ThoughtWorks Interview Questions in London, England | Glassdoor

3.4

32 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Product Strategist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at ThoughtWorks (London, England (UK)) in July 2017.

Interview

I was originally invited for a phone interview however this never happened. I was asked to reschedule just before our agreed upon time. I happily agreed to that. On the rescheduled time, I was stood up. The interviewer apologized and offered to call the following day. I agreed and waited at the agreed upon time and was stood up again. This time I was offered no explanation and subsequent emails have all been ignored.

I don't know how often this happens at Thoughtworks, but be aware that this does happen. If this happens to you. I recommend getting in touch with their head of recruitment, but I don't think this will do anything.

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at ThoughtWorks (London, England (UK)) in June 2017.

Interview

Two months process. Had to chase all the time. A lot of effort. Not getting back on time. At the end - they hired somebody more junior. Why waste two months of my time?

Senior Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at ThoughtWorks (London, England (UK)).

Interview

Initial phone screening interview.
    Then a mini project is given to be done in 3 days.
    The next day email came saying its been approved.
    The email said 3 rounds in one day and depending on outcome another managerial interview.
    One hour social justice, one hour pairing interview, one and half hour logic assessment.
    But the email informatiin about the timing itself didnt seem to be sent out right to me. I was told 10 till 10.30 social justice a relief and then one hour pairung interview. When i reached there before 10 had to wait for another half an hour, then the lady was asking why didnt I bring the laptop and didnt feel like the best of the people to be paired with or a strange experience of pairing. Social justice interview was fair enough though. As I felt quite not right those paired people too didnt like me. So they didnt take me to the next riund including logic test.

Interview Questions

• Pairing interview was bit awkward situation. I was asked to explain it. But i didnt know thry genuinely wanted to know or theywere just checking me. Something quite wasnt right with resoect to communication. Clearing a pairung interview depends on the luck whom you get to pair. There is no rocket science in it.   Answer Question

Head of Marketing Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at ThoughtWorks (London, England (UK)) in April 2017.

Interview

I wouldn't recommend wasting your time unless you have no other options. They talk a lot about their great "process" and being "transparent and fair". It isn't. It feels like they make it up as they go along, it was unprofessionally managed, they are extremely arrogant, dishonest and unfair. 6 stage interview over 7 weeks. Told me they would make an offer but actually the role was re-posted and a new applicant passed through a different process in 5 day to be made an offer. They kept me hanging on in reserve for 11 days after final interview. I have never been exposed to such dishonest, unfair and unprofessional behaviour in my 25 year career. In over 6 hours of interviews, I was only allowed 15 minutes to ask questions.
    You are treated as a process, not a talented person. It should be a two-way exercise but it's exactly the opposite. They make much of the 'social justice' interview but it was pure download from me - I was only asked one, very basic, question. If you work in Tech, there are many, many companies that it's worth investing your time in - this is not one of them. I was told I would get a "much better feel for the company" at the fifth stage which was 3.5 hours at their office - I didn't at all - I was l just left in the kitchen area for over an hour with nothing to do.
    ThoughtWorks are struggling to recruit good people, They talked about this extensively. My experience, and those of many others, is a big part of the reason why.

