ThoughtWorks Senior Software Consultant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

ThoughtWorks Senior Software Consultant Interview Questions

Updated Apr 10, 2017

2 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Senior Software Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pune City (India)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at ThoughtWorks (Pune City (India)) in April 2017.

Interview

I got the call from HR, followed by coding round.

Coding round consist of problem solving followed by peer review.

I solved the problem with required design pattern(Strategy) and supporting test cases within time. After coding round there was peer coding round where one of the interviewer seats with you and ask to refactor and change the code based on new requirement.

It didn't go well, my code was more generic and extensible. According to interviewer it was not necessary which strikes odd to me. Anyway, I tried to explain but he didn't convince.

I had used POJO to store ticket information, he wanted data and processing on it in same class. For this I tried to explain how we can use POJO across different classes without exposing internal behavior. Again, he was not convinced.

So in overall interview process I felt that they take interview to reject you not to select you, as I have done many right things while solving problem. Used correct design pattern, there was clear separation of responsibility among the different object, had written test cases to cover all the functional aspect.

Interview Questions

• Problem Statement : 18 Ralway Stations from Tamil Nadu are given. A passenger need ticket. Upto the 5 stations journey, fare is 10 Rs. After the 5 stations, for every 5 stations, 5 Rs extra will be charged. For the full stretch journey i.e. From 1st to the last station, fare is 20 Rs. Input 1 : StationFrom - Guindy, StationTo - Kadambakkam Output 1 : Print ticket. i.e. StationFrom : Guindy, StationTo : Kadambakkam, Total Stops : 3, Total Fare : 10 Input 2 : StationFrom - Guindy , StationTo - Chennai Fort Output 2 : Print ticket. i.e. StationFrom : Guindy, StationTo : Chennai Fort, Total Stops : 8, Total Fare :15 Code should follow design principles, patterns. Test Driven Development would be preferable, not mandatory though.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for ThoughtWorks

Senior Software Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pune (India)

Interview

Now, every Ex-ThoughtWorks friend of mine warned me to not go the company for discussions. But I really needed to find out why they were all asking me not to go.

The first round of discussion was with two people. One of them seemed very unhappy in general. The other seemed to be focused on proving a single point – that he had many opinions on technology.

I was there hoping to talk about some of the big data work that ThoughtWorks had proudly displayed on their website.

I was immediately told by them that Big Data is all useless and that there are more solutions available than problems to solve. I was also told that Thought Works was never planning to become a Big Data house. So I tried to ask why they mentioned it on the website but all I got in response is - we're digressing, and that we needed to get back to the interview. (What interview?)

We began discussing a programing language. In two minutes, that discussion turned into a one-sided rage against the language and how the frameworks that people-successfully-use-worldwide-across-millions-of-applications was the biggest crime of the 21st century. It was quickly evident that neither of them had much depth in the said frameworks, they happened to mention a few terribly incorrect details. However, they had an opinion of the framework’s evil monstrosity.

The next set of gentlemen were no different. In fact, it felt like they were in a hurry to get back to what they were doing. Neither of them wanted to hear anything related to my past experience. Again, both of them lacked depth about frameworks (again some horribly incorrect details were mentioned) and voila, up came the framework bashing. It was amusing to see such hard opinions created over nothing concrete.

At the end, I learnt what my Ex-ThoughtWorks friends were trying to explain and why they had left. They had warned me that the current culture revolved about how having an opinion was more important that having knowledge. The interview experience was nothing but disappointing. Technology is but a means to solve problems that customers face, they all come with good and bad. There is no place for egotistic attacks during an interview, it's highly immature. I was merely giving ThoughtWorks a chance. I ideally wanted to cut the discussion halfway and leave. However, I was courteous enough to respect their time though they didn't seem to respect mine.

Companies need to start keeping a check on the attitude and arrogance of their employees, especially during interviews. The panel is the face of the company’s culture and attitude. The interviewers and the processes are also being judged by candidates to decide if they are going to like working in the company. Only the desperate could put up with bad attitude. Companies should ensure to keep out arrogance as they expand.