Thumbtack Front End Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Aug 6, 2018

To filter interviews, or .
Found 6 of over 342 interviews

Recruiter20%
Employee Referral20%
HardAverageEasy

Thumbtack

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Thumbtack in Jul 2018

Interview

I spoke to the recruiter on the phone, then I had a code test with one of the engineers in San Francisco. The position was for an in house front-end engineer in Salt Lake City. It would not have been a negative experience if the rules of the coding test were given up front. The recruiter also seemed way more excited than the next interview. The recruiter also did not properly explain how the code interview worked.

Interview Questions
  • Q: Find the average length of a review and sort interviews by those closest to the average.
    2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA) in May 2018

Interview

Phone interview with one of their front end engineers who explained more about the company and then asked one sorting algorithm question and one vertical center css question, both via HackerRank/CodePair.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA) in Sep 2017

Interview

Applied through a referral from a friend. Started with a recruiter screen, then went to a 1 hour technical interview over the phone, and ended with an all day interview onsite. Overall the interview was very practical and mostly involved building things in Javascript, HTML, and CSS. There were more CSS questions than I expected, so make sure you're comfortable positioning items and building layouts under time constraints and while being watched by an interviewer.

Interview Questions
  • Build a layout/series of components using HTML/CSS
  • Object-oriented design fundamentals in javascript. Testing is a big plus.

Thumbtack

Application

I interviewed at Thumbtack

Interview

I was told there wouldn't be any algorithm problems in the phone interview, but lo and behold there were. I didn't practice for them, so I didn't do well on the algorithm problem.

Interview Questions
  • Be familiar with all of the built-in Javascript functions and sorting

Thumbtack

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Thumbtack

Interview

I applied online, was contacted by an internal recruiter and had a 30 minute conversation. We set up a technical interview with a hiring manager for a few days later. I had a phone call with the manager, was given a homework assignment, submitted, then heard a few days later they were going another direction.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA) in Sep 2015

Interview

The recruiter sent me email on Linkedin.com. I had an phone screen with the recruter, and he sent me a link of a code challenge. I submitted the code, and got a feedback from the dev team and basically told me I am not a good fit. Most of the feedback are fair and objective; however, one of them just got my nerve. The exact wording is "HTML is a DIV wonderland". Maybe I am too sensitive but I do feel some laughter when the guy/gal wrote that comment. Also, if you really desperate to get a job from Thumbtack, you better spend 4 to 6 hours to get your code perfectly written because they will pick on every detail from your code. And remember even though you spend 3, 4, or 6 hours on the code challenge, it doesn't mean that they will give you a ticket for another phone or onsite interview. So if you don't want to accept the fact that you might waste 4 or 6 hours on writing the code without getting an onsite interview, forget about this position. Go spend the time on hunting another one. BTW, I feel that the recruiter could be more responsive on replying email. In some instances, I never got a confirmation email or reply from him. Hey, in conclusion, the company is not a good fit for me!

6 people found this interview helpful