03/28 – Applied for the role via your careers site
    04/04 – Telephone screening with Recruiter
    04/10 – Skype Interview with Global Head of Marketing (Only five minutes allowed in timing for me to ask questions)
    04/18 – Skype interview with UK Marketing team (Only five minutes allowed in timing for me to ask questions)
    05/02 – Completed online personality test
    05/04 – Skype interview with US Head of Marketing (A much more “modern” and conversational style – overran so kindly allowed 5 extra minutes for me to ask questions)
    05/05 – Three and a half hours at your office. I was left waiting for 35 minutes on my own in the kitchen as there was “no room” available to start the social justice interview. This was not a great first impression but these things happen. During the social justice interview, there were only two questions from the interviewees so it was pure download from me. Completed Wonderlic test and then left in the kitchen for another 25 minutes. My presentation ran to 70 minutes with questions from the panel and so there was no time for me to ask questions back to the panel at the end.
    05/06 The role was reposted on LinkedIn (I didn’t know until a colleague informed me three days later)
    05/09 - Final interview with UK MD. I was informed in advance that a final decision would be made soon after this. I messaged the recruiter at 5pm and asked when a final decision would be made. I was told “hopefully we can conclude this tomorrow”
    05/10 – I chased the recruiter again towards close of business and was told “I am chasing Ruth. I know she is very keen, just waiting for signoff from the COO who is US based… I will let you know the minute I have it confirmed.”
    05/11 – I heard nothing so chased the recruiter again towards the end of the day. I was told at this point that the COO still hadn’t signed off and that a brand-new applicant who had applied that day would be spoken to the following day. Obviously, I expressed some concern and I’m told that you are interviewing a new candidate “in case you do not accept” – I assure the recruiter that it is my intention to accept. I was told that I was still the “preferred” candidate (it later turned out that I had been the only candidate up to this point).
    05/12 – I heard nothing so called the recruiter. I was told that they had a “desire to move forward with me” and the process would be concluded by 05/15 or 05/16 at the latest. I was re-assured that I was still the “preferred” candidate.
    05/12 – New candidate enters and the process is completed in five working days (as opposed my 7 weeks). This candidate gets to meet the Interim UK Head of Marketing – this part of the process was not afforded to me despite it being promised and me reminding that I would like to. Therefore, a different process is applied to this candidate.
    05/15 – at the end of the day, I received an email saying that the new candidate would be completing the process 05/16 to 05/18.
    05/16 – I called the recruiter first thing and left a voicemail requesting a call back. I was not called back
    05/18 – I heard nothing all day so texted the recruiting asking if a final decision had been made.
    05/19 – 11 days after my final interview. The recruiter informed me that they would be concluding and “making an offer early to mid-afternoon”. At the end of the day I was told that the other candidate had accepted the role. The recruiter still insists that I did have a meeting with the Interim Head – I absolutely didn’t.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at ThoughtWorks (London, England (UK)) in April 2017.

Interview

I was called for an hour then asked to do a technical test for competency, everything went well until the results for the technical test. I received some valid criticism which is great but then received some very unhelpful criticism with no explanation on what I did wrong just what they didn't like, the technical test was badly explained and I was failed on criteria not mentioned in the brief.

Interview Questions

• How to solve the a technical exercise on translating imaginary words   1 Answer

Technical Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 7+ weeks. I interviewed at ThoughtWorks (London, England (UK)) in March 2017.

Interview

I have gone through 3 stages of interviewing only for them to go completely cold. I applied online after an invitation to apply from one of their internal recruiters. I managed to arrange a call with him 3 weeks after my initial application. Was a 30min call as to the reasons why I am applying. I then went on a 2nd stage interview, over the phone, for like 1hr or so with one of their team leaders/ programe managers. He agreed that we should have a face-to-face one later on that month. I got contacted by a 3rd internal recruiter to be advised that my application is progressing and they will be in touch in due time. Since then I heard nothing back and has been more like two months now (!!).

Interview Questions

• A lot of questions about Agile, processes, XP etc. IF you are an experienced Agile PM you won't have many problems answering all of them.   Answer Question

Senior Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at ThoughtWorks (London, England (UK)).

Interview

That was the very first stage - home work.
    I was given a "home work", which consisted of three problems, where I had to select one of them and do it offline at home. The time limit was 3-4 days.
    The company suggested that any of these problems is worth of 3-4 hours of coding.

I received no feedback on the submitted solution.

Interview Questions

• The problems were boiling down to the following:
      1) Graph path finding algorithms, (the shortest path, number of paths etc.)
      2) The optimal scheduling problem
      3) An obscure language interpreter (which boils down to the non-LR grammar/parser)
      All the above problems were coming with some twist and also the condition was not use any external libraries apart from testing frameworks.   1 Answer

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at ThoughtWorks (London, England (UK)).

Interview

A recruiter approached me for this job through LinkedIn.

