Thumbtack Product Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Thumbtack Product Manager Interview Questions

Interviews at Thumbtack

2.9

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

TLDR: I was ghosted by the recruitment team after the recruiter screen and two back to back interviews. Recruiter had reached out to me initially on LinkedIn. Haven’t heard since the past ~3 weeks.

In these difficult times, interviewing is even harder given everyone’s operating with a deadline (impending layoffs). It has been a tough past couple of months, and I understand recruiters are busy but simple communication goes a long way.

I was approached on LinkedIn by a Thumbtack recruiter, and I personally thought highly of their product team. After the initial screen, I was told that my background is extremely relevant to the role. I was moved to the next stage of the interview process which are two back to back interviews on product sense and leadership.

I was super interested in the company and spent a good week preparing specifically for it. After the interviews, I didn’t hear from Thumbtack at all. I did not even pester too much, sent two emails over a two week period to follow up. No response.

I then checked the careers page of thumbtack and that role was no longer posted. Either they hired someone else, or it was removed. The basic decency would have been to close the loop. Recruiters need to understand that it is very important to the candidate to get closure. Times are tough, and a simple gesture of saying we are no longer hiring for this role is all it takes.

I’m sorry, but this shows the culture of the company. It shows how much it cares about people. As a product person, I can tell how much this would impact the product itself.

Interview Questions

• Leadership interview and a product case interview. They have three standard cases to pick from:
    1) Design an app for the DMV
    2) Design a finance app for millennials
    3) Design a birthday app   Answer Question

Jun 17, 2020 – Social Media Support Manager

We really appreciate you bringing this to our attention. It's important to us to give each and every candidate a great experience interviewing and we apologize that there was no response. We've reached out to the Team about you and this review specifically. Thanks for giving this transparent feedback as it helps make us a better Team. We appreciate the time and effort you put into our interview process and wish you the very best in your future.

Other Interview Reviews for Thumbtack

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA) in January 2020.

Interview

Recruiter call describing position, leading to an on-site interview of two back-to-back 45 minute sessions. Recruiter went on vacation soon after booking, so was unavailable for support.

First interviewer was for product sense, and was nice, collaborative, and respectful.

Second interviewer was hiring manager. Standard behavioral questions, but hiring manager walked in with a cold, and appeared annoyed during interview.

Interview Questions

• Develop an mvp for a dmv app.   Answer Question
    • Why Thumbtack? How do you motivate teams with low moral? What qualities do you think make a perfect Product Manager? How did you handle disagreements with Technology?   Answer Question

Feb 3, 2020 – Social Media Support Manager

We really appreciate this honest review of your interview experience. It's important to us that all candidates feel welcome throughout the entire process, and we're disappointed this wasn't the case for you. We'll be passing along this feedback to the appropriate team, and wish you the best in your future career.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA) in June 2019.

Interview

Received a call from the recruiter asking to talk about Thumbtack. After sharing my background, she mentioned that I might not have enough seniority for the position. Ultimately did not move on.

Interview Questions

Thumbtack Response

Jun 27, 2019 – Social Media Support Manager

Thank you for letting us know about your interview experience. We are always working to improve our interview process to ensure a strong candidate experience - your feedback is essential for implementing changes to strengthen our current process.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA) in January 2019.

Interview

1) Apply on website
    2) Phone screen w/ recruiter
    3) Phone screen w/ current PM
    4) In-person w/ current PM
    Not sure what comes after that. Assignment + in-person on site interview is my guess.

Interview Questions

• What's your favorite product? What would you do to grow it?   Answer Question

Feb 13, 2019 – Social Media Support Manager

Thanks for sharing your experience regarding the interview process. We strive for a strong candidate experience, but we are always working to further strengthen our current interview process. Your feedback is important, and the team has been notified.

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA) in December 2018.

Interview

The interview process was incredibly smooth. Before the interview the recruiter and hiring manager spent a lot of time answering my questions and making sure this matched what I was looking for.
    The onsite interview lasted almost the whole day which was a bit long, although I believe they have trimmed it down now. It started with a presentation, then 1:1s assessing Analytics, Product sense, Leadership skills, and cross-functional partner relationship.
    All the people I talked to seemed incredibly smart yet caring.
    Even once Thumbtack had extended me an offer, they were very supportive in giving me all the information, time & honesty I needed to make sure this was the right fit for what I was looking for. A refreshing change from all the "hard selling" I had experienced with other companies.

