ThoughtWorks Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

ThoughtWorks Software Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at ThoughtWorks

3.6

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at ThoughtWorks (Chicago, IL) in May 2011.

Interview

They flew me to Chicago where I spent several hours doing tests.

2 hours in the morning on skills testing then 3 1 hour interviews after lunch: (a) pairing interview: some pair programming; (b) technical interview; (c) values and consulting interview.

It has been a while now but what was clear was that they were probing me for my political opinions. That was surprising and seemed unprofessional. I was mostly non-committal in my responses. I had the impression they were looking for more enthusiastic endorsement of the various political causes they mentioned. They apparently don't want a diversity of opinion within their walls.

No offer. Quite happy to pass them up too. Struck me as being a rather odd shop, condescending, intolerant, unprofessional.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for ThoughtWorks

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

One telephonic interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at ThoughtWorks (Chicago, IL).

Interview

First the company invited groups of student to visit the offices at chicago and to answer questions and take three tests: analytic, logical and team work. It is not that difficult. Just be yourself and do not hesitate to ask questions because they will look after your personality to know who you truly are.
    Then if you pass these tests they will email you questions and a programming problem to submit. If you match the requirements you will get another interview to explain your code and test your technical skills.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at ThoughtWorks (Philadelphia, PA) in September 2015.

Interview

First I submitted a code sample, which was a simple question but they asked us to answer it in such a way that it could be easily scaled. I was asked to submit a document of 20ish personality questions. Then I was interviewed over the phone - this, again, focused more on personality but also provided me with an opportunity to elaborate on my experiences.

Interview Questions

• A series of abstract questions related to how I would handle various situations - these were questions to test my way of thinking rather than being directly applicable to the job I was applying for.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at ThoughtWorks (San Francisco, CA) in November 2017.

Interview

1. Phone call with talent scout.
    2. Phone call with software engineer, mostly non-technical.
    3. Take-home project. 3 options to choose from.
    4. 7-hour (!) on-site interview. This consists of random technical and behavioral questions, a pair-programming session (adding features to your take-home project), a personality test, and a logic test.

Overall I thought the interview process was pretty good, but it's such an enormous waste of time if you don't get the job. I think I spent 15+ hours between all the interviewing and the take-home project. It's frustrating to receive a very vague reason like "not experienced enough". My experience and coding abilities should have been pretty apparent from my work history and the project that they reviewed before they called me in.

Interview Questions

• Choose from three projects:
      - finding an efficient route between several points
      - parsing strings to translate currency from one format to another
      - comparing schedules   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at ThoughtWorks in August 2018.

Interview

Group meeting about the company and the job roles, we also discussed about the clients and the consulting job and the India training for a few weeks. After that we were given a coding challenge.

Interview Questions

• Implement an undirected graph and traverse it.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manchester, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at ThoughtWorks (Manchester, England (UK)) in November 2014.

Interview

I have applied online, and then invited to a phone interview 2 days after. The interview was relatively short (15 minutes), but I was very nervous and didn't not feel confident while talking. The questions were pretty easy. Basic things about Why ThoughtWorks and How do you keep yourself up-to-date with technological news. I got the email that I am not going through at the same day.

Interview Questions

• How would you explain to your friend, who does not know nothing about software engineering, what exactly a Software Engineer does?   1 Answer
    • What are the challenges faced by Consultants?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at ThoughtWorks (São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)) in September 2012.

Interview

The process is too long, and starts with a day-time event, in which some collaborators present the company, its values and its culture, before start with the actual process, with tests for notions of mathematics and basic pattern recognition. A logic test, which was very difficult to make due to the need of keeping track of the stack of execution and then came a technical interview with one of the technical leaders, which is the best part of it, once it turns out to be a change of experiences.
    Later there is a value interview, when the company tries to find out if your culture is compatible with theirs. A very complex code test is sent by e-mail. You have to choose among 3 problems to solve, but both 3 are equally difficult to solve.
    At last, a time with the whole team so they can know about you, what is your style of work, and a session of pair-programming.

Interview Questions

The process took too long (about 3 months) and in the mean time I got another offer to a more interesting job.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chennai (India)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at ThoughtWorks (Chennai (India)) in June 2014.

Interview

one coding round, technical interview,management interview round. Then the HR round to cap things off. Got a call via Naukri for the Chennai location.
    coding round has one application to be built. they look for the design and architecture rather than the result.
    technical interview is about your data structures.
    management round again is about the platform and language you work in.(oops)

Interview Questions

• how would you implement facebook's mutual friends logic   1 Answer

had another better offer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pune (India)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at ThoughtWorks (Pune (India)) in July 2013.

Interview

it is a two-day process
    the interview was real tough
    first was the aptitude round which really forced us for some real thinking.
    after that was coding rounds 1 and 2 in which we were required th make 5 codes
    the second day we were called into their office for interview