Thumbtack Product Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Thumbtack Product Manager Interview Questions

Interviews at Thumbtack

2.9

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

I'm very disappointed with this interview process and wish I had given enough attention to the glassdoor reviews here that Thumbtack is conducting phony interviews to gather market knowledge and insights from candidates. Here's my experience:

1. Got a phone call from the hiring manager and we discussed details about the role. Given some of the negative reviews I read on GD, I was very specific about how I could fit into the role and whether my previous experience was relevant to them. But the hiring manager seemed very knowledgeable and nice, so I didn't see any "warning" sign.

2. I was given a home assignment to develop a strategy and research on a product feature that the team was planning to release soon. I spent the entire weekend working on this - a little hesitant about giving so much information, but still went to their office with a full deck presentation to a panel of 5 people at Thumbtack. The presentation went well. Some of the people in there just took notes and never asked me any question. The product director was friendly and gave me positive feedback. We discussed in details how I'd implement these feature changes and how I'd market them to the users. I answered very detail questions on how to improve their product, which tools I'd use. Left the meeting feeling great given the positive feedback and encouragement from the team.

3. A week later got an email saying that the team has discussed the role and no longer seems to be in need of it. They thought I was great and thank me for the presentation. I was really sad. This is not ETHICAL. Please, I've watching this trend grow of startups/small business gathering data from their OWN candidates. This has to stop!

Interview Questions

• 1. Give me a detail analysis of how you would implement these features and how you would market these new changes to current users.
    2. What needs improvement in the product.
    3. What kind of tools did you use in the past that helped you collect data, feedback from users? Which ones were the best? Which ones you wouldn't recommend?
    4. How would you improve conversions on (specific page) on the product? What kind of tools would you use?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Thumbtack

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA) in September 2016.

Interview

There was no phone screen during my candidacy. My first interview was an onsite skills assessment with members of the Product team. It consisted of two separate interviews: 1 for assessing analytical skills. 1 for assessing product sensibility. Pretty common stuff. I was not provided additional context outside of that. I'd come in prepared to talk about their company and products since they are rife with product issues and development opportunities based on who they have defined as their customer. Yet, the exercises involved scenarios about other companies, some related to their business and others seemingly unrelated. At one point, I wanted to stop to instruct them on the things that they should really be looking for in a candidate within the context of their business (which is e-commerce and demand generation). Instead, I followed their lead, conceding that it was not going to be a fit.

The interviewers are smart and engaging, but I got the sense that they don't really know what they are looking for in candidates. It seemed as though the team picked up a few product management interviewing books (which borrows practices from places like Facebook and Google) and cherry picked some exercises versus tailoring questions to their business needs. If the questions were in fact related to their business, then they really dropped the ball in providing context given that all visitors are required to sign an NDA. I get the feeling that they may change this approach. If not, then that's really unfortunate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

The interview process spanned over a month and included a preliminary call with the recruiter, followed by a phone screen with the Hiring Manager. Then I met in-person with the VP of Product, after which I was brought onsite for a full round of interviews, which was an all day affair (10am-5pm). It included a presentation + Q&A followed by interviews with 4 PM's, VP of Product, Design, Engineering as well as 1:1 time with one of the co-founders.

Although the interview process felt lengthy, I enjoyed talking to the broader team and learning about the company and the PM culture at Thumbtack. The interviewers were friendly and kept you at ease through the interview process. Most of the interviews were design/case based (which I personally prefer) and some even involved problems that the Thumbtack team is dealing with. Each of the PM interviews focused on an area of competency (e.g. Analytics, Technical Skills, Strategic thinking etc.) and the interviewers would often pivot to test the depth of your thought process.

Although the process took the entire day, it gave me an opportunity to meet with a fairly diverse group and get a good sense of what it's like to be a PM at Thumbtack.

Interview Questions

• Most of the design questions were broad, and the onus is on the candidate to define boundaries and clarify the scope of the question.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA) in February 2018.

Interview

Best Interview process I've ever been a part of. The process was long, but the team does a great job of assigning you an internal champion who truly wants you to succeed.

My recruiter prepped me with a detailed list of everything I'd need for each interview, and was proactive in answering any questions. I had her personal cell number and she helped me with everything from first contact to finding a neighborhood to live in.

The questions were non-technical but very thorough, including an all-day onsite with a product presentation. Very Google-y

Interview Questions

• Assume Airbnb is supply-constrained, how would you unlock additional supply?   Answer Question
    • Look at {this website}, based on their offering & site, how would you improve their growth?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA) in August 2018.

