ThoughtWorks Graduate Software Developer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

ThoughtWorks Graduate Software Developer Interview Questions

Interviews at ThoughtWorks

3.3

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at ThoughtWorks (Chicago, IL) in November 2013.

Interview

It was very long. A long questionnaire with some pretty fun questions, a technical coding challenge that you could work on for a few days before submitting, a day long onsite interview with 3 parts: pairing session, technical assessment and a fit interview. I also had to take a logic test, and some other evaluation. It was a lot of work, but I felt like out of all the interviews I did this one was assessing my ability to do the job I was hired to do the most. I felt like it works to see how capable I am of working with a pair, explaining technical concepts and even my presentation style.

Interview Questions

• Describe Inheritance and when you might use it?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was not able to negotiate salary when I was hired, but you have a review every 6 months for the first 2 years in which you can argue your case for a raise.

Other Interview Reviews for ThoughtWorks

Graduate Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at ThoughtWorks.

Interview

There were a few stages I went through - the first being a skype call with HR to talk about my academic life, interests etc. After passing that stage, I was sent a problem and was asked to code the solution. Upon doing that and passing that stage, another set of two skype calls followed - a technical one with two software developers in which they ask about your technical expertise and ask you questions on how you would deal with certain scenarios. The second one was with two other employees (not necessarily developers) to talk about the company's culture, their views, my views etc. Upon passing that, I had an in person interview at their office in Barcelona, this comprised of a logic test, a presentation (prepared beforehand) and a pair programming exercise looking over the code you submitted.

Sadly I didn't get an offer, they felt that I needed to show more confidence when coding (as seen from the pair programming interview). However the feedback i received was great, very details and the HR co-ordinator even arranged a skype call to go over what she had said in the feedback email. I thought this was nice considering most times you get a generic 'no' email in other companies. I would 100% recommend!

Interview Questions

• They asked me how i would deal with a certain scenario (technical)   1 Answer

Graduate Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at ThoughtWorks (London, England (UK)) in August 2017.

Interview

General phone interview about who i was, what do i like about thoughtworks. Very professional and nice recruiter! Unfortunately the coding test is misleading! I was asked to program the rover and was expected to produce simple code and talk about my design choice and how to execute the code. Waoted two weeks for my feedback and got a really nasty review by one of the developers! He said i should learn how to design things properly and told me my solution did work but was too simple and used a basic design. He even complained about me submitting the writting part as a word document despite the fact .doc was an accepted format.

Real shame about the mean developers, I had a very good first impression due to the brilliant recruiters!

P.s My best friend also had a similar experience with his code review, she had some mean comments that were totally unnecessary!

Please beware they expect you to know designs not covered in your studies!

Interview Questions

• Why softwire + Tell us about what you are passionate about   Answer Question

Graduate Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Barcelona (Spain)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at ThoughtWorks (Barcelona (Spain)) in April 2017.

Interview

Worst interview experience ever. They moved 6 times my first interview, with no reason. In particular, 2 times with no advise, and one time I waited all day long for the recruiter availability, receiving several emails of lies and no apologies. At the end, I was not able to continue with the second interview cause "I have no knowledge about Agile methodologies". It was not written in the job offer, and when she asked during the interview if I had knowledge about it, I answered no and she said that "it wasn't a problem".

Interview Questions

• Questions about social justice, previous studies and experiences and why I want to move to Barcelona.   Answer Question

Graduate Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at ThoughtWorks.

Interview

Initially received an email asking for certain details and stating that I would be sent a coding question. I was required to solve the question applying OO design principles.
    Then in the next email the recruiter said I would be recontacted in a month as some other colleague was in-charge of the hiring opportunities.

Middle of next month and no contact was made. Neither was a reply provided to a follow up email.
    Quite bizarre and unprofessional.

Graduate Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Melbourne (Australia)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at ThoughtWorks (Melbourne (Australia)) in December 2017.

Interview

Applied online. 10 minute phone call with recruiter. The coding assignment went for a few days, there was a choice of 3 and all of them gave me a chance to show off my algorithmic knowledge and object oriented stuff. Onsite interview was a pair programming task extending the the coding assignment. It was fairly quick and painless, and then we had a chat about what it was like to work there. Then there was a logic test and wonderlic test. The logic test was interesting, the wonderlic test not so much. Then there was a culture interview. The creative task was very interesting, haha. Then a 15 minute presentation on a topic of my choice to most of the office.

Graduate Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at ThoughtWorks (London, England (UK)).

Interview

Interviewed a few years ago so process has changed now - not sure to what extent though.

1. Application on TW site with my CV.
    2. Phone interview with graduate recruiter to discuss why TW, my experience, how I felt about travel. Was told I would be sent a take home task to do and if that was fine, I would be invited to the onsite interview day.
    3. Take home tech task - all grads are given the Mars Rover tech task.
    4. Onsite interviews:
    - Logic paper test (I believe this has been scrapped now)
    - Wonderlic test (I believe this has also been scrapped now)
    - 30 min Presentation about any topic (15m presenting and 15m Q&A)
    - Pair programming interview with two TW developers where you discuss your tech task submission and continue it with extension tasks.
    - Social justice interview: you are told to read up on something recent in the news and discuss it. Also general discussion about other social justice topics.

Graduate Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Melbourne (Australia)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at ThoughtWorks (Melbourne (Australia)) in March 2019.

Interview

i applied at January, at late March got a call from recruiter, it was a 20min chat basic interview questions why you wanna apply and stuff, then he sent me coding test made up of 3 questions and i had to choose 1.
    around 3 weeks after submitting the coding test i got an email to attend in person interview.
    it was made of an hour pair programming, you go through your code with 2 senior consultants and add couple of extension to the code, pretty easy.
    Then they gave me a set of questions mix of math & logic and it was supposed to take 90 min but i finish in 30min, it was pretty easy.

Interview Questions

• why you applied? how many other places you have applied?   Answer Question

Graduate Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at ThoughtWorks (London, England (UK)) in April 2018.

Interview

Pretty straightforward, there were a few stages to go through:
    - Initial phone call
    - Coding assignment (choice of languages to complete it in)
    - Day of interviews in the office

I felt supported throughout the process, even got a call before my office interview to wish me luck and check if I had any questions before the interviews. I really felt like an effort was made to get to know me and to let me understand ThoughtWorks a bit more as a company. Overall, it was a great interview experience and I really enjoyed it.

Will say as a down side though, I did have to follow up after submitting the assignment to hear what the result was. Other than that, my experience was overwhelmingly positive.

Interview Questions

• Most of the questions were focused on getting to know me as a person and my motivation for applying/wanting to join.   Answer Question

ThoughtWorks Response

Apr 24, 2019 – Recruitment Marketing Executive

Thank you for spending your time to write this review. I will feed this back to our recruitment team.

Graduate Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at ThoughtWorks (Manchester, England (UK)).

Interview

I applied online and received a call within two weeks from applying. After the call I had to do a coding test. Once completed I had to take a Predictive Index test online. After that they told me that they want to bring me into the office.

The interview at the office was based on an aptitude and logical test, a coding test doing pair programming, a social impact interview and a 5 minutes presentation about something I was passionate about.

The day went through smoothly mostly because the amazing people that interviewed me. All of them where very kind and helpful.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult questions for me were the ones related with my views on social and economic justice issues. They really care about bringing people in that question the status quo and have their own opinions on different topics even if these topics can be controversial.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I did not negotiate as I was applying for a graduate position.