ThoughtWorks Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 18, 2018

3.5

Senior Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at ThoughtWorks (New York, NY) in March 2018.

Interview

Throughout the entire process everyone was upfront about the role and interview process.

1. I applied online and a recruiter reached out to me. We spoke about my experience and what I was looking for in my next role.

2. Interview with a principal consultant about best practices, software development, testing and a little architecture.

3. In person paired programming with a Senior developer and a principal developer. It starts with a business case and you have to implement a solution using TDD in any language you're comfortable with.

4. A second round of in person interviews and some written logic tests. The 1st round od interviews were technical white boarding explaining the architecture of some applications that I've written, coupled with questions about decisions that I've made about the application. The second round were non-technical and based on how I've contributed indicually, part of a team and how I've led. The written tests were logic and personality. The day ended with a management interview and fit.

Overall it's long but if you've prepared for any technical interviews before, it will be pretty straightforward.

Software Development Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at ThoughtWorks (Chicago, IL) in February 2018.

Interview

I knew a senior consultant at ThoughtWorks offering to submit a referral on my behalf. After sending him my resume, I received an email from the recruiter to complete a coding assessment to be completed in Java as well as a 16 part questionnaire.

The questionnaire consisted of questions such as "How did you hear about TW?", etc. I would recommend reviewing your response to those questions and possibly running them by someone else for grammar and syntax. I decided to do the Sales Tax problem, which gives you a basket of items and prices expecting you to parse a data structure of your choice for prices and item names to output sales tax, total, etc.

After submitting these two assignments, I had a 1 hour phone interview with my recruiter. The interview was behavioral in focus. We spoke about past experiences, projects, how I felt about pair programming, salary expectations (they do not negotiate) as well as to describe 2 oppressed in the United States as well as why I would call them oppressed. Toward the end of the call, the recruiter passed me feedback on my coding assessment. My feedback was pretty positive and is listed below:

The good
    ReadMe is a plus (documentation is always appreciated even if not looked at)
    Solution completed and runs (obvious why this is good. I also allowed the the user to test different things through the terminal line)
    Good job structuring solution to OO solutions (created two classes Items & Basket to work together for output)
    Good use of public and private variables (Displayed a good grasp on encapsulation)

Areas of Improvement
    Incorporate JUnit tests
    Long Main Class with long try catches (I had to read files to get the basket information. The try catch was what to do in the instance the user input the wrong file name)

I could tell based on my feedback that I would move forward.

They got back to me at the end of the week to schedule a 2 day in-person interview in Chicago (even though I was interviewing for the SF office). They also asked me to complete a Predictive Index test before I came to this interview.

The first day of the interview in Chicago, we just did a Wonderlic test as well as the logic-flow test. These two tests do not determine your candidacy, rather they are just another data-point to consider your hiring. The Wonderlic is meh. If you do not know the answer right away go on to the next question and revisit the ones you left. You probably will not finish all of them but it's a good thing to get as many right as possible. I found the logic-flow test online and practiced for it a little bit. It's really cool because it tests how you follow directions and includes many programming concepts such as loops and manipulating variables. I would recommend taking your time on both of these and checking your answers if possible.

The next day I had three interviews.

The first was non-technical. They just asked me questions about how I view the world, why software development, where I see myself in 5 years, why ThoughtWorks, etc. They dis a phenomenal job giving me insight into expectations as well the company culture.

Next, was technical and I had two women-identifying developers. They asked me OOD questions. I told them I was unfamiliar with a few of the technical terms but we went on asides where they explained the concepts to me. Next, they asked me questions about ReactJs and then about my role on different projects and why I chose those roles. They asked me about databases since I had that on my resume. Neither of my interviewers had experience with document based databases outside of conferences, so I had the chance to teach them some things. This was a fun interview and I think by being placed in the position to supply so many examples for the concepts and the nature of the interview allowed my personality to shine. Toward the end I asked the two developers two questions: Could they speak about their growth as developers at TW? What are some of the unique challenges they face as women developers?

The last interview was the other technical interview where I refactored my Sales Tax solution with two developers. This was kind of harder because I was not as comfortable with Java. We started coding as soon as I explained the problem to them, then we reworked my classes from top to bottom. They made me defend my many of design choices and then change them! Toward the end we started to work on JUnit tests, however, we did not have time to implement them.

After this interview, my recruiter followed up with me to discuss how the interviews went as well as my timeline. She told me they would get back to me Monday-Tuesday at the latest. On Wednesday I received an email to schedule a time to speak with the recruiter either that day or the next. I thought I was getting rejected based on the neutral tone of the email and decided to schedule my conversation ASAP in order to rip off the band-aid. I ended up receiving an offer on this call.

Lead Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at ThoughtWorks (New York, NY) in February 2018.

Interview

The whole process was very pleasant. Literally everyone I've met during the process was very nice and friendly. It was a rather smooth experience. I felt the recruiter was very frank and transparent with me.

I first saw ThoughtWorks on Martin Fowler's blog and later when I learned that Selenium was originally developed at ThoughtWorks, I became kind of curious and did a bit of research on the company. What I found was quite interesting and positive and I felt like it could be an inspiring place to work at so I applied online. I wrote a pretty genuine cover letter detailing how I found out about ThoughtWorks and why I think it's a good fit for me. The recruiter actually read it and I think it might have helped my chances.

