Thrillist Media Group Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Thrillist Media Group

2.5

Associate Writer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Thrillist Media Group (New York, NY).

Interview

had a phone interview with someone from HR then went for an in-person with a senior editor and managing editor. both in-person interviewers seemed like they hadn't even looked at my resume, and appeared uninterested in talking to me

Associate Producer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Thrillist Media Group.

Interview

I applied online, and heard back quickly from an hr rep. Then an in person interview with the head of the video department, and then a phone interview with the producer who would be my immediate supervisor. After the third interview, I never again heard from them. Even after reaching out to the producer and hr rep, they never replied. I would have appreciated an email or call letting me know I didn't get the position, rather than just disappearing. I've found it to be frustrating and very rude.

Operations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Thrillist Media Group (New York, NY) in June 2014.

Interview

It was the most bizarre experience I've ever had, and not in a good way. I knew someone very high up at the company and was referred by him for an Ad Operations position I saw online. I was bounced around from person to person (numerous phone calls and emails) until they told me they didn't think I was the right fit for the role. Then, they emailed me asking if I could come in to talk to a few people about an Operations role that had just opened up. I wouldn't even call it an interview. I spoke to 3 different people, who actually could not give me any description on what the role actually entailed. By the third person, I flat out asked "Is there even a set job title yet?" and they could not give me a direct answer. One of the C-level executives I spoke with was one of the most pompous men I have ever come in contact with. He was looking at my chest the entire interview, practically hitting on me, and still had no clue what he was even interviewing me for. I left feeling like I had completely wasted 3 hours of my day.

I remained professional and sent all 3 employees I had met a thank you email and kindly asked to be contacted when they knew more specifics about the role. Not only did I not receive a single reply, I never saw a job posting even anywhere near what they had tried to describe to me.

It was honestly the weirdest interview I have ever had. If you could even call it that. It seemed like a very bro-centric atmosphere with a bunch of dudes that feel super cool because they have whiskey at their company happy hours. Newsflash, we work in Manhattan, practically every start-up and young company has a free employee happy hour. Get off your high horse and treat your candidates with respect.

Interview Questions

• I don't even remember because I would not even consider this an interview.   Answer Question

Web Applications Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Thrillist Media Group (New York, NY) in December 2013.

Interview

I was contacted by the Company recruiter. 2 Phone interviews including a technical interview + 1 Onsite interview

Interview Questions

• 1. Write a function that will traverse an unbalanced, unsorted binary tree, looking for a node with a specific value. Your function should return a pointer to that node.

2. Write a small regular expression that will match most valid email addresses.

3. Write a program that, given a filename, returns the number of times the word “Thrillist” appears in the named file.

4. Database design question: An existing e-commerce system sells widgets to registered customers. The company has too much excess inventory. It wants to be able to offer discounts on certain products to certain customers, or certain groups of customers. How would you extend the schema below to support such an enhancement to the system?

5. Develop A Small Ad Server: For our mobile applications (iPad, iPhone and Android) we have to serve up different image advertisements to each different device. Generally our advertisers purchase their space for a month of time, but at times can be for only set periods of times. Sometimes they order for all three devices and other times for only one or two. Finally, each advertisement has a specific URL that the user should go to when they click on the advertisement.

We need you to describe how you’d build a small application to serve up these advertisements. You don’t need to write line by line code, but be able to describe the architecture of the system from a high level.   Answer Question

Web Applications Developer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Thrillist Media Group.

Interview

Applied through my school's Job portal. Recruiter contacted me by email. After intial background check phone call, there were 2 rounds of technical interviews. First one was phone interview and second one was online (hangout) coding interview. Phone interview had questions about basic OOP and java concepts : Polymorphism, abstract class and static methods, get and post methods. Database : normalization, sql injection. Coding interview was somewhat difficult.

Interview Questions

• Write a function that will traverse an unbalanced, unsorted binary tree, looking for a node with a specific value. Your function should return a pointer to that node.   Answer Question
    • Write a small regular expression that will match most valid email addresses.   Answer Question
    • Write a program that, given a filename, returns the number of times the word “Thrillist” appears in the named file.   Answer Question
    • An existing e-commerce system sells widgets to registered customers. The company has too much excess inventory. It wants to be able to offer discounts on certain products to certain customers, or certain groups of customers. How would you extend the schema below to support such an enhancement to the system? Existing schema has 2 tables : Users and Products   Answer Question
    • For our mobile applications (iPad, iPhone and Android) we have to serve up different image advertisements to each different device. Generally our advertisers purchase their space for a month of time, but at times can be for only set periods of times. Sometimes they order for all three devices and other times for only one or two. Finally, each advertisement has a specific URL that the user should go to when they click on the advertisement.

Be prepared to describe:
      ● How would you serve up the mobile advertisements?
      ● How would the data for each advertisement be stored (i.e., what does the database look like)?
      ● How would you track how many times the advertisement has been viewed or clicked?   Answer Question

Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Thrillist Media Group (New York, NY).

Interview

I was contacted about a position at Thrillist via an external recruiter.

After about three weeks of waiting, they finally decided they wanted to phone screen me. The screen went so well that they invited me into the office to meet a few team members, but stressed that this wasn't the real first interview. The meeting went great, I got to talk to two senior members of their product and development teams.

After the meet and greet ended, the more senior member I spoke to said "Yeah, lets get you in here for a coding test and a real first interview." The company's internal recruiter was on board with this.

After a month and a half of emailing the external recruiter, today I found out that they are going with other people. The internal recruiter completely stopped responding to me, and never had the common decency to even tell me they were choosing to go with other people.

I cannot rate this experience poor enough. Terrible communication, nobody knew what was going on. The two technical people I spoke to didn't even see my resume before they met me. It's hard not to take it personally when your last communication with them was "let's bring you in for an interview!" and then they just drop you like a rock and can't even be bothered to notify you that you won't be getting an interview, let alone an offer.

Interview Questions

• No questions were asked, we just discussed technology stacks   Answer Question

Analytics Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Thrillist Media Group (New York, NY).

Interview

The recruiter was really pleasant on the phone. Everything went well, until a couple days later. She said to email her if i have an questions. I did on multiple occassions and never got a replied. Very unprofessional.

Interview Questions

Thrillist Media Group Response

Sep 14, 2016

We are very sorry for any delay in answering your questions! Due to the volume of emails we receive, we are not always able to reply as promptly as we'd like. We will do our best to find and answer... More

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Thrillist Media Group (Los Angeles, CA) in October 2015.

Interview

First I heard about the job through an old coworker, then there was a phone interview with HR, then there was a video conference interview, then there was the first in-person interview, then I put together a presentation, then I was offered the job. They asked great questions and I felt I really enjoyed every person I interviewed with, enough to work with them on a daily basis.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Thrillist Media Group.

Interview

Phone screen with a clueless recruiter, 30 minute phone screen with a developer, 4 hour in-person interview with a pen &paper test and done. Interview process was rather painless except that it took forever for manager schedules to free up and it made me feel as if they were not at all urgent in filling their open role.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Wanted to offer me $10,000K below what I was last making. I ended up taking a $5K pay cut as I was promised quick growth - I was lied to.

Finance Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Thrillist Media Group (New York, NY) in June 2016.

Interview

Applied online. Took about a month before getting an email asking to set up a phone interview. Their HR team is really nice and everyone there is young so the interview was more like a conversation. Afterwards, get invited to meet with two leads on the team who take turns asking general interview questions and experience.