Thumbtack Software Engineer(Internship) Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Find jobs for Software Engineer(Internship)

Thumbtack Software Engineer(Internship) Interview Questions

Interviews at Thumbtack

3.1

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

There were total of 3 rounds, first was a hacker rank, then a 1 hour phone call and finally on site interview.
The onsite interview was two 1 hour long interviews.

Interview Questions

• I don't remember exactly but for onsite I had to write a tree traversal algorithm and also create the class for nodes and write a test case as well.   Answer Question

Jan 30, 2020 – Social Media Support Manager

We're so happy to hear you had a positive experience interviewing with us. We really appreciate you taking the time to post this overview. Congrats on getting the offer! We're excited to have you on the team. :)

Other Interview Reviews for Thumbtack

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Interview

There are 4 rounds for the summer interns. 1. phone screening from the hr, go over the resume and introduce the internship program; 2. online assessment that takes about 1 hour on a problem related to the company's work; 3. phone technical interview that takes about one hour, one coding question; 4. on-site interview (final round).

Interview Questions

Thumbtack Response

Nov 18, 2019 – Social Media Support Manager

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave these comments about the interview process. We're glad your experience was positive, and it truly helps us to receive any sort of feedback. We wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors.

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA) in October 2019.

Interview

Coding Challenge -> Phone Interview -> Final Round On-site

The recruiting team was excellent in response time as well as coordinating schedules. The final round had more company specific questions that were interesting in that they gave me a deeper insight into possible algorithms used in their product itself. They were very quick to send me an update after each section of the interview process.

Interview Questions

• Q: K Largest Values, Print all Amicable Pairs   1 Answer

Apr 13, 2020 – Social Media Support Manager

It sounds like you had a pretty great experience. We're so happy to hear that! Thanks for taking the time to leave this overview, and welcome to the team. :)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA) in September 2019.

Interview

1 Hackerrank, 1 Phone Interview, Onsite (2 one hour technicals) - overall had a great experience - everyone was super friendly and nice! Recruiting process was relatively quick! Had a great experience overall.

Interview Questions

• Phone Screen was LeetCode hard. Onsite was not LeetCodes, they were real-world SWE questions specific to Thumbtack - super interesting questions!   Answer Question

Oct 22, 2019 – Social Media Support Manager

Wow! Our favorite words to describe any sort of interview. Thanks for coming out and interviewing :)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Thumbtack (Berkeley, CA) in December 2018.

Interview

The interview process consisted of one online code challenge on CodeSignal, two phone interviews, and a final on-site interview. What set this process apart from other processes I've experienced was how the subject matter of the questions (especially on the online code challenge) were in some way relevant to what Thumbtack does.

Interview Questions

• Implement a calendar data structure in a programming language of your choice that can store events and query events by whether an event is active at a given time.   Answer Question

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Thumbtack in December 2018.

Interview

They replied pretty fast. They sent me a coding challenge on Codesignals. There were 3 questions in 2 hours, all of them relates to graphs. The questions were really hard and pretty long.

Interview Questions

• In Thumbtack, users are able to rate Pros based on their experience working with them. Each rating is an integer ranging from 1 to 5, and all ratings are averaged to produce a single number rating for any given Pro. Those Pros who have a rating lower than a specified threshold are manually reviewed by Thumbtack staff to ensure high quality of service.

You're given a list of ratings for some Pros. Find out which Pros should be manually reviewed.   Answer Question

Feb 6, 2019 – Social Media Support Manager

Thanks for sharing your experience regarding the interview process. We’re sorry to hear that your time with us was not positive. We strive for a strong candidate experience where each candidate feels engaged, respected, and delighted. We are always working to further strengthen our current interview process. We’ll be sure to pass this feedback along to the appropriate team.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

The process was really quick. There was a coding challenge, 2 technical phone interview screen, and an on-site. This process was one of the most enjoyable interview process I have gone through. Enjoyed talking with the engineers both on-site and via call.

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Thumbtack in September 2017.

Interview

Applied online through their website and got an email asking me to take a Hacker Rank challenge about a week later with a semi-personalized email from a recruiter. The Hacker Rank wasn't that tricky (implement a very basic key-value database with rollback support). They gave two weeks to do the Hacker Rank, but stated the expectation was that I would finish it within 2-3 hours (which I did). A few days after I submitted, they sent denied me over email.

As far as I'm aware, I met all of the stated runtime complexity requirements. I passed all of the provided test cases and I also did some manual testing to ensure correctness. So, I'm confused as to why I got rejected.

Interview Questions

• Create a key-value database that supports transactions and rollbacks.   Answer Question

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Thumbtack in September 2017.

Interview

Applied online, was given a code challenge for round 1. Hard but doable with the amount of time given. Moved on to the next round which was a technical phone interview. I provided two approaches but I couldn't figure out how to deal with edge cases. Interviewer was unhelpful and uninterested. Seemed like he was reading off a prompt. The rejection letter received was rude and unhelpful.

Interview Questions

• Create an in-memory database similar to Redis   Answer Question
    • Find the nearest palindrome for a given integer   2 Answers

Oct 30, 2017 – Social Media Support Manager

Thanks for sharing your experience regarding the interview process. We’re sorry to hear that your time with us was not positive. We strive for a strong candidate experience where each candidate feels engaged, respected, and delighted. We’ll be sure to pass this feedback along to the appropriate team.