Thumbtack Software Developer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Thumbtack Software Developer Interview Questions

Interviews at Thumbtack

2.6

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA) in October 2015.

Interview

I was contacted by recruiter and invited to their SOMA HQ for a lunch chat. After the lunch, I was asked to complete a coding exercise you can find in their website. After that, 5 rounds of onsite interview.
Overall feeling for the interview is pretty good - it's still a small company but seems having a lot of potential; it also seems like there is a lot of room to grow in this company. The food from in-house kitchen looks delicious.

Interview Questions

• - Binary tree serialization
    - Trie
    - Design twitter message cache   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Thumbtack

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA) in May 2016.

Interview

The recruiter gave me a take home coding challenge, upon completion they gave me a technical phone interview. It was a question that requires correct data structure to achieve good performance. I was then invited onsite. There were 3 coding interviews (1 using laptop), 1 system design, and 1 behavior interview, and lunch with the founder. Everyone was very friendly and enthusiastic about the product they are building. The questions are not difficult and the interviewer will help you. I was told the interviews went well but they wanted someone with more experience / senior role. Overall the interview process is very smooth and I enjoyed talking with the engineers. It's an amazing company constantly making improvements to make their product better. The hiring team is very responsive too, best interview experience I had so far!

Interview Questions

• Q: How do you design X? ( X = one of the top 10 websites )   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Interview

Initial phone screen with the hiring manager followed by an on-site with 5-6 rounds. Overall all the people I met were pretty nice but there seemed to be lack of enthusiasm about the product.

Got the impression that they just want to hire people from Google,Facebook etc to look good on paper and become an acqui-hire candidate.

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Thumbtack in July 2016.

Interview

I applied this position online, then booked an call interview with the recruiter. In the call interview, I just introduce my career and skills. After the call, I got the reject email.

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Thumbtack in March 2015.

Interview

Round 1: Technical skills evaluation. One of the recruiter from company called me.
    Round 2: Take home test.
    Round 3: Phone screen(Coding interview). The coding interview was pretty much easy, not so difficult when compared to other start ups

Interview Questions

• Round 2: evaluate prefix notation ab+cd+*   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA) in January 2014.

Interview

Came in for an hour long lunch with an engineer and a separate 45 minute technical interview with another engineer. The in-house chef does an awesome job, and they brag about it a lot. The office is pretty small/cramped since they have done a lot of hiring, but they are moving offices some time this year. The recruiter was really nice and helpful but the engineering interviewers seemed significantly less engaged/interested than any of the other companies I've met with.

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Thumbtack in June 2016.

Interview

The phone screen was rescheduled twice without prior notification, leaving me waiting for two calls that never came. The phone screen was eventually conducted by someone who was not experienced in the platform they were hiring for, and was clearly either bored, disinterested, or plain irritated to interview me. I was rejected following the interview.

Interview Questions

• Given a list of tokens, count the number of times each token occurs in the list.   Answer Question

Thumbtack Response

Oct 5, 2017 – Social Media Support Manager

Thanks for sharing your experience regarding the interview process. We’re sorry to hear that your time with us was not positive. We hope for a strong candidate experience where each candidate feels... More

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA) in May 2016.

Interview

Their HR calls you for a casual nterview, then they put you in contact with their tech lead. She talks to you and sets up time for a technical interview with one of their developers.

Interview Questions

• It's an interactive technical interview where the developer gives you exercises and you solve them live through a collaborative online coding platform. The developer in question is Indian with a very heavy accent so it is very hard to understand what he is saying over the phone.   1 Answer

Thumbtack Response

May 2, 2017 – Social Media Support Manager

Thank you for letting us know about your Software Development interview experience that included a conversation with a developer. We are always working to improve our interview process to ensure a... More

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Thumbtack in August 2016.

Interview

Recruiter contacted me and scheduled phone interviews. Interviews were polite and professional and asked decent questions. Phone screen interviews were fairly decent. Will post more details when process moves ahead. Will post more details when process moves ahead.

Interview Questions

• Write a class to find mean and median of streaming integers where integers have a range of 0 to 1000.   1 Answer
    • Implement a multi hash map with keys having more than 1 value
      k1 -> {v1, v2, v3}
      k2 -> {v3, v5}
      k3 -> {v5, v7}

API should be
      1. void put(K k, V v) // put(k1, v1) --> no-op. put(k1, v4) --> do something.
      2. void delete(K k, V v) // delete(k4, v8) --> no-op. delete(k3, v5) --> do something.
      3. Collection<V> get(K k) // if key does not exist, return an empty collection.
      4. boolean containsValue(V v) // containsValue(v5) return true; containsValue(v6) return false;

all 4 methods run in O(1) time.
      keys are strings, values are longs.   Answer Question