Thumbtack Product Manager Interview Questions

Updated Sep 29, 2020

To filter interviews, or .
Found 18 of over 342 interviews

Employee Referral24%
3.1
HardAverageEasy

Thumbtack

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Thumbtack

Interview

Overall had a great recruitment process. Gianni the recruiter was a rockstar, very communicative every step of the way. Each person I interviewed with was engaging and respectful (although some interviews took up the full 45 minute slot and I wasn't able to ask questions to the interviewer). The process entailed: - Phone Screen - Two 45 minute interviews covering analytical and product abilities - A digital onsite covering a presentation, leadership, and product abilities.

Interview Questions
  • Standard "Build a X" PM question
    1 Answer

Thumbtack

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Thumbtack

Interview

Terrible communication. Recruiter reached out to me to schedule a time to chat. At our scheduled time, she never calls. I reach out to ask if she needed to reschedule and she notes her error and says yes. A few days later, I receive a message from her saying thanks for taking the time to chat but we are not moving forward... we never chatted! I reach out again about this and she notes her error. At our next scheduled time to chat, she again never calls. She then, without emailing me, proposes a new time for us to chat via Google Calendar. At this point I prefer to decline the invite.

Interview Questions
1 person found this interview helpful

Thumbtack

Application

I applied through an employee referral I interviewed at Thumbtack in Sep 2020

Interview

The interview process was extremely streamlined and the team worked like a well-oiled machine. My recruiter, Gianni was an absolute beast in terms of setting expectations, providing insights, and promptly responding even while she was on vacation. Lastly, Gianni hopped on a call during a busy workday to provide feedback to help bolster your interview strategy. The team goes above and beyond to ensure you're taken care of as a candidate which reflects their values as a company towards customers, suppliers, and partners. If you want to be on the Avengers team, consider Thumbtack.

Interview Questions
  • Your Journey Product sense: Birthday app Data: Revenue analysis

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA) in Jul 2020

Interview

The recruiter (Gianni) was excellent and provided one of the best hiring experiences I've ever had. Process involved written communication with the recruiter followed by a phone screen and then back to back 45 min interviews focusing on product sense and analytics separately with different product managers. Was told at the onset of the process that the final step would have been a case study involving my own past work. Everything was done remotely due to shelter in place from the covid pandemic.

Interview Questions
  • Product sens - design a birthday app.
  • Analytics - you come in Monday and see on your dashboard that revenue is down at Thumbtack, how do you go about finding out why?

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA) in Jul 2020

Interview

Despite not being given an offer, I enjoyed the interview process. The people are nice, and the culture is driven. Particular shoutout to how good the recruiters are too. Recruiter gave great constructive post-interview feedback.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA)

Interview

TLDR: I was ghosted by the recruitment team after the recruiter screen and two back to back interviews. Recruiter had reached out to me initially on LinkedIn. Haven’t heard since the past ~3 weeks. In these difficult times, interviewing is even harder given everyone’s operating with a deadline (impending layoffs). It has been a tough past couple of months, and I understand recruiters are busy but simple communication goes a long way. I was approached on LinkedIn by a Thumbtack recruiter, and I personally thought highly of their product team. After the initial screen, I was told that my background is extremely relevant to the role. I was moved to the next stage of the interview process which are two back to back interviews on product sense and leadership. I was super interested in the company and spent a good week preparing specifically for it. After the interviews, I didn’t hear from Thumbtack at all. I did not even pester too much, sent two emails over a two week period to follow up. No response. I then checked the careers page of thumbtack and that role was no longer posted. Either they hired someone else, or it was removed. The basic decency would have been to close the loop. Recruiters need to understand that it is very important to the candidate to get closure. Times are tough, and a simple gesture of saying we are no longer hiring for this role is all it takes. I’m sorry, but this shows the culture of the company. It shows how much it cares about people. As a product person, I can tell how much this would impact the product itself.

Interview Questions
  • Leadership interview and a product case interview. They have three standard cases to pick from: 1) Design an app for the DMV 2) Design a finance app for millennials 3) Design a birthday app

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 week. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA) in Jan 2020

Interview

Recruiter call describing position, leading to an on-site interview of two back-to-back 45 minute sessions. Recruiter went on vacation soon after booking, so was unavailable for support. First interviewer was for product sense, and was nice, collaborative, and respectful. Second interviewer was hiring manager. Standard behavioral questions, but hiring manager walked in with a cold, and appeared annoyed during interview.

Interview Questions
  • Develop an mvp for a dmv app.
  • Why Thumbtack? How do you motivate teams with low moral? What qualities do you think make a perfect Product Manager? How did you handle disagreements with Technology?

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA) in Jun 2019

Interview

Received a call from the recruiter asking to talk about Thumbtack. After sharing my background, she mentioned that I might not have enough seniority for the position. Ultimately did not move on.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA) in Jan 2019

Interview

1) Apply on website 2) Phone screen w/ recruiter 3) Phone screen w/ current PM 4) In-person w/ current PM Not sure what comes after that. Assignment + in-person on site interview is my guess.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA) in Dec 2018

Interview

The interview process was incredibly smooth. Before the interview the recruiter and hiring manager spent a lot of time answering my questions and making sure this matched what I was looking for. The onsite interview lasted almost the whole day which was a bit long, although I believe they have trimmed it down now. It started with a presentation, then 1:1s assessing Analytics, Product sense, Leadership skills, and cross-functional partner relationship. All the people I talked to seemed incredibly smart yet caring. Even once Thumbtack had extended me an offer, they were very supportive in giving me all the information, time & honesty I needed to make sure this was the right fit for what I was looking for. A refreshing change from all the "hard selling" I had experienced with other companies.

Interview Questions
  • How would you grow an online t-shirt business?
2 people found this interview helpful