Interview Questions

• How would you grow an online t-shirt business?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA) in November 2018.

Interview

I had a super positive interview experience with Thumbtack - I felt taken care of at every step of the way. I met with a wide array of team members, each of whom tested different skills. It seemed well organized. Overall everyone I interacted with was both friendly and professional. The only downside was the lengthy interview process, but that was due to scheduling difficulties on both my part and Thumbtack's. I would highly recommend interviewing here.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA) in August 2018.

Interview

1. Screening call with the recruiter
    2. First phone call with one of the PMs
    3. Video call with one of the PMs

The first phone call with one of the PMs was great. We talked about my past experience, past projects, my product sense and execution style. He came across as a really smart person who is very excited to be part of Thumbtack and his excitement rubbed off on me.

The second call was a video call. I didn't enjoy this call for three reasons:
    1. He came across as a very impatient person and kept jumping on next question before letting me finish one.
    2. He came across as someone who was looking for very specific answers. In the world where we talk about having a growth mindset and being inclusive, I was very surprised to observe this behavior.
    3. The final nail in the coffin was when he started yawning not one but multiple times and didn't even apologize for that. I can understand someone having a long day, but hey - I was the one who was 3 hours ahead of this time zone. To me it was more being disrectful than not interested.

The recruiter has been very supportive throughout the process.

Suggestion - Please treat interviewers as people and not commodities.

Interview Questions

Thumbtack Response

Sep 10, 2018 – Social Media Support Manager

We are always working to improve our interview process and receiving feedback like this is essential as it helps strengthen our current process. Thank you for taking the time to give us specific details.

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA) in May 2018.

Interview

I spent ~6 months interviewing at ~25 different companies and this was the best experience I had. I loved that I could come onsite for my first conversation. It really helped me connect with the interviewer while getting a sense of the energy in the office. I was then able to meet an executive that helped me understand the history of the business and get excited about what is to come. My full day onsite was challenging and fun due to the quality of the prompts and their interactive nature—it's really important to get a sense of how you will work with people and these sessions did just that. I also really enjoyed that I had an opportunity to present to the group about a project I was proud of. Another highlight was my time spend with a co-founder—super interesting conversation and felt like they really put in a lot of effort to give me exposure. The recruiter I was working with at Thumbtack was beyond helpful throughout the entire process. She set expectations appropriately, made herself available at a moment's notice and was an overall advocate for me the entire time. She also had deep knowledge on the business which made for exciting in between conversations. Above all, the people really went out of their way to make you feel comfortable and excited about the opportunity—a real testament to the values and culture of the company.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a project that you are proud of and how did it all come together?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA) in April 2018.

Interview

The interview process was pretty straightforward but packed. It started off with a 1:1 with the product VP and phone screen, which was mostly about my past experience and resume. Afterwards, there was a 1-day onsite in which there were questions about product skills, behavioral skills, and analytical questions, along with a presentation that tested my public speaking skills. Within a few days, I knew that I had an offer, and they brought me in to do a final round of chatting with folks and going over the offer letter!

Overall, super smooth process (shout out to the awesome recruiters), and folks were always willing to accommodate my scheduling needs.

Interview Questions

• Q: Predict five trends for the credit card industry   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA) in February 2018.

Interview

Best Interview process I've ever been a part of. The process was long, but the team does a great job of assigning you an internal champion who truly wants you to succeed.

My recruiter prepped me with a detailed list of everything I'd need for each interview, and was proactive in answering any questions. I had her personal cell number and she helped me with everything from first contact to finding a neighborhood to live in.

The questions were non-technical but very thorough, including an all-day onsite with a product presentation. Very Google-y

Interview Questions

• Assume Airbnb is supply-constrained, how would you unlock additional supply?   Answer Question
    • Look at {this website}, based on their offering & site, how would you improve their growth?   Answer Question