Next thing they gave me a take-home technical assignment. I took it pretty seriously and spent a weekend working on it. Some time later I got on a phone screening with a ThoughtWorker. It was supposed to be a technical call but it really wasn't that technical (in comparison to the other technical interviews I've had). But it was a great conversation. We kind of just talked about software craftsmanship in general. Then, they had me travel to the New York city office (it's the closest one to me) for the on-site interview. Again, the people I met during the interview were really nice. There were 4 on-site interviews, an hour each. They were not particular technical. No whiteboard coding. There was, however, one actual coding session on a computer.

Interview Questions

• Talk about the architecture of a software that you've built/worked on   Answer Question
    • Talk about what you like/dislike about a particular programming language   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at ThoughtWorks (San Francisco, CA) in November 2017.

Interview

1. Phone call with talent scout.
    2. Phone call with software engineer, mostly non-technical.
    3. Take-home project. 3 options to choose from.
    4. 7-hour (!) on-site interview. This consists of random technical and behavioral questions, a pair-programming session (adding features to your take-home project), a personality test, and a logic test.

Overall I thought the interview process was pretty good, but it's such an enormous waste of time if you don't get the job. I think I spent 15+ hours between all the interviewing and the take-home project. It's frustrating to receive a very vague reason like "not experienced enough". My experience and coding abilities should have been pretty apparent from my work history and the project that they reviewed before they called me in.

Interview Questions

• Choose from three projects:
      - finding an efficient route between several points
      - parsing strings to translate currency from one format to another
      - comparing schedules   1 Answer

People Manager (HR) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at ThoughtWorks (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Phone interview with internal recruiter - 1 hour good thorough questions. Onsite interview with the HR Team + legal with the exception of one member were horrendous! Rude, distracted and bored interviewers (sorry I took up YOUR time not to mention mine). Very unwelcoming group and no professionalism.

Interview Questions

• Handling consultants and work-life-balance options when on the road 100%.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at ThoughtWorks.

Interview

Went to some TW event to get a feel for the culture and people. Liked the vibes and applied online. Scheduled an interview call. The time/date happened, and I didn't get a call. The next week, the recruiter emailed to reschedule, saying that something had come up during our interview. Moved on to the next round, which was a case question. Was supposed to hear back from the recruiter, but at this point --I felt like I couldn't trust him to follow through. This experience was very unprofessional and made me not want to pursue this conversation with TW.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself and what you're looking for next.   Answer Question

Principal Technologist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at ThoughtWorks (New York, NY) in May 2017.

Interview

This was a pretty standard phone interview, starting by questions regarding my background and then move on to skills review to understand if it was a match with the job description. They also probed into how I would impact the company if I got the job.

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at ThoughtWorks (Chicago, IL) in May 2017.

Interview

Applied through a Recruiter. Process was very slow. Took 2 months total, often with a week or two with no follow up, feedback. The Agency I worked through were nice and professional, but I got the impression the delays were on the TW's end. Even though I'm local, they had me do 2 phone interviews before being invited in. When I was invited in, the interview started with the interviewer criticizing another employer and the way they treat their employees.

I heard a lot of disturbing things about this company as I researched. For the job I was applying for, there were 4 people in the role in the previous 2 years. That speaks volumes. Also, every indication was the company shares some fairly radical views on politics and I saw a lot of evidence of this, including here in Glassdoor (inappropriate questions, even one asking directly "what political party do you support?".

The company seems elitist and doesn't have the role I applied for structured properly at all. They seem more concerned about every single person agreeing with the approach of the new hire and gaining consensus on every thing they'll do which is just not realistic.

Interview Questions

• How do you get everyone involved to agree with your approach?   Answer Question

Technical Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at ThoughtWorks (New York, NY) in March 2017.

Interview

Initially there was a 45-60 minute phone interview in which my background as well as the role itself was discussed. That was followed by an on-site presentation. I had been asked to prepare a PowerPoint explaining my sourcing strategies as well as how one would 'sell' the organization externally.

The feedback from the PowerPoint presentation seemed fairly strong and it was implied that the next step was an extensive on-site interview (meeting with various HR and 'Tech' stakeholders). However before that was confirmed, an online personality test and a random video interview were scheduled. That interview was between me and two other recruiters (one based in New York the other in Houston). My impression was the conversation went well and assumed I would progress to the on-site.

This video interview was the last time anyone at ThoughtWorks spoke with me. They went radio silent. It has been extremely unprofessional. Obviously they made the decision to not move forward. However the fact that not a single person has spoken with me since the last interview is absurd. I spent a lot of time speaking with various individuals (as well as preparing the PowerPoint). Not providing any update or feedback is almost comical.

I highly suggest other candidates proceed with extreme caution. Being a recruiter myself, I'm just....well perplexed.

Interview Questions

• -Present Ideal ThoughtWorks Candidates
      -Sell ThoughtWorks to Us
      -Explain Sourcing Techniques   Answer Question

HR Business Partner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at ThoughtWorks (Chicago, IL) in February 2017.

Interview

I phone screened with 4 different staff members, and did one web interview the day before my on-site interview. Times ranged from 30 minutes to 1 hour. I really enjoyed learning about the company and I can appreciate the screening process but 4 different calls and a video interview were excessive. Not to mention the interview was set mid day so I had to take a whole unpaid day off of work.

The on-site interview itself lasted 5 hours meeting with several people. At one point I had nothing to do in a conference room for 30 minutes before my next interview.

Interview Questions

• Two role play scenarios with actual employees while a HRBP monitors your conversation, approach, and fit.   Answer Question