ThoughtWorks Interview Questions in Chicago, IL | Glassdoor

3.5

60 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

People Manager (HR) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at ThoughtWorks (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Phone interview with internal recruiter - 1 hour good thorough questions. Onsite interview with the HR Team + legal with the exception of one member were horrendous! Rude, distracted and bored interviewers (sorry I took up YOUR time not to mention mine). Very unwelcoming group and no professionalism.

Interview Questions

• Handling consultants and work-life-balance options when on the road 100%.   Answer Question

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at ThoughtWorks (Chicago, IL) in May 2017.

Interview

Applied through a Recruiter. Process was very slow. Took 2 months total, often with a week or two with no follow up, feedback. The Agency I worked through were nice and professional, but I got the impression the delays were on the TW's end. Even though I'm local, they had me do 2 phone interviews before being invited in. When I was invited in, the interview started with the interviewer criticizing another employer and the way they treat their employees.

I heard a lot of disturbing things about this company as I researched. For the job I was applying for, there were 4 people in the role in the previous 2 years. That speaks volumes. Also, every indication was the company shares some fairly radical views on politics and I saw a lot of evidence of this, including here in Glassdoor (inappropriate questions, even one asking directly "what political party do you support?".

The company seems elitist and doesn't have the role I applied for structured properly at all. They seem more concerned about every single person agreeing with the approach of the new hire and gaining consensus on every thing they'll do which is just not realistic.

Interview Questions

• How do you get everyone involved to agree with your approach?   Answer Question

HR Business Partner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at ThoughtWorks (Chicago, IL) in February 2017.

Interview

I phone screened with 4 different staff members, and did one web interview the day before my on-site interview. Times ranged from 30 minutes to 1 hour. I really enjoyed learning about the company and I can appreciate the screening process but 4 different calls and a video interview were excessive. Not to mention the interview was set mid day so I had to take a whole unpaid day off of work.

The on-site interview itself lasted 5 hours meeting with several people. At one point I had nothing to do in a conference room for 30 minutes before my next interview.

Interview Questions

• Two role play scenarios with actual employees while a HRBP monitors your conversation, approach, and fit.   Answer Question

Senior Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at ThoughtWorks (Chicago, IL) in January 2017.

Interview

2 Phone interviews, followed by preparing a assessment presentation and then I was asked to present the same.

Overall the process was long- almost 5 weeks before they concluded the decision.

IT Technical Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at ThoughtWorks (Chicago, IL) in November 2016.

Interview

I had two phone interviews back in November of 2016. The first person I interviewed with was very professional and seasoned. The second person was rude and kept cutting me off when she asked me a question. She was a member of the team who was based in Houston and had a thick accent. I did not get the job because I would work better in a structured environment. My background is in consulting and most consultants work in environments were there is no structure. The bottom line is that she did not like the fact that I was asking her questions that she was not prepared to answer and thought provoking.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at ThoughtWorks (Chicago, IL) in September 2016.

Interview

Attend an info session.
    Fill out 2 page questionnaire and complete coding challenge in Java (you have 1 week to complete this).
    1 Hour Phone Interview - basic HR interview (behavior interview questions, what are you passionate about, who are the oppressed, etc)

2-Day Onsite Interview:
    1st Day - 2 assessments (wonderlic & logic test) and a team activity
    2nd Day - 3 back-to-back 1 hour interviews: technical, non-technical, and pair-programming to edit your code submission.

Interview Questions

• Describe Object Oriented Programming (inheritance, polymorphism). Also, discussed SQL. What is a primary key?   Answer Question
    • Can you describe the difference between a tree, linked-list, and an array?   Answer Question
    • Design a tic-tac-toe game where the computer never loses (can only tie or win).   Answer Question
    • What are 5 things that help a team succeed and 5 things that make it fail. All must be different, no overlap.   Answer Question
    • What is something in the news that you care a lot about.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at ThoughtWorks (Chicago, IL) in August 2016.

Interview

After applying online to the Associate Consultant program as a developer, I was contacted to attend an online info-session on the ThoughtWorks Associate Consultant program. Everyone who attended the session was given the option to continue in the hiring process by completing a survey.

