Thumbtack Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Thumbtack Software Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at Thumbtack

3.1

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA) in July 2014.

Interview

I was put in touch with the company via a recruiter and talked to someone from the company shortly after. We talked about the company, its engineering team, the role I would fill, and of course my qualifications and technical background. She was very polite and helpful overall. After that initial call, we assigned a date for a phone interview. The interview was done online via a phone call and a shared document/codepad.

Interview Questions

• The question wasn't hard at all. It was to parse a mathematical expression provided as a string and output its result. I asked a couple of clarifying questions and proceeded to write a complete solution using the Shunting-yard algorithm by Dijkstra. After the interview, I executed my code and only found a couple of minor errors unrelated to the overall algorithm.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Thumbtack

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Thumbtack in October 2014.

Interview

I got an e-mail after turning in my resume at a career fair. They sent me a challenge to implement a simple database. After that I got a phone interview that was scheduled within a few days. The experience was positive. They were very kind and responded very quickly.

Interview Questions

• Given an 2D array that represents a Sudoku board, check that it is in a valid configuration.   2 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Thumbtack.

Interview

I applied via an internal referral. Their recruiting team is very professional. I get an email describing the code challenge soon and get a phone interview quickly after I submitted the code challenge. In the beginning, the interviewer asked questions about your projects and what the challenges are. Then, he used CoderPad.io to watch how you code to solve the problem they provided. After phone interview, I also get my rejection notification soon. It is an efficient and comfortable interview process.

Interview Questions

• The code challenge is interesting. To create a in-memory database with put/get/transaction instructions.   2 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Thumbtack in December 2014.

Interview

Applied online and they sent me a webpage with a programming challenge to be completed. Although I didn't get an offer, it was nice to get a feedback on my code.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Thumbtack in January 2015.

Interview

Applied online. Recruiter quickly responded and setup a call where he described the position and I gave my background. The next step was to do the coding challenge - create an in memory DB. They recommend 30mins to 90mins on it, but I spent about 3hours, just being thorough and making sure everything was correct.

A week later a technical phone screen was scheduled. Interviewer asked me to describe a technical challenge I had faced, and then asked me to code a solution to a question on a shared document. The question wasn't too difficult. After I coded the solution, he added a few requirements and asked me to code those up. As soon as I got it working, interviewer basically said "Great! Awesome!" and moved on. He never really asked follow up questions or wanted me to discuss my implementation or ways to improve it or anything,

I got my rejection email the next day. I was a bit surprised since I felt my solution to the coding question was good and the interviewer seemed fine with it. I didn't receive any feedback on why I was rejected either. I was also a bit frustrated because initial coding challenge that I did was never brought up at all, so I felt like I had kind of wasted some time doing it. I will say that everyone (all the recruiters, coordinators, interviewers) were super nice, and they were efficient and timely in letting me know about their decision.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Thumbtack.

Interview

I got contacted by a company recruiter by email after applying, and was directed to a page with three coding challenges and asked to pick one to do. The challenges are separated by suggested programming languages/skills, so there isn't really much of a choice of which one to pick.
    A few days later I got an email saying I was rejected, apparently from an outside company that handles recruiting/interviews.

Interview Questions

• Create a Reddis style key-value database   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA) in April 2016.

Interview

I applied online and scheduled a call with a recruiter a few days later. Standard recruiting call, giving me an overview of the company, a bit about the role, and information on next steps. Next steps were a coding challenge that's available on their website. I was asked to complete it within a week and submit. I was busy with other interviews, so it took me a couple of days to get to it. I submitted the challenge with the link I was provided by the recruiter, and never heard from them again.

Overall this is probably the laziest way of hiring I have ever seen.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Thumbtack.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter and scheduled an initial phone conversation. It went well, so I was presented with a coding assignment to complete and submit online. I posted a solution and it was well received, so I moved on to the next step, which was a technical screen via phone.

This is where things went sideways. I was asked to solve a relatively straightforward problem while the interviewer looked on, but being way out of practice at time-constrained coding, I failed. A few days later I received a polite rejection email. It was disheartening, but I can't really fault Thumbtack.

I would recommend that you prepare for the technical interview process before interviewing with Thumbtack. Brush up on algorithms, and practice belting out code quickly in your chosen language. You might be sharp and accomplished, but you have to be able to make a positive impression within 45 minutes.

Interview Questions

• Q: Can you solve this coding problem? It's pretty basic.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Thumbtack in March 2016.

Interview

First there was a 15 minutes chat on phone, basically just recruiter asking you questions. Then OA (in memory database). I got two phone interviews and never heard from them afterwards.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Thumbtack.

Interview

Spoke with the recruiter who gave me a good overview of the process and company. Was given a take home problem. After a couple days after submission was scheduled for a phone screen. Phone screen was questions on my projects and then coding online. The problem was a basic algorithm problem with a space constraint. I struggled through it so didn't make it to the next step. Recruiter and interviewer were really professional and nice throughout the process.