Interview

1. Screening call with the recruiter
    2. First phone call with one of the PMs
    3. Video call with one of the PMs

The first phone call with one of the PMs was great. We talked about my past experience, past projects, my product sense and execution style. He came across as a really smart person who is very excited to be part of Thumbtack and his excitement rubbed off on me.

The second call was a video call. I didn't enjoy this call for three reasons:
    1. He came across as a very impatient person and kept jumping on next question before letting me finish one.
    2. He came across as someone who was looking for very specific answers. In the world where we talk about having a growth mindset and being inclusive, I was very surprised to observe this behavior.
    3. The final nail in the coffin was when he started yawning not one but multiple times and didn't even apologize for that. I can understand someone having a long day, but hey - I was the one who was 3 hours ahead of this time zone. To me it was more being disrectful than not interested.

The recruiter has been very supportive throughout the process.

Suggestion - Please treat interviewers as people and not commodities.

Interview Questions

Thumbtack Response

Sep 10, 2018 – Social Media Support Manager

We are always working to improve our interview process and receiving feedback like this is essential as it helps strengthen our current process. Thank you for taking the time to give us specific... More

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA) in May 2018.

Interview

I spent ~6 months interviewing at ~25 different companies and this was the best experience I had. I loved that I could come onsite for my first conversation. It really helped me connect with the interviewer while getting a sense of the energy in the office. I was then able to meet an executive that helped me understand the history of the business and get excited about what is to come. My full day onsite was challenging and fun due to the quality of the prompts and their interactive nature—it's really important to get a sense of how you will work with people and these sessions did just that. I also really enjoyed that I had an opportunity to present to the group about a project I was proud of. Another highlight was my time spend with a co-founder—super interesting conversation and felt like they really put in a lot of effort to give me exposure. The recruiter I was working with at Thumbtack was beyond helpful throughout the entire process. She set expectations appropriately, made herself available at a moment's notice and was an overall advocate for me the entire time. She also had deep knowledge on the business which made for exciting in between conversations. Above all, the people really went out of their way to make you feel comfortable and excited about the opportunity—a real testament to the values and culture of the company.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a project that you are proud of and how did it all come together?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA) in April 2018.

Interview

The interview process was pretty straightforward but packed. It started off with a 1:1 with the product VP and phone screen, which was mostly about my past experience and resume. Afterwards, there was a 1-day onsite in which there were questions about product skills, behavioral skills, and analytical questions, along with a presentation that tested my public speaking skills. Within a few days, I knew that I had an offer, and they brought me in to do a final round of chatting with folks and going over the offer letter!

Overall, super smooth process (shout out to the awesome recruiters), and folks were always willing to accommodate my scheduling needs.

Interview Questions

• Q: Predict five trends for the credit card industry   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA) in January 2019.

Interview

1) Apply on website
    2) Phone screen w/ recruiter
    3) Phone screen w/ current PM
    4) In-person w/ current PM
    Not sure what comes after that. Assignment + in-person on site interview is my guess.

Interview Questions

• What's your favorite product? What would you do to grow it?   Answer Question

Thumbtack Response

Feb 13, 2019 – Social Media Support Manager

Thanks for sharing your experience regarding the interview process. We strive for a strong candidate experience, but we are always working to further strengthen our current interview process. Your... More

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA) in November 2018.

Interview

I had a super positive interview experience with Thumbtack - I felt taken care of at every step of the way. I met with a wide array of team members, each of whom tested different skills. It seemed well organized. Overall everyone I interacted with was both friendly and professional. The only downside was the lengthy interview process, but that was due to scheduling difficulties on both my part and Thumbtack's. I would highly recommend interviewing here.

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA) in December 2018.

Interview

The interview process was incredibly smooth. Before the interview the recruiter and hiring manager spent a lot of time answering my questions and making sure this matched what I was looking for.
    The onsite interview lasted almost the whole day which was a bit long, although I believe they have trimmed it down now. It started with a presentation, then 1:1s assessing Analytics, Product sense, Leadership skills, and cross-functional partner relationship.
    All the people I talked to seemed incredibly smart yet caring.
    Even once Thumbtack had extended me an offer, they were very supportive in giving me all the information, time & honesty I needed to make sure this was the right fit for what I was looking for. A refreshing change from all the "hard selling" I had experienced with other companies.