Thumbtack Data Scientist Interview Questions

Updated Oct 26, 2018

To filter interviews, or .
Found 7 of over 342 interviews

Recruiter17%
3.6
HardAverageEasy

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA) in Jul 2018

Interview

The process consists of a phone screen, a technical interview, and an onsite interview (four 1-hour sessions with lunch). The overall process was fairly quick and feedback is given usually 1-2 days following each round. They provided a helpful study guide and details about each interview. I thought that the questions were focused and reflective of the team's actual work. Lastly, the interviews provided valuable insight about the data science team and the company.

Interview Questions
  • Deep dive of a past data science/ML project
    1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA)

Interview

HR --> Tech Screen --> Onsite (Panel + 1vs1s) Overall, the interview process was organized and well thought out. Instead of focusing on random probability questions, Thumbtack was actually trying to find a person that can work as a data scientist: manipulate data, design/implement modeling problems, and communicate methods and results. All the data manipulation/modeling/coding questions were done on the computer with the language/packages of my preference. The interviewers were all very chill and friendly. You also get to have lunch with a member from a different team to ask questions and get a different view of the company.

Interview Questions
  • Can you do xyz with data? How will you solve this business question? How will you implement it?

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA) in Oct 2016

Interview

First round is take home exam. I spent a weekend to work on it. Then it comes back with one round phone interview. After that I was asked to go for a onsite interview with 4-5 one to one interview.

Interview Questions
  • AB testing and other data science questions

Thumbtack

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Thumbtack

Interview

One round of data challenge, one round of phone interview talking about how you do machine learning project. Full day onsite interview. The experience was great but beware of a female data scientist. She was sooooooo mean and rude. She thought she knew everything and assumed candidates was not "TRUE" data scientists. I don't think you will enjoy working with such a pretentious person. I'm curious how those other nice people in Thumbtack can put up with her.

Interview Questions
7 people found this interview helpful

Thumbtack

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Thumbtack in Mar 2015

Interview

Had a phone screen with a recruiter, followed by a coding challenge (data analysis on a small, artificial dataset), followed by an interview with a current data scientist. The first step went well, it was a pretty typical discussion with a technical recruiter. The coding challenge was not very difficult, and according to feedback from the recruiter the team was in general happy with my report. The interview with the data scientist was not quite what I expected. There were a lot of technical questions asked, which is not surprising, but the way they were asked was if the person had a "checklist" of things they were looking for, rather than trying to find out more about my background/experience and see if I'd be a person who could succeed with some learning curve for the position. I think they are definitely looking for someone with a specific type of work experience, and at this point aren't willing to hire someone with a different background who could learn the role. A lot of questions about A/B testing, so I think that would be the main function for the role.

Interview Questions
  • Basically walk through how you would perform A/B testing from start to finish, being very specific about the steps you'd take.
2 people found this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA)

Interview

1st an email phone screen with the recruiter asking about history, education, and expectations. 2nd take home data analysis challenge to be returned the next day. I won't spoil the details of the challenge, but the instructions were slightly vague. Because of that, I approached it as an open ended description of the data set with a few (what I thought were) clever insights. However, I think they were looking for a more specific description of a particular trend. I didn't get invited for an onsite, but they did provide me with valuable feedback about my performance on the challenge.

Interview Questions
  • The technical challenge was the only remarkable question really and it wasn't too _difficult_ per se, just a bit unclear what level of analysis was called for. Aim for the most thorough and statistically rigorous investigation of the small dataset that you can.
1 person found this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 week. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA) in Aug 2014

Interview

I applied through the website and got a call from the recruiter the following week. She instructed me to perform the data scientist code challenge which I completed on their website a couple days later. Two days later, I was told that I did well on the challenge and that they would more forward with a technical phone screen. I was bit bummed to hear this because I thought the code challenge would take the place of a technical phone screen. The following day a veteran software engineer of the company called. He explained that he's been the de facto data scientist and does work around A/B testing, predicting service prices, and SEO optimization. He then proceeded to ask questions pertaining to A/B testing and SEO optimization. The questions were relevant, but it was disappointing how focused he was on hearing details rather than the big picture. It's been awhile since I brushed up on my textbook definitions, and unfortunately could not provide the exact words he was looking for. All the questions he asked seemed like they could have been answered through a quick Google search and didn't really test abstract thinking.

Interview Questions
2 people found this interview helpful
RSS Feed</>Embed