ThoughtWorks Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Sort:
  1. Featured Interview

Senior Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at ThoughtWorks (Chicago, IL) in October 2018.

Interview

I had interviewed for a Senior Business Analyst role however ended up being hired as a Lead Consultant. The interview process consisted of the following:
    - Initial phone interview with a recruiter
    - Second phone interview with a senior member of the product leadership team
    - Completing an online Predictive Index Behavioral Assessment
    - On site interviews at the Chicago office consisting of:
      > Technical BA interview (product thinking, agile understanding, analytical skills, etc.)
      > Non-technical interview (core consulting skills, team dynamics, discussing a social/economic justice topic) -involved answering questions selected from a deck of question cards
      > Lunch break within the office
      > BA workshop (analysis and synthesis, flexibility and adaptability, facilitation) -involved a fictitious client scenario in which you had to identify the current as-is system scenario & paint points and draw this out using business process modeling while also interacting with fictitious client individuals to elicit requirements and feedback on a proposed solution
    - Final phone discussion with a Delivery Principal (this was less of an interview and more of a final opportunity to discuss any questions or concerns you may with the firm, your role, etc.)

Although the interview process was long and challenging everything was done in a timely and organized manner. I've had a lot of bad interview experiences involving incredibly long delays, lack of structure, and individuals who have zero interest in conducting good interviews but the HR team at ThoughtWorks did a fantastic job. I had also been dealing with a very supportive HR individual throughout the interview process. The in person interviews will also be different in many ways compared to most companies but remain confident, determined, and just be yourself throughout the experience.

Interview Questions

• How do you deal with ambiguity?   1 Answer

ThoughtWorks Response

Mar 13, 2019 – ThoughtWorker

Thank you for the detailed review and welcome aboard!

Associate Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at ThoughtWorks in September 2014.

Interview

So I am set to graduate this upcoming May and I had received an email from a recruiter 2 weeks before the Fall semester of classes began about if I was still interested in working at ThoughtWorks seeing as they literally offered me full time as a sophomore but didn't realize I was a sophomore at the time looking for an internship, so I replied of course I am. So I was supplied with a programming assignment which had to be finished in a week, I believe. That assignment was a piece of cake that I finished in 3 days. During the second week of classes I received a call from a recruiter about the assignment that I completed and they were just so impressed with it that they wanted me to have a phone interview with them. So the day of the phone interview it went fine, or at least I thought it did. It was just like any other phone interview that I've had but I feel like I bit the dust when I really didn't have any questions to ask them and I asked a generic question about some of the projects that they work on and the process with being an associate consultant. I guess there is a such thing as doing too much research on the company that the questions you may have will get answered too early. I've never heard back from them since. That was back in September and now it is March, so I'll just assume I didn't get the offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at ThoughtWorks (San Francisco, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

I applied through Linkedin and the talent scout recruiter got back to me within a week. I was given a coding test where I had the choice between three problems. I chose the directed graphs problem and turned it in a week later. I was also given a questionnaire and thought the questions on it were a bit weird. I was then pushed to a video conference interview with the recruiter. She asked me questions about the coding assignment. She also asked a lot of different types of questions regarding social justice, etc.

Interview Questions

• Do you know the three pillars of Thoughtworks   2 Answers

Associate Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at ThoughtWorks.

Interview

I learned a lot during this interview process. They wanted to make sure this was true. They flew me out to chicago and got to stay in a nice hotel. Learned a lot about the companies philosophy. They travel alot. People were all very nice. Interviewers really wanted to get to know who you are and what you're about. Asked loads of questions about different things...make sure to study up. Be yourself, speak clearly, and do everything else that's considered good in an interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at ThoughtWorks (Chicago, IL) in December 2014.

Interview

gave a coding assignment to see how good at oop you were. You can code in c++ or Java, it was up to you. There was an online video interview afterwards. A questionnaire that was oddly political was also involved. Did not really ask much about technical skills, as the recruiter was in HR and not a programmer.

Interview Questions

• design a program that accepts directional input and outputs where those inputs will take you on an nxm grid   2 Answers

Associate Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at ThoughtWorks.

Interview

First couple of interviews were with the recruiter then they had two day in person interview in Chicago. The first day consisted of logic problems and a group activity the second day consisted of three interviews with a lunch break in between.

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at ThoughtWorks (Chicago, IL) in September 2015.

Interview

Similar to almost all the other associate consultant interview reviews. Started with questionnaire, phone interview about 45min to understand my personality, interests, and ethics. Received an offer to be flown out to Chicago for a 2 day interview. This part was pretty similar to the rest of the AC interview reviews here except I had a portfolio presentation on top of the business analyst interview format.

If you prepare and know your ethics it should be a fluid interview process.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had to convince someone to change their mind.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at ThoughtWorks (Chicago, IL) in March 2015.

Interview

First I applied through LinkedIn, then I was sent a questionnaire and programming problem. After finishing those and submitting them I had a phone interview which was mostly about soft skills and my experiences. At the end of that I was asked to come in for an interview in Chicago. This consisted of two days full of interviews on my past experience, technical skills, and a social and economic justice interview.

Associate Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at ThoughtWorks in September 2015.

Interview

I applied online and was sent a coding challenge along with a long questionnaire with some random questions (not really tech related). I had an option of choosing one of the three questions to flesh out in the language of my choice.

Interview Questions

• Create production quality code given coordinate inputs/directions and outputs the final location.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at ThoughtWorks (Chicago, IL) in November 2015.

