HR. Very unprofessional.

Interview Questions

Thomson Reuters Response

Apr 10, 2017 – Analyst, Recruitment Brand and Channels

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback. We apologize that your experience did not live up to our standards and expectations and we would like to follow up directly with the team ... More

Talent Acquisition Partner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Thomson Reuters (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in February 2017.

Interview

A peer in the same role interviewed me for this position and insulted almost the entire profession of recruitment, as well as pointing out that she had no knowledge of the sector, or technology.

Don't join this team if you want to enjoy your colleagues.

The peer made generalizations about recruiters, didnt ask about sourcing, pipelining, tools used, interview techniques, intake process, relationship building, or any skilled element of the recruitment process. She spent more time complaining about other candidates that trying to get to know me.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in 10 years?   1 Answer

Mar 2, 2017 – Recruiting Communications and Marketing Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback. We apologize that your experience did not live up to our standards and expectations and we would like to follow up directly with ... More

Go-to Market Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Thomson Reuters (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in June 2016.

Interview

The interview is in two stages, one is over the phone where you do a very strict interview (straight questions and answers only - behavioural based). There is no additional communication allowed.

The second is an all day group interview with approximately 10 candidates. This process is a full day 8:30 am - 4:00 pm downtown Toronto. If you are not remotely interested in this position - DO NOT waste your time with this day. The tasks required of you take a lot of preparation before hand and most of the day is spent completing abnormal tasks that do not feel very relevant to the position. There is a ton of group work where they are observing how you work in a team and if you take on a leadership role.

Be prepared to make a presentation on a new innovation, on a "show & tell" item as well as a final pitch at the end of the day to sum up why you should be the one who gets the job. They then will go on to ask you questions in front of everyone regarding your resume experience and about the presentation. The day also includes (limited) time for a 1-on-1 interview which gives you an opportunity to impress ONE employee out of the possible 50 making the actual decision.

All in all the process was overwhelming and negative - not because I didn't receive an offer but mostly because I gave it my all and sat waiting for a response for a month. The least they can do after dedicating hours of work to the process is get back to you or give you feedback regarding your interview in a reasonable period of time.

Interview Questions

• Desert island question - rank what you need from most to least on your own and then in your group. You can probably find the outline for this activity online. It is a popular one.   Answer Question

Aug 22, 2016 – Analyst, Recruitment Brand and Channels

We apologize that your experience did not live up to our standards and expectations and we would like to learn more about your experience. Please email us at recruitingops@tr.com with relevant ... More

Research Scientist AI Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Thomson Reuters (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in June 2016.

Interview

I applied online for two positions, Research engineer and research scientist. After one day I was rejected for the engineering role and I got contacted for the other. I had a short phone screening with HR and then she scheduled an online 1-hour interview with the team. The platform was Webex, and the interviewing team composed of one senior manager, one mid-level research scientist and one junior research scientist. The junior researcher was the nicest, the senior manager was okay. The mid-level research scientist was a bit arrogant though. She would cut you in a sentence and rush to disagree with you. To be fair she was not the worst that I have seen. Not the best either.
    I was asked questions about Machine learning basics and NLP. I do not have a background in NLP so I was not selected.
    I received a very nice and polite email from the HR lady who had contacted me in the first place after I followed up.

Interview Questions

• Details about SVM
      XOR problem
      How does the Gibbs sampler work for word prediction
      some NLP questions that I did not understand
      1 Answer

Nov 16, 2016 – Recruiting Communications and Marketing Specialist

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Thomson Reuters (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in November 2015.

Interview

Poor Experience at Thomson Reuters- Finance and Risk Division. I had three one-on-one interviews. After each interview, Interviewer promised that HR will get back to you after certain days. However, HR didn't on each occasion. I had to follow up several times after each interview to have updates on next interview dates. On top of that, their feedback was non-existent even after 6+ weeks of having final interview. Overall I end up developing a bad feeling about the company so I sent an email requesting Withdrawal from Consideration and withdrawn my application. I wonder how do HR treat existing employees.

Interview Questions

• The interview questions were not deep, primarily asked for a run down of my experience and asked why I wanted to work for them specifically including some behavioral questions.   Answer Question

Mar 10, 2016 – Analyst, Recruitment Brand and Channels

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback. We apologize that your experience did not live up to our standards and expectations and would like to follow up directly with the recruiter ... More

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Thomson Reuters (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in May 2015.

Interview

Was emailed by a recruiter by the name of Greg Arbitman from ReCareer for Carswell that found my resume online. I went in for a face to face interview at Thomson Reuters headquarters. Greg told me he would take notes on his laptop and asked me to tell him a bit about myself. I did not see him writing much down, but there were a lot of blank stares. Told me the interview went great and that he would reach out to me in a couple days and will try his best to push my application along. Told me "great meeting" a few times as I was leaving. I wrote him a thank you note after the meeting. Two days later, nothing. I followed up later in the week, never received a response. Followed up again a couple weeks later simply telling him I was following up and to let me know of the decision even if it was not in my favour, and he still did not have the decency to respond back to me, when in fact he was the one that initially reached out to me. Extremely unprofessional/rude and reflects very poorly on Carswell, Thomson Reuters. I'd advise the management to assess how their recruiters are treating the potential candidates.

Senior Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Thomson Reuters (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in August 2014.

Interview

First heard about role through a recruiter, then it was moved to an internal HR person, who lacked organization and knowledge. The initial face to face meeting was scheduled with the hiring manager, however the internal HR person provided me with the WRONG address and the WRONG interview time. It made me look like I was not on the ball. Clearly I did not move forward in the process.

Field Sales Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Thomson Reuters (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in October 2012.

Interview

Screened by HR and recruiter in Sales. Next met with the Manager and Director. They gave a very good impression of the company and the job and they had all been there for several years. Relaxed atmosphere but professional, nice offices and the people seemed to be happy. The interviews were like discovery conversations and I had a chance to ask my own questions.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you used a consultative sales approach.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Not much negotiation because they have a formal salary and commission structure - take it or leave it.

Legal Writer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Thomson Reuters (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in May 2012.

Interview

Pleasant, respectful and courteous. Not many hard questions. They seem more interested in your interpersonal skills and ability to work with others. Two polite ladies conducted the interview and treated me kindly which I appreciated because I was quite nervous. My voice shook a little and they just smiled with understanding and kindness. I remember it as one of the best interviews I have had.

Interview Questions

• What areas of law are you familiar with?   1 Answer