Thumbtack Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Thumbtack

3.1

Sort:

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA) in December 2015.

Interview

Applied online. Contacted by recruiter and was sent a coding challenge. Finished it quickly and sent it back. Got a reject after a week. I asked for what are the grounds on rejection, the recruiter said that feedback will not be given. Total waste of time. Don't recommend interviewing here.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA) in November 2018.

Interview

Started off with an online coding challenge, which then led to two separate hour-long technical phone interviews. After passing both of those, I was invited to an on-site, which consisted of 4 hour-long coding sessions and lunch with an engineer. Note that in each coding session, both in-person and over the phone, they expect your code to compile and run by the end.

Everyone I met was super nice and passionate about the product, and the interview process was one of the smoothest I've been a part of. Although Thumbtack seemed like a great place to work, I ended up accepting a competing offer.

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Phone interview and typical onsite. Everyone at the company was nice. But they asked questions that were harder than we used to ask when I worked at Google. You are building a goddamn lead generation service for Maids for christ's sake!

Interview Questions

• Algorithms, design, some rule derivation system that even they didn't know what it should do   Answer Question

Oct 15, 2018 – Social Media Support Manager

Since we want the best for the customers and professionals who use our site, we have high standards for our employees. This being said, we take feedback seriously and will make sure this experience... More

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA) in July 2018.

Interview

Had a quick call with recruiter, setting up a phone screen with a manager. Th phone screen is not for coding, it's about previous work/project experience and some technical discussion. Based on the phone screen feedback, they decide to invite me to an onsite interview.

The onsite interview is pretty typical, system design/live coding project/algorithm and lunch.

They gave feedback really quick. (in about 3-4 days)

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA) in March 2018.

Interview

One phone screen with a recruiter, one technical phone interview, and one onsite interview consisting of 3 coding questions and 1 systems design question. I appreciated that questions stemmed from real-world problems, and interviewers were collaborative as opposed to scrutinizing.

Interview Questions

• Coding questions included a graph problem, OOP design, and algorithmic array problem.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Thumbtack in October 2017.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter a year prior to interviewing but I had already accepted an internship at the time. I reached out to that same recruiter this round and was given a coding challenge. The coding challenge was a hacker rank that you had a week to complete. The problem was interesting and pretty fun to work on. The lack of time pressure allowed me to do it leisurely and use best practices without a huge time pressure.

After submitting, I was quickly brought onsite and went through 4 1:1 screens. These screens are different than other experiences Ive had because rather than whiteboarding, you work through a problem and then are expected to implement and RUN it in a coderpad-like environment. This was a bit stressful but overall, I thought it was a fun experience with interesting, relevant problems.

The employees were passionate and bright. Everyone I spoke to was friendly and I generally enjoyable day. The company seemed to be growing fast with ambitious goals.

I decided to accept the offer based professional growth opportunity, mentorship and senior engineers and culture

Interview Questions

Thumbtack Response

Mar 13, 2018 – Social Media Support Manager

Glad to have you on board. We’re growing fast and solving big problems, we’re excited to see what skills you can bring to the table!

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA) in October 2017.

Interview

After 2 phone interviews, I got an invitation to onsite interview. Thumbtack just helped me set up everything - round trip tickets, hotels and lunch with employee at Thumbtack. It's a delightful interview experience.

Interview Questions

• There are multiple services in Thumbtack. Some services couldn't be triggered until service or service(s) existed. Given an arrangement of services, write down code to check if it's legal. For example, if service C must came after service A&B, then A ->C ->B is not a legal, while A ->B ->C or B ->A ->C is legal.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA) in April 2018.

Interview

Started with a quick recruiter chat. Afterwards, there was a technical phone screen with an engineer, and after that, an onsite interview at the Thumbtack SF office with 4 technical interviews. Recruiters were very prompt and helpful. Overall, the interview process was incredibly smooth.

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA) in February 2018.

Interview

I was well informed about what to expect at each interview step. Also, after each step I got detailed feedback about what was good and what needs improvement. My recruiter was super helpful and whenever I reach out for questions, she's happy to answer. Overall experience was the best among all the interviews I've had.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA) in July 2018.

Interview

Recruiter call
    Telephonic
    4 onsite rounds

Most of the people I met and interviewed were nice except for the hiring manager. He was rude and very arrogant, he wouldn't let me complete the code. I wrote and then obviously wrote negative feedback. He left only 30 mins for a big coding problem and kept rushing me so I either ended up missing a few details or not clarifying as much requirements as I would have given that he had given me sane amount of time to actually formulate the problem.

Interview Questions

• Describe projects, coding questions and system design.   1 Answer

Jul 25, 2018 – Social Media Support Manager

Thanks for sharing your experience regarding the interview process. We strive for a strong candidate experience where each candidate feels engaged, respected, and delighted. We’ll be sure to pass... More