There are a lot of different stages to the ThoughtWork interview process.

Although this can be daunting, as you progress you begin to appreciate the process as it enables you to gain a better sense of the company and meet more potentially future colleagues!

Each stage involved different people, and were of a different format - discussions, presentation, competency based... All interviewees were friendly, well prepared for the interviews and didn't ask any "trick" questions.

I heard back after each stage quickly, feedback from the recruiter constructive and helpful. Although the overall process took a month or so that was mainly due to travel plans I already had booked.

UI Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at ThoughtWorks (London, England (UK)) in June 2016.

Interview

After meeting ThoughtWorks at a job fair and giving them my CV I was contacted about the role of UI Developer and went through a telephone screening. I was then asked to complete a technical test.

The technical test was a significant piece of work that took a couple of days. I was given a scamp / Design wireframe and requested to make this into a production-ready, responsive, cross-browser, static web page using HTML and CSS considering the visual design. For “bonus points” I was asked to make the page accessible.

I was then invited into a technical interview. The recruitment team took almost a week to set up the interview and told me two days before on the Wednesday that my interview would be on a Friday and would take a half-day. I advised that I could not book off time at such short notice and we agreed that I would come in for an hour in the morning.

I was being interviewed by a JavaScript developer and head of the development team. The interview started with a short introduction into my background, my technical test was then put up onto a shared screen. I was asked to change some CSS and Javascript using one of the interviewer’s laptops. This unnerved me, firstly I was being asked to use an unfamiliar machine without even an introduction to what was setup and what was being used. Secondly, I was very confused to why I was being asked to debug JS when I had completed the UI element of the technical test. There were a lot of JS questions I struggled with as IMHO this wasn't the role I applied for.

My work then continued to be being critiqued and I was, quite rightly, questioned to why one of my labels was not linked to an input field. I was then asked about different MV* frameworks, AJAX and then we returned to talking about different browsers and Sass.

There were no questions on UX, interactive design, accessibility, visual Design, Photoshop or prototyping which I found very strange. I was asked to rate my skillset which I also found a little odd as I completed a comprehensive spider diagram before the interview and my CV is detailed with this information.

I felt like a lot of my information was not read and the preparation for this interview was somewhat last minute. It was also evident that the readme from my technical test had not even been glanced at. A couple of questions were worded badly, it was difficult to understand what the ‘real technical question’ was. Several times this didn’t make sense to me until it was repeated by the other interviewer in a different manner.

I was deeply disappointed at this interview, I felt like what the job spec and technical test requested were very different from how I was being questioned.

I also felt the technical test was a very large upfront investment on my part when I wasn’t 100% sure that ThoughtWorks would be a good fit. Investing two days into a technical test is now a massive red flag in my mind, I will not be doing this again for any company. A technical test should take a couple of hours maximum.

Interview Questions

• Please remove the focus outline from this element using CSS   1 Answer
    • Please debug this buggey JS hover event   1 Answer
    • If you click this button what should happen?   1 Answer
    • How would you setup and sync a project across platforms?   1 Answer

Content Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at ThoughtWorks (London, England (UK)) in April 2016.

Interview

This was a thorough process, with several stages that allowed me to meet with many different members of the ThoughtWorks team. This helped to get to know the organisation from a variety of angles and ensure that I came away with a better understanding of the culture of the business.

The interviews were all discursive in nature, allowing for a conversation to develop that went well beyond the standard Q&A approach, absorbing broader interests and company values to make the experience more engaging and natural.

One particular stage, that was unique in my experience of interviewing, was the discussion around social justice: a core pillar of the ThoughtWorks organisation. Having delivered a presentation about a topic of my choosing, a follow-on chat about that subject gave me the opportunity to talk about a matter that I personally connected with.

My advice for preparing for an interview is to be as well-read on your current affairs at the time of interview as you are in tune with your own experience. Of course, this was my experience as a marketing applicant but I feel that it will help with some of the broader discussions that come from the open interview structure - something that is reflected in the internal culture of the organisation.

Good luck!