Thumbtack Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Thumbtack

3.1

Sort:

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

An initial phone talk followed by a take home assignment. Feedback came in a couple of working days, said there were failed test cases, and the process stopped here. Although claiming only care about smartness, and not care about programming language etc., the take home exam can hardly embody such principles. The recruiter is nice though.

Interview Questions

• Take home assignment on a small project. Claims taking 30-90 minutes, but could be much longer. They actually might expect candidates to spend quite some time on it, to pass all corner test cases.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA) in April 2016.

Interview

I applied online and scheduled a call with a recruiter a few days later. Standard recruiting call, giving me an overview of the company, a bit about the role, and information on next steps. Next steps were a coding challenge that's available on their website. I was asked to complete it within a week and submit. I was busy with other interviews, so it took me a couple of days to get to it. I submitted the challenge with the link I was provided by the recruiter, and never heard from them again.

Overall this is probably the laziest way of hiring I have ever seen.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Thumbtack.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter and scheduled an initial phone conversation. It went well, so I was presented with a coding assignment to complete and submit online. I posted a solution and it was well received, so I moved on to the next step, which was a technical screen via phone.

This is where things went sideways. I was asked to solve a relatively straightforward problem while the interviewer looked on, but being way out of practice at time-constrained coding, I failed. A few days later I received a polite rejection email. It was disheartening, but I can't really fault Thumbtack.

I would recommend that you prepare for the technical interview process before interviewing with Thumbtack. Brush up on algorithms, and practice belting out code quickly in your chosen language. You might be sharp and accomplished, but you have to be able to make a positive impression within 45 minutes.

Interview Questions

• Q: Can you solve this coding problem? It's pretty basic.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Thumbtack.

Interview

Spoke with the recruiter who gave me a good overview of the process and company. Was given a take home problem. After a couple days after submission was scheduled for a phone screen. Phone screen was questions on my projects and then coding online. The problem was a basic algorithm problem with a space constraint. I struggled through it so didn't make it to the next step. Recruiter and interviewer were really professional and nice throughout the process.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stanford, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Thumbtack (Stanford, CA) in September 2015.

Interview

Met a representative at a campus career fair, and received an email two weeks later saying they wanted to bring me in for an on-site interview on campus. The recruiter who scheduled it was there with the interviewer. My interviewer asked one behavioral question and jumped right into the technical question. The interview took 45 minutes total.

Interview Questions

• -Tell me a little about one major project on your resume.
      -Given a mathematical problem represented as a string in reverse polish notation, return the result (the interviewer explained that in reverse polish notation, 6 + 9/3 - 2 would be represented as "6 9 3 / + 2 -", where the operand immediately follows the elements needed for the calculation).   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA) in October 2015.

Interview

Submitted my resume through my campus career center. I was contacted about two weeks later by a recruiter with an interview slot on campus. When I walk in the room, the first thing my interviewer does is give me a coding problem that's described on a sheet of paper. He tells me to read it and solve it on the whiteboard. I'm surprised by this because there's usually a bit of introduction and behavioral questions at the start.

I take a couple minutes to read it and jot down some notes, then start drawing some examples on the whiteboard and talk through different approaches. As I'm talking, he doesn't really look up from the computer and it doesn't really seem like he's listening. I start to get annoyed by this but I keep talking and start coding. I ended up running out of time at the end but if I had about 3 more minutes I would have finished. I get a rejection email a few days later.

Overall I'm very disappointed by the process. I heard that Thumbtack was a fun place to work with a great culture, but it seems like during the interview the only thing they cared about was whether I could code and solve the problem. They didn't seem like they wanted to get to know me at all, and the interviewer was very cold during the entire process. The recruiter was very friendly though, but based on my experience during this interview Thumbtack doesn't seem like somewhere I'd want to work.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA) in October 2015.

Interview

Had a face-to-face interview on campus a few days after handing in my CV in the job fair. The interviewer was super nice and helpful in the interview process. Then went to an onsite. Co-founder gave a general talk for about 15 minutes, followed by 6 interviews (4 technical + 2 general + 1 lunch). Technical ones were almost the typical questions online. But I did not work well... Some of the interviewers were very nice and helpful when I struggled. But some were not nice at all. But they do care about your previous experience (projects). They did not follow the schedule strictly. In general, the interview process is very tough but I learned a lot, especially the nice culture of the company.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Thumbtack in February 2016.

Interview

Someone who was not a member reached out to tell me about Thumbtack and ask if would be interested in interviewing for an engineering position. After that conversation he forwarded my info on to the recruiting team. At this point things went downhill. First I got an automated rejection email saying I was not a good fit for the position. After that a recruiter reached out saying they made a mistake and asked if I would still like to setup a time to talk. I setup a time to talk and the recruiter never reached out to me. I followed up several times and never heard back from anyone.

Interview Questions

• In our first conversation they asked general info about my background and experience.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA) in January 2016.

Interview

No interview process at all. They are giving a home task. A really bad impression. Giving a home task is considered normally unprofessional and applied only in case of some kind of interns if the company wants to know if they can even code. Or a home task applies to a software engineer who has mixed impression from a team interview.

Neither of this applies to this company. I had an impression they just want you to use their web-site as an app. Or write a task for them, so you give them some ideas.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Thumbtack in September 2015.

Interview

Was contacted by an in-house recruiter on LinkedIn. Was given a link to their website which was describing a problem that I should solve at my own pace. You can send an email to the recruiter if you have questions about the problem. They relay it to their developers and get back to you with their answer.

Interview Questions

• It's a problem that they give to everyone. Design an in-memory database. The problem is described on their website and can be accessed through a link that they provide.   1 Answer