Thumbtack Software Developer Interview Questions

Updated Apr 10, 2021

To filter interviews, or .
Found 72 of over 338 interviews

Recruiter31%
Employee Referral18%
HardAverageEasy

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA) in Mar 2021

Interview

Overall great interview experience. My recruiter Kathy made sure I was clear on every step of the process as well as being there to answer any questions I had along the way. Went behavioral phone screen -> hackerank challenge -> technical phone screen -> virtual onsite. One thing I really enjoyed was that a good amount of the technical questions asked were related to Thumbtack which made working through them pretty fun. Definitely recommend and I'm looking forward to joining the team!

Interview Questions
  • Signed an NDA so can't go into details, but just be sure to study classic data structures and algorithms.
    Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA)

Interview

The recruiter was very responsive and I would give him 11/10. However, the interviewer was not in good mood. No smile, dead/low voice... probably it was a wrong time to interview. I wish interviewers could request for another co-worker if they are not in-mood.

Interview Questions
  • Asked to use data structure knowledge to build something.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Draper, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Thumbtack (Draper, UT)

Interview

Seemed quite extensive. Recruiter phone screen, coding take home project, then a few onsite codepen challenges. I wasn't crazy about the impression of the company after the initial phone call. I think I heard the phrase "We're a bay area startup" over a dozen times. Felt very arrogant about being from San Fran and it rubbed me the wrong way. Also made it sound like they thought anyone not in that area is a sub par developer. They had different benefits for the non-bay area locations.

Interview Questions
  • The first at home programming wasn't really a quick challenge. More of a mini project.

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 week. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA) in May 2019

Interview

This was a 5 hour interview which included mobile (Android) specific questions and an on-site social meal. I met with engineers at various levels and the recruiter. I used my own laptop for part of the review.

Interview Questions
  • One of the questions was based on implementing the game Clue (in particular detecting a winning guess).

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral The process took 4 months. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA)

Interview

Very long interview process, lots of waiting to hear back and having to bump my recruiter. Did two virtual skills assessments before being invited onsite. Onsite accommodations were made quickly, were flexible, and were quite nice. Onsite consisted of four additional technical interviews and eating with my "lunch buddy" (which was not part of the interview, but felt like a behavioral interview.

Interview Questions
  • Standard coding questions, some behavioral questions, and some oddballs like "take two minutes to think and then teach me something for five minutes."

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA) in Jan 2019

Interview

Overall one of the best interview experience I've had. There was an online assessment, which took few hours. Then there were 2 phone rounds where you code on HackerRank while on the phone with an engineer. If you pass those rounds, you are offered to fly to their HQ for an onsite interview with 4 rounds. I loved how they let you code on your computer, rather than requiring you to write code on the whiteboard like some other companies. Also there is a lunch which tasted great and allowed you to experience their culture more.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA) in Dec 2018

Interview

One online assignment, two rounds of phone interview and then you go onsite. The onsite began with a short tour in San Francisco office from 10:30 to 11:00. I had the first round interview from 11:00 to 12:00. Then I had lunch with my referral. BTW, the lunch is great. Then I had another 3 rounds technical interviews from 13:00 to 16:00.

Interview Questions
  • All questions are about your project experiences and coding problems. Signed NDA, so cannot tell more about it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA) in Dec 2018

Interview

I applied online, then invited to chat with recruiter via phone. Passed the chat and invited to hackerrank, with leetcode hard and a couple easy questions. Most of them are applied questions. Invited to phone interview, then rejected. Process was quick though.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA) in Nov 2018

Interview

Started off with an online coding challenge, which then led to two separate hour-long technical phone interviews. After passing both of those, I was invited to an on-site, which consisted of 4 hour-long coding sessions and lunch with an engineer. Note that in each coding session, both in-person and over the phone, they expect your code to compile and run by the end. Everyone I met was super nice and passionate about the product, and the interview process was one of the smoothest I've been a part of. Although Thumbtack seemed like a great place to work, I ended up accepting a competing offer.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Thumbtack

Application

I interviewed at Thumbtack

Interview

Phone interview and typical onsite. Everyone at the company was nice. But they asked questions that were harder than we used to ask when I worked at Google. You are building a goddamn lead generation service for Maids for christ's sake!

Interview Questions
  • Algorithms, design, some rule derivation system that even they didn't know what it should do
1 person found this interview helpful