Thumbtack Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Thumbtack Software Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at Thumbtack

3.1

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA) in July 2014.

Interview

I was put in touch with the company via a recruiter and talked to someone from the company shortly after. We talked about the company, its engineering team, the role I would fill, and of course my qualifications and technical background. She was very polite and helpful overall. After that initial call, we assigned a date for a phone interview. The interview was done online via a phone call and a shared document/codepad.

Interview Questions

• The question wasn't hard at all. It was to parse a mathematical expression provided as a string and output its result. I asked a couple of clarifying questions and proceeded to write a complete solution using the Shunting-yard algorithm by Dijkstra. After the interview, I executed my code and only found a couple of minor errors unrelated to the overall algorithm.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Thumbtack

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Thumbtack.

Interview

I applied via an internal referral. Their recruiting team is very professional. I get an email describing the code challenge soon and get a phone interview quickly after I submitted the code challenge. In the beginning, the interviewer asked questions about your projects and what the challenges are. Then, he used CoderPad.io to watch how you code to solve the problem they provided. After phone interview, I also get my rejection notification soon. It is an efficient and comfortable interview process.

Interview Questions

• The code challenge is interesting. To create a in-memory database with put/get/transaction instructions.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Thumbtack in October 2014.

Interview

I got an e-mail after turning in my resume at a career fair. They sent me a challenge to implement a simple database. After that I got a phone interview that was scheduled within a few days. The experience was positive. They were very kind and responded very quickly.

Interview Questions

• Given an 2D array that represents a Sudoku board, check that it is in a valid configuration.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Thumbtack.

Interview

I got contacted by a company recruiter by email after applying, and was directed to a page with three coding challenges and asked to pick one to do. The challenges are separated by suggested programming languages/skills, so there isn't really much of a choice of which one to pick.
    A few days later I got an email saying I was rejected, apparently from an outside company that handles recruiting/interviews.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA) in January 2012.

Interview

Medium difficulty questions

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Thumbtack in January 2015.

Interview

Applied online. Recruiter quickly responded and setup a call where he described the position and I gave my background. The next step was to do the coding challenge - create an in memory DB. They recommend 30mins to 90mins on it, but I spent about 3hours, just being thorough and making sure everything was correct.

A week later a technical phone screen was scheduled. Interviewer asked me to describe a technical challenge I had faced, and then asked me to code a solution to a question on a shared document. The question wasn't too difficult. After I coded the solution, he added a few requirements and asked me to code those up. As soon as I got it working, interviewer basically said "Great! Awesome!" and moved on. He never really asked follow up questions or wanted me to discuss my implementation or ways to improve it or anything,

I got my rejection email the next day. I was a bit surprised since I felt my solution to the coding question was good and the interviewer seemed fine with it. I didn't receive any feedback on why I was rejected either. I was also a bit frustrated because initial coding challenge that I did was never brought up at all, so I felt like I had kind of wasted some time doing it. I will say that everyone (all the recruiters, coordinators, interviewers) were super nice, and they were efficient and timely in letting me know about their decision.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Thumbtack in December 2014.

Interview

Applied online and they sent me a webpage with a programming challenge to be completed. Although I didn't get an offer, it was nice to get a feedback on my code.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

A recruiter reached out to me via email with some information about their company asking if I'd be interested. After looking over the information, they scheduled a phone call to answer any questions. After deciding to pursue it, they sent me an online assignment to be done whenever. It was similar to many other reviews here.

I spent a couple hours one night on it and turned it in. After a couple days they said they liked it and scheduled a phone screen with one of their engineers. The person who interviewed me over the phone wasn't the person they said would be conducting the interview. They've got profiles of all their employees on their website so I did some snooping before-hand. The question they asked was a typical question you'd find in "Cracking the Coding Interview" and is mentioned a lot when discussing common interview questions. I was familiar with the problem and told the interviewer that, but he told me to go on with it anyway. I feel like I answered it alright, although later I saw some inefficiencies with it.

A couple days after that the recruiter got back to me and said they wanted to bring me in for an in-person interview. I don't live near San Francisco, so they made all the arrangements to bring me in. They gave me a good overview of what would be in the interview as far as types of questions and the format it would be in.

I had 4 technical interviews, one of which was a systems design problem, with the rest being coding challenges. I also had lunch with one of their co-founders and met for about 30 minutes with their director of engineering to discuss my experience.

The technical questions were challenging, but reading "Cracking the Coding Interview" would prepare you well for them. I felt like I did alright, but still stumbled on a couple parts. It was my first interview in a couple years and I could have prepared more for it.

In the end, they declined to extend me an offer. They said they saw me as a culture fit but that I was lacking in some technical areas. I suspect it was mostly my unfamiliarity with their particular tech stack, but my stumbling in some of the technical questions surely didn't help.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Thumbtack in September 2013.

Interview

Programming challenge that took ~3 hours. They got back to me with an esoteric language optimisation that should've been made and denied me afterwards. 3 hours wasted. Several of my peers have also complained about the lack of balance/respect with regards to time invested to candidates. Talk about getting thumbtack'd.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Thumbtack.

Interview

Phone Interview followed by a take home assignment.
    My interview was rescheduled thrice before I had a quick call discussing my current work, job expectations and interview timeline as well as thorough briefing on Thumbtack's future engineering work.
    The assignment was an interesting challenge to work on (like most other reviewers, I wrote a simple in-memory database solution). Submitted my code a week from when I opened the challenge (you get two weeks) after extensive testing. Got an email back not long after saying they're going with other candidates.
    Might be looking for more experienced professionals.