ThoughtWorks Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 20, 2017

3.5

People Manager (HR) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at ThoughtWorks (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Phone interview with internal recruiter - 1 hour good thorough questions. Onsite interview with the HR Team + legal with the exception of one member were horrendous! Rude, distracted and bored interviewers (sorry I took up YOUR time not to mention mine). Very unwelcoming group and no professionalism.

Interview Questions

• Handling consultants and work-life-balance options when on the road 100%.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at ThoughtWorks.

Interview

Went to some TW event to get a feel for the culture and people. Liked the vibes and applied online. Scheduled an interview call. The time/date happened, and I didn't get a call. The next week, the recruiter emailed to reschedule, saying that something had come up during our interview. Moved on to the next round, which was a case question. Was supposed to hear back from the recruiter, but at this point --I felt like I couldn't trust him to follow through. This experience was very unprofessional and made me not want to pursue this conversation with TW.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself and what you're looking for next.   Answer Question

Principal Technologist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at ThoughtWorks (New York, NY) in May 2017.

Interview

This was a pretty standard phone interview, starting by questions regarding my background and then move on to skills review to understand if it was a match with the job description. They also probed into how I would impact the company if I got the job.

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at ThoughtWorks (Chicago, IL) in May 2017.

Interview

Applied through a Recruiter. Process was very slow. Took 2 months total, often with a week or two with no follow up, feedback. The Agency I worked through were nice and professional, but I got the impression the delays were on the TW's end. Even though I'm local, they had me do 2 phone interviews before being invited in. When I was invited in, the interview started with the interviewer criticizing another employer and the way they treat their employees.

I heard a lot of disturbing things about this company as I researched. For the job I was applying for, there were 4 people in the role in the previous 2 years. That speaks volumes. Also, every indication was the company shares some fairly radical views on politics and I saw a lot of evidence of this, including here in Glassdoor (inappropriate questions, even one asking directly "what political party do you support?".

The company seems elitist and doesn't have the role I applied for structured properly at all. They seem more concerned about every single person agreeing with the approach of the new hire and gaining consensus on every thing they'll do which is just not realistic.

Interview Questions

• How do you get everyone involved to agree with your approach?   Answer Question

Technical Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at ThoughtWorks (New York, NY) in March 2017.

Interview

Initially there was a 45-60 minute phone interview in which my background as well as the role itself was discussed. That was followed by an on-site presentation. I had been asked to prepare a PowerPoint explaining my sourcing strategies as well as how one would 'sell' the organization externally.

The feedback from the PowerPoint presentation seemed fairly strong and it was implied that the next step was an extensive on-site interview (meeting with various HR and 'Tech' stakeholders). However before that was confirmed, an online personality test and a random video interview were scheduled. That interview was between me and two other recruiters (one based in New York the other in Houston). My impression was the conversation went well and assumed I would progress to the on-site.

This video interview was the last time anyone at ThoughtWorks spoke with me. They went radio silent. It has been extremely unprofessional. Obviously they made the decision to not move forward. However the fact that not a single person has spoken with me since the last interview is absurd. I spent a lot of time speaking with various individuals (as well as preparing the PowerPoint). Not providing any update or feedback is almost comical.

I highly suggest other candidates proceed with extreme caution. Being a recruiter myself, I'm just....well perplexed.

Interview Questions

• -Present Ideal ThoughtWorks Candidates
      -Sell ThoughtWorks to Us
      -Explain Sourcing Techniques   Answer Question

HR Business Partner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at ThoughtWorks (Chicago, IL) in February 2017.

Interview

I phone screened with 4 different staff members, and did one web interview the day before my on-site interview. Times ranged from 30 minutes to 1 hour. I really enjoyed learning about the company and I can appreciate the screening process but 4 different calls and a video interview were excessive. Not to mention the interview was set mid day so I had to take a whole unpaid day off of work.

The on-site interview itself lasted 5 hours meeting with several people. At one point I had nothing to do in a conference room for 30 minutes before my next interview.

Interview Questions

• Two role play scenarios with actual employees while a HRBP monitors your conversation, approach, and fit.   Answer Question

Senior Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at ThoughtWorks (Chicago, IL) in January 2017.

Interview

2 Phone interviews, followed by preparing a assessment presentation and then I was asked to present the same.

Overall the process was long- almost 5 weeks before they concluded the decision.

Recruiter Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at ThoughtWorks.

Interview

I had three phone screens and then had to put together a presentation, and then an ALL day onsite. I was there for almost 8 hours. It was the most intense interview I've ever had. For someone who has worked in top Tech companies recruiting Engineers, this was insane. Not even technical Leads go through this. I had to present to a room full of people and was then probed on sensitive diversity questions that seemed inappropriate and perhaps violated some HR laws. I left feeling completely drained, demoralized, and picked apart. I didn't end up getting the position and it looks like they're still looking for someone, which doesn't surprise me. Take a chance on someone. Don't totally pick them apart and make them feel like crap in the interview. Figure out a way to shorten it. Presenting to a large group like that is just cruel.

Interview Questions

• Just be prepared to answer anything and everything. Be prepared to feel totally uncomfortable.   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at ThoughtWorks (New York, NY) in November 2016.

Interview

1. InfoSession
    - a video call with many other potential candidates and two recruiters to answer questions.
    2. Questionnaire
    - around 3 page questionnaire to test culture fit
    3. Coding Exercise
    - simple coding exercise in Java (get two options to select from)
    4. Video Interview
    - video call interview with recruiter, < 30 min

Only made it to round 4 (video interview). I was very interested in the AC program and thought the company was great. But through the recruiting process, had a negative perception of the company's operations and HR team. They were quite unorganized in that they did not do what they promised, in the timeline they described. For example, I had to reach out for them to send me the questionnaire, twice. They also cut off communication for 6 weeks after the video interview despite saying they had a 1 week turnaround and me having sent them two followup emails. Overall, an unorganized and unprofessional process.

IT Technical Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at ThoughtWorks (Chicago, IL) in November 2016.

Interview

I had two phone interviews back in November of 2016. The first person I interviewed with was very professional and seasoned. The second person was rude and kept cutting me off when she asked me a question. She was a member of the team who was based in Houston and had a thick accent. I did not get the job because I would work better in a structured environment. My background is in consulting and most consultants work in environments were there is no structure. The bottom line is that she did not like the fact that I was asking her questions that she was not prepared to answer and thought provoking.