Thumbtack Product Designer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Thumbtack Product Designer Interview Questions

Interviews at Thumbtack

3.3

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA) in June 2017.

Interview

It consisted of an in-person coffee chat with one of the design managers, and then a half-day onsite interview. The onsite consisted of a portfolio review, portfolio deep dive, two design challenges, and a couple 1:1 interviews with the executive team. There was no take-home assignment. Everyone was knowledgeable and professional, and genuinely curious about my work.

Thumbtack Response

Sep 25, 2017 – Social Media Support Manager

Coffee chats are the best. Welcome to the team.

Other Interview Reviews for Thumbtack

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA) in December 2016.

Interview

I received an email for an interview back in December. I was really excited and prepped for days since it was my first product design interview. On the day of my interview, the recruiter did not ask me about anything on portfolio! I even asked her if she wanted to go over my portfolio. She plainly said no that she didn't need to. She also said she would contact me the next day to let me know if I advanced to the next round. The next day came and no email. A few weeks passed and I sent a follow-up email. No response. A month passed. No response. I gave up and was frustrated at how unprofessional the recruiter had been. I was excited to join Thumbtack but the recruiter has given me a bad impression of Thumbtack's hiring process. Thumbtack do better and don't leave candidates in the dark. It's rude and unprofessional!

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA) in May 2018.

Interview

I came onsite twice. First time was for a 1:1 with a Design manager and a quick portfolio review. Second onsite was a presentation to a number of design managers and personnel, PMs and engineers, followed by a design exercise, app critique and additional 1 on 1s.

Interview Questions

• They were mainly concerned with how I approached problem solving and how I have solved problems in the past with my designs.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA) in May 2018.

Interview

The interview process was one of the most professional I have ever experienced. I visited onsite at Thumbtack twice, both for presentations of my portfolio to different team members. Following presentations, I had a design exercise, app critique and numerous 1 on 1's with PM's, Design managers, engineers, etc. Holistic and thorough interview process

Interview Questions

• They were most concerned about my thought process and methodologies of how I go about solving problems.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA) in January 2018.

Interview

Phone interview with recruiter -> 1:1 interview with a design manager -> 4-hour onsite interview (portfolio presentation, whiteboard challenge, several 1:1 w/ designers) -> Offer

The whole interview process was very efficient and well organized. I really enjoyed the conversation with the interviewers and felt people at Thumbtack are truly passionate about what they are doing. I accepted the offer over other three offers I got not only because of the product itself, more importantly, the people and the work culture as well.

Interview Questions

• Many questions about the thinking processes behind each design decision   Answer Question

Application

Interview

The process was very straightforward and short, including a recruiter screen, hiring manager work review (onsite), and half day onsite consisting of a presentation, app critique, whiteboarding session, and lunch. The team was very welcoming and the office is pretty awesome.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

Exercise. Meet CEO. Exercise. Present to group. 1:1 interview.

A few of the interviewers were very confrontational and arrogant. Exercises had to do with understanding their problems, which are very dry and small-minded.

Felt like designers were interviewed same as engineers. Recruiters were pleasant and authentic. The receptionist was sweet.

Product Designer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Thumbtack.

Interview

I was reached out to on LinkedIn by a recruiter at Thumbtack. We had gone back and forth about 5 times and were in the midst of coordinating the first phone screen and the recruiter completely stopped communicating to me. I reached back out multiple times and I received no response or explanation.

Thumbtack Response

Feb 5, 2019 – Talent Operations Manager

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback -- and on behalf of the entire recruiting team, we want to apologize that this happened. We pride ourselves on delivering an outstanding... More