ThredUP Interview Questions | Glassdoor

ThredUP Interview Questions

Updated Aug 3, 2017

2.1

Anonymous Interview

Interview

I had multiple rounds of onsite interviews. Folks were all really nice, but it felt like they hadn't figured out roles clearly. I came in for several onsite rounds and met with many people. There was some kind of restructuring going on each time I came in, which is usually not a good sign. Eventually I guess the role I was looking at got axed. The people seemed nice, just wish it had been more professional and they hadn't wasted my time.

N/A Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at ThredUP.

Interview

Over the span of one month, I had a phone screening with the recruiter followed up by a phone interview with the hiring manager and 2-hour long on-site interview with various team members.

The phone interviews were standard fare, though the position seemed to have been changed slightly from the original job posting. By the time I came to the office, the position had changed some more. I wasn't able to get a clear understanding of the role's duties and expectations from any of the individuals that had interviewed me. A few of them said that they were still figuring it out, which didn't give me much confidence.

Throughout the interviews, they asked me a lot of questions about my previous roles and the internal structure of the companies I had worked for. Two separate people asked me to diagram these structures out on a white board, taking up most of our scheduled interview time. It made me uncomfortable and I felt like they were just mining for information about competitors. It was odd, though everybody that I interviewed with seemed to have very positive feedback about my fit for the role and I left feeling that I'd have an offer on the table soon after.

It has been over one month since my on-site and there has been no follow up at all from them.

Warehouse Worker Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at ThredUP.

Interview

Not really an interview. It was a group of us, at least 12. Basically we learned about the company. Then we took a tour around the warehouse and shown different areas. Then were drug tested.

Finance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at ThredUP (San Francisco, CA) in July 2017.

Interview

I had almost a full day of interviews with several individuals. People seemed really nice, but it felt like they hadn't figured out role clearly. I really thought that my background was a great fit the only problem was I felt like they didn't know what route their company is going. My last interview was the worse. It seemed like they wanted someone with a engineering mindset and not accounting or finance. They surely don't seem like they got their departments straight so much restructuring and changes with their manages. I also noticed that their turnovers were pretty high. I thought the interview was a total waste of time and energy.

Interview Questions

• Engineering questions were so out of the finance realm.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at ThredUP (San Francisco, CA) in June 2017.

Interview

First interview with technical recruiter followed by technical interview with an Engineer. Then they scheduled me for an onsite interview but because of their team conflicts they did onsite with video instead. The interview was with an Engineer, followed by two higher position people and then followed by online coding with VP of Engineering. The interview went very well and next round was with CTO and CPO. Then they called to visit office just to make sure that I liked office or not. At last they rejected me. Just the waste of time. Why to call people to visit office saying that its only to make sure whether you liked office or not.

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at ThredUP (San Francisco, CA) in June 2017.

Interview

The process was 3 steps: an recruiter phone call, a phone call with the hiring manager, and an onsite where I interviewed with several team members.

The onsite experience was very average. I was provided a list of people who I'd be interviewing with onsite, but most of the list was incorrect. The interviewers repeatedly asked the same basic questions, like "Tell me about your previous experience" and "Why thredUP?" Nothing challenging, no behavioral based questions, just generic lines that reveal very little about the candidate's qualifications. It felt very amateur and left me rather unimpressed. That said, I wouldn't describe the overall experience as negative, it just has a lot of potential for improvement.

On a positive note, the recruiters were very helpful throughout the entire process (minus the interviewing list, but that wasn't a big deal). Also, although my onsite experience was lackluster, everyone I met with was really nice and welcoming, and they gave great answers to my questions about the company and position.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your previous experience.   1 Answer
    • Most of the team are women, will that be a problem?   1 Answer
    • Why thredUP?   1 Answer

Production Designer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at ThredUP.

Interview

Three weeks of one phone Interview per week. Lots of waiting. For 'feedback' and follow up. Production design test distributed with note to hear to bring in for in person interview. 24 hours after, basic rejection email received. Looked into backgrounds and work of current employees and cannot figure out any feedback about why candidacy wasn't chosen for in person Interview. Emailed for follow up feedback with no responses.

Interview Questions

• Are you comfortable with extremely fast paced environments and turn arounds?   1 Answer

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at ThredUP.

Interview

Easy. They called right away to set up an interview. Met with management to discuss opportunities and where you fit in with company. Ask you a few questions about availability. Ask you about past experiences and what you look for in a job.

Interview Questions

• Ask you a few questions about availability. Ask you about past experiences and what you look for in a job.   Answer Question

Senior Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at ThredUP (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

TL;DR Unprofessional/irrelevant interviews; Waste of time.
    I applied for a senior position on machine learning, relevance ranking/search, data scientist.
    The process is: HR --> a series of tech interviews (manager, director, engineer) --> cultural fit.

In-depth tech interviews with engineer and manager were unfriendly and irrelevant.
    Engineer didn't seem interested in any communication or my background match. I was asked a few system design questions -- which are still relevant at this point, and many random questions (NoSQL, Postgres, consistency, etc). I used these in earlier projects so I can still answer majority. Engineer didn't seem interested in any communication or follow-up and kept saying "let's switch gear" every few minutes and moved between random topics.

Manager did one initial tech round, and an additional impromptu extensive tech interview which is strange and irrelevant to the job I applied for. I got asked extensively on Ruby on Rails details (digging deeper and deeper on specific Rails aspects until I couldn’t answer) and full-stack Web, which has zero relevance to the job and people's general expectation of the role. I worked on multiple Web projects before, so I could still answer majority of questions, but failed to recall a few small details as he kept digging narrower. I was then asked for code samples and job references.

Throughout the process, the friendly HR told me the feedback is positive, but final decision was delayed. Later, they told me they could not give offer, as they need to hire more senior/manager people for the new team. And the manager insisted on providing me interview feedback, which roughly says “lack of in-depth knowledge of Rails, and Postgres; lack of production code samples.”
    I find it amusing since these were never part of the job requirement, and no employee is legally allowed to share “production code” to future employers.

I was left with the impression that the team doesn’t know what they’re doing or what they want for a machine learning/recommendation/relevance ranking role, not even to mention a senior one. I have closely-relevant research and project experience, and abundant experience interviewing for similar positions with other reputed experts in the field, so I believe I know what a good interview experience looks like.

Interview Questions

• In-depth Rails questions, in particular on routes;
      What are those HTTP methods, and corresponding Rails methods.
      Difference between PUT/UPDATE.
      What is PATCH?
      Rails routes: member, collections?
      MySQL vs. Postgres, why one over the other.
      MySQL vs. NoSQL.
      Design eCommerce websites;
      Design products recommendation for eCommerce.   1 Answer

Front End Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at ThredUP (San Francisco, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

I had a phone interview and then a onsite. There were three rounds first was technical coding second was cultural and third was general talks about my experience. The recuriter at the end told me she was hearing good reviews about from the interviewer and would get back to me. Bug next day I get an email saying they need more senior level then what I am. I mean common you see a resume and you take a phone interview and you can obviously gauge the level of a person. No where in job description it was written they need lead position person. I mean why are you wasting someone's time if you don't want to hire

Interview Questions

• General JavaScript, CSS, HTML pair programming questions   Answer Question