If you completed the survey, you were emailed a questionnaire and two problems. You had to complete their lengthy questionnaire and one of the two problems. After emailing my solution to my recruiter, I was invited to have a 1:1 phone interview. The phone interview went well and I was invited to fly out to Chicago to interview with their team in person.

The in-person interviews lasted two days! The first day included a tour of the office, meeting people, taking a few logic tests, and doing a group activity with a few other people also interviewing for the position. The second day consisted of three interviews, each with two different people. These interviews were in a random order of cultural interview, technical interview, and paired programming interview.

The whole process took about 3 weeks.

Interview Questions

• What is Object Oriented Programming? Explain some of the features with examples of when to use them.   Answer Question

QA Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at ThoughtWorks (Chicago, IL) in April 2016.

Interview

I never made it for the in-person interview because the position I applied for became unavailable due to restructuring. The initial phone interview is pretty standard as well as the coding portion which you have three days to complete. Then I got to interview with one of their existing staff and the next step was for me to come in.

Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at ThoughtWorks (Chicago, IL) in February 2016.

Interview

Had a group video orientation in which HR described the position and company. Also explained the application process.

After orientation, received programming problems in which you choose one and have seven days to solve using OOP and TDD. You have to choose one of the programming languages they list.

Didn't make it further into the interview process.

Interview Questions

• Nothing asked other than the requirements needed for the problem submission.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at ThoughtWorks (Chicago, IL) in January 2016.

Interview

My interview process started in October 2015 when I submitted my resume. After about 2 weeks I was contacted via email to complete the code challenge and answer a questionnaire. Since I was abroad for 2 weeks I had to ask for an extension which was approved. The code challenge had to be written in either Java or C#. Showing your OO design skills is important here and writing some tests. I suggest you spend some time seriously thinking and answering the questionnaire as it will be used again for the in person interview. I submitted the two items in mid November.

I didn't hear back from them and reached out after two weeks. They got back to me in the beginning of December for a phone interview and scheduled one a week before Christmas. The phone interview was a basic cultural interview about who I am, my previous experiences and what I think about social justice (basically a shorter version of the non technical in person interview). At the end of the phone interview they told me that they would like to fly me to Chicago for a 2 day in-person interview in mid January. They booked my flight and hotel.

The interview is on Thursday and Friday. They fly you in on Wednesday. They send an email a couple days before with details of what the two days will be like. On Thursday, there was a presentation, Q&A and a office walkthrough of Thoughtworks. Then we had to take a Wonderlic Test which was 12 minutes long with 50 questions. The ThoughtWorks logic test was next. There are 11 problems and you have an hour to complete it. I was only able to complete 10 of them. The last part of the interview for that day was a group assignment. We were given specs and told to build a house with the lowest cost for puggles. There was a time limit of 25 minutes. They watched us talk it out and draw the house. After 25 minutes we had to present our solution. That was it for the first day.

On Friday, we were each given a personalized schedule and assigned rooms where the interviews would be held. We then had an hour to prepare a STEM presentation to be given during the non pair programming technical interview. I had the pair programming interview first for 1.5 hours. I worked with two other Thoughtworkers on my laptop to refactor my code from the code challenge. Here they asked me a lot of questions about why I designed my program the way I did and how I would improve on it. I really enjoyed this part of the interview. I also asked a lot of questions about OO and programming questions in general. Next up was the 2nd technical interview for 1 hour. I did my 5 minute presentation and they asked me questions. Then they went through my resume and asked me about OO and general programming questions. It was then time for lunch and we sat in the open area chatting and eating.

After lunch, I had the non technical interview. This is where they learn about who you are and what your views of the world are. They had general questions about how I would handle certain work situations and thought provoking questions like does democracy really work. Most of it is based on what you wrote on the questionnaire.

Overall I enjoyed the interview. It really does take a lot out of you and by the end of the second day I was pretty burnt out. Every person I met was friendly and made us feel as comfortable as possible.

Try not to be too nervous and relax. Take time to go through your code and questionnaire before the interview. Try to drink something warm before/during the interview. It definitely helps calm your nerves.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Associate Consultants are non negotiable