Interview

I just finished interviewing with ThoughtWorks and everything that people have mentioned on here about the interview process still holds true. I talked with a recruiter at a job fair at my school, about 4 weeks later he sent me a questionnaire and a coding challenge to complete within the next 3 days. The questionnaire was very long, it asked questions along the lines of "If you were president of the world what would be the first 5 things you would change," and "How and when did you become passionate about technology."

The coding challenge was still the same Sales Tax/Rail path/Mars Rover questions that everyone on here mentioned. (quick tip: if you have the time, you should try and write some unit tests for your code sample, ThoughtWorks is very big on TDD so having unit tests would definitely help your application).

About 1 1/2 weeks later the recruiter got back in contact, asking for a phone interview. This phone interview had your typical behavioral questions (e.g. "Tell me about the last time your convinced someone to change their opinion," "Tell me about your most/least exciting experience on your resume"), questions about your knowledge of the company (you should be able to say what the companies "three pillars" are, and talk a little about what they mean), and questions about social justice in general (e.g. "What is your definition of social justice," "Who are the oppressed and underserved" ... if you are up to date with current events and can reflect on that then you will be fine).

I was also asked at this point what my desired salary range would be, what office I would want to work in, and what other companies I was applying to (The recruiter then asked me to rank ThoughtWorks and the other companies that I was applying for, I navigated around doing this by saying I didn't feel comfortable doing so as I was in different points in the hiring process. The recruiter accepted the answer, but you could tell this wasn't what he was hoping for). Because I had a deadline for another offer within the next week, the recruiter worked very quickly and was able to schedule me for an onsite interview within the next week.

Onsite interview was, again, exactly as everyone described. My advice is to go in knowing what topic you wish to present on for your 5 min STEM presentation. Make sure you are up to date with current events/social causes and can articulate your opinions on these issues. Also brush up on your object oriented programming skills, although this question didn't seem too difficult, I don't have any formal experience with OOP and so I struggled to identify the correct terminology on how to organize various classes.

Onsite interview took place Thurs/Fri, my recruiter called me Monday morning informing me they would not be extending me an offer. He gave me detailed feedback and said that their people were pretty split, and so they encourage me to work on the few trouble areas and apply again in 4 - 6 months.

Tips: As I mentioned before, try and write unite tests for you code sample. Make sure you're up to date with current events and can articulate yourself on whatever opinions you have about these issues.

Lastly, although they are a pretty casual company and everyone is super friendly, it's important to remember that they're a consulting company, so they do still look for a certain air of professionalism from all their employees. Especially because you tend to spend two days with the same people, the interviews tend to be more conversational/team-oriented, and everyone is incredibly friendly and casual, I found it pretty easy to forget this. So just make sure that your mannerism and body language don't come off as too casual.

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at ThoughtWorks (Chicago, IL) in January 2016.

Interview

My interview process started in October 2015 when I submitted my resume. After about 2 weeks I was contacted via email to complete the code challenge and answer a questionnaire. Since I was abroad for 2 weeks I had to ask for an extension which was approved. The code challenge had to be written in either Java or C#. Showing your OO design skills is important here and writing some tests. I suggest you spend some time seriously thinking and answering the questionnaire as it will be used again for the in person interview. I submitted the two items in mid November.

I didn't hear back from them and reached out after two weeks. They got back to me in the beginning of December for a phone interview and scheduled one a week before Christmas. The phone interview was a basic cultural interview about who I am, my previous experiences and what I think about social justice (basically a shorter version of the non technical in person interview). At the end of the phone interview they told me that they would like to fly me to Chicago for a 2 day in-person interview in mid January. They booked my flight and hotel.

The interview is on Thursday and Friday. They fly you in on Wednesday. They send an email a couple days before with details of what the two days will be like. On Thursday, there was a presentation, Q&A and a office walkthrough of Thoughtworks. Then we had to take a Wonderlic Test which was 12 minutes long with 50 questions. The ThoughtWorks logic test was next. There are 11 problems and you have an hour to complete it. I was only able to complete 10 of them. The last part of the interview for that day was a group assignment. We were given specs and told to build a house with the lowest cost for puggles. There was a time limit of 25 minutes. They watched us talk it out and draw the house. After 25 minutes we had to present our solution. That was it for the first day.

On Friday, we were each given a personalized schedule and assigned rooms where the interviews would be held. We then had an hour to prepare a STEM presentation to be given during the non pair programming technical interview. I had the pair programming interview first for 1.5 hours. I worked with two other Thoughtworkers on my laptop to refactor my code from the code challenge. Here they asked me a lot of questions about why I designed my program the way I did and how I would improve on it. I really enjoyed this part of the interview. I also asked a lot of questions about OO and programming questions in general. Next up was the 2nd technical interview for 1 hour. I did my 5 minute presentation and they asked me questions. Then they went through my resume and asked me about OO and general programming questions. It was then time for lunch and we sat in the open area chatting and eating.

After lunch, I had the non technical interview. This is where they learn about who you are and what your views of the world are. They had general questions about how I would handle certain work situations and thought provoking questions like does democracy really work. Most of it is based on what you wrote on the questionnaire.

Overall I enjoyed the interview. It really does take a lot out of you and by the end of the second day I was pretty burnt out. Every person I met was friendly and made us feel as comfortable as possible.

Try not to be too nervous and relax. Take time to go through your code and questionnaire before the interview. Try to drink something warm before/during the interview. It definitely helps calm your nerves.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Associate Consultants are non negotiable