Thumbtack Product Designer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Thumbtack Product Designer Interview Questions

Interviews at Thumbtack

3.2

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The interview process consisted of a recruiter screen call, a portfolio review over video, and then an on-site interview in San Francisco. The on-site interview started with a portfolio presentation and then consisted of a number of 1:1s including an app critique.

Interview Questions

• Explain a time when there was a disagreement within the team on the approach of a project you were working on.   Answer Question

Mar 9, 2020 – Social Media Support Manager

We really appreciate you taking the time to rate your experience and leave this overview. It helps to make us better! We wish we could have given you a more positive experience, so please let us know if you have any additional feedback.

Other Interview Reviews for Thumbtack

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

The worst recruitment team I have ever worked with is Thumbtack. They don’t respect the candidates’ time and effort. They just look for something cheap and easy. Run away from them if you expect a fair treatment in the interview process.

I changed my flight ticket in order to make to their onsite. After the final onsite, they gave me a four weeks long radio silence, while I had four other offers that required me to respond soon (and I informed them already.) In the end, they sent me a short and cold “no, thanks” email and that is it. Facebook recruiter told me that “Thumbtack will never get the top talents if this is how they treat candidates.”

They are also very slow regarding the reimbursement. I haven’t received any updates after weeks. Let’s see if I will ever get the taxi rides reimbursed.

Interview Questions

Thumbtack Response

Nov 26, 2019 – Social Media Support Manager

We're so sorry to hear about your experience. This is never the impression we want to leave on potential candidates, and we truly do value your time. We appreciate you taking the time to let us know where we can improve, and your feedback will be sent over to the appropriate teams. Thanks again for taking the time to meet with us, and we wish you all the best in your future career!

Product Designer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Thumbtack.

Interview

I was reached out to on LinkedIn by a recruiter at Thumbtack. We had gone back and forth about 5 times and were in the midst of coordinating the first phone screen and the recruiter completely stopped communicating to me. I reached back out multiple times and I received no response or explanation.

Feb 5, 2019 – Talent Operations Manager

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback -- and on behalf of the entire recruiting team, we want to apologize that this happened. We pride ourselves on delivering an outstanding candidate experience and would love to get to the bottom of this. Please feel free to reach out to recruiting@thumbtack.com and we will personally follow up.

Product Designer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Thumbtack in January 2019.

Interview

30-minute portfolio review through video call. 15-20 min to walk through 1 recent project that shows my design process and preferably work with a real company (while the interviewer might ask questions), and the rest of the time for a chance for me to ask questions.

Interview Questions

Thumbtack Response

Mar 9, 2020 – Social Media Support Manager

We appreciate your time and effort in interviewing for the Product Designer position. We're so glad you'd rate it a positive experience, and wish you all the best in your future career. :)

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA) in May 2018.

Interview

I came onsite twice. First time was for a 1:1 with a Design manager and a quick portfolio review. Second onsite was a presentation to a number of design managers and personnel, PMs and engineers, followed by a design exercise, app critique and additional 1 on 1s.

Interview Questions

• They were mainly concerned with how I approached problem solving and how I have solved problems in the past with my designs.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA) in May 2018.

Interview

The interview process was one of the most professional I have ever experienced. I visited onsite at Thumbtack twice, both for presentations of my portfolio to different team members. Following presentations, I had a design exercise, app critique and numerous 1 on 1's with PM's, Design managers, engineers, etc. Holistic and thorough interview process

Interview Questions

• They were most concerned about my thought process and methodologies of how I go about solving problems.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA) in January 2018.

Interview

The process was very straightforward and short, including a recruiter screen, hiring manager work review (onsite), and half day onsite consisting of a presentation, app critique, whiteboarding session, and lunch. The team was very welcoming and the office is pretty awesome.

Application

Interview

Phone interview with recruiter -> 1:1 interview with a design manager -> 4-hour onsite interview (portfolio presentation, whiteboard challenge, several 1:1 w/ designers) -> Offer

The whole interview process was very efficient and well organized. I really enjoyed the conversation with the interviewers and felt people at Thumbtack are truly passionate about what they are doing. I accepted the offer over other three offers I got not only because of the product itself, more importantly, the people and the work culture as well.

Interview Questions

• Many questions about the thinking processes behind each design decision   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA) in June 2017.

Interview

It consisted of an in-person coffee chat with one of the design managers, and then a half-day onsite interview. The onsite consisted of a portfolio review, portfolio deep dive, two design challenges, and a couple 1:1 interviews with the executive team. There was no take-home assignment. Everyone was knowledgeable and professional, and genuinely curious about my work.

Sep 25, 2017 – Social Media Support Manager

Coffee chats are the best. Welcome to the team.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA) in December 2016.

Interview

I received an email for an interview back in December. I was really excited and prepped for days since it was my first product design interview. On the day of my interview, the recruiter did not ask me about anything on portfolio! I even asked her if she wanted to go over my portfolio. She plainly said no that she didn't need to. She also said she would contact me the next day to let me know if I advanced to the next round. The next day came and no email. A few weeks passed and I sent a follow-up email. No response. A month passed. No response. I gave up and was frustrated at how unprofessional the recruiter had been. I was excited to join Thumbtack but the recruiter has given me a bad impression of Thumbtack's hiring process. Thumbtack do better and don't leave candidates in the dark. It's rude and unprofessional!