Thumbtack Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Thumbtack Software Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at Thumbtack

3.1

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Interview

The recruiter was very responsive and I would give him 11/10. However, the interviewer was not in good mood. No smile, dead/low voice... probably it was a wrong time to interview. I wish interviewers could request for another co-worker if they are not in-mood.

Interview Questions

• Asked to use data structure knowledge to build something.   Answer Question

Nov 4, 2019 – Social Media Support Manager

We really appreciate your feedback! I’m sorry to hear that your experience during the interview process was not a positive one. We pride ourselves on candidate experience and delivering a consistent, fair, and engaging interview process for everyone who walks through our doors. We will be sharing this feedback directly with the recruiting team.

Other Interview Reviews for Thumbtack

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Draper, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Thumbtack (Draper, UT).

Interview

Seemed quite extensive. Recruiter phone screen, coding take home project, then a few onsite codepen challenges. I wasn't crazy about the impression of the company after the initial phone call. I think I heard the phrase "We're a bay area startup" over a dozen times. Felt very arrogant about being from San Fran and it rubbed me the wrong way. Also made it sound like they thought anyone not in that area is a sub par developer. They had different benefits for the non-bay area locations.

Interview Questions

• The first at home programming wasn't really a quick challenge. More of a mini project.   2 Answers

Jul 2, 2019 – Social Media Support Manager

Thanks for sharing your experience regarding the interview process. We're sorry to hear that your time with us was not positive. We strive for a strong candidate experience where each candidate feels engaged, respected, and delighted. We'll be sure to pass this feedback along to the team.

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA) in May 2019.

Interview

This was a 5 hour interview which included mobile (Android) specific questions and an on-site social meal. I met with engineers at various levels and the recruiter. I used my own laptop for part of the review.

Interview Questions

• One of the questions was based on implementing the game Clue (in particular detecting a winning guess).   1 Answer

Jul 24, 2019 – Social Media Support Manager

Thanks for sharing your experience with our interview process and for accepting our offer. We're looking forward to having you!

Software Engineering Interview

Interview

A coding challenge (3 parts), followed by a phone screen and video call interview that consists of solving and explaining my solution to a given coding question. The question was fair and the interviewer was patient and made the overall! They gave me wonderful feedback!

Interview Questions

• How would you optimize the search engine by categorizing our current categories that we offer that would best match our customer with their preferences and needs?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Very long interview process, lots of waiting to hear back and having to bump my recruiter. Did two virtual skills assessments before being invited onsite. Onsite accommodations were made quickly, were flexible, and were quite nice. Onsite consisted of four additional technical interviews and eating with my "lunch buddy" (which was not part of the interview, but felt like a behavioral interview.

Interview Questions

• Standard coding questions, some behavioral questions, and some oddballs like "take two minutes to think and then teach me something for five minutes."   Answer Question

Feb 5, 2019 – Social Media Support Manager

Thank you for letting us know about your interview experience. We are always working to improve our interview process to ensure a strong candidate experience - your feedback is essential for implementing changes to strengthen our current process.

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA) in January 2019.

Interview

Overall one of the best interview experience I've had. There was an online assessment, which took few hours. Then there were 2 phone rounds where you code on HackerRank while on the phone with an engineer. If you pass those rounds, you are offered to fly to their HQ for an onsite interview with 4 rounds. I loved how they let you code on your computer, rather than requiring you to write code on the whiteboard like some other companies. Also there is a lunch which tasted great and allowed you to experience their culture more.

Interview Questions

• Data Structures and Algorithms   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA) in December 2018.

Interview

One online assignment, two rounds of phone interview and then you go onsite.
    The onsite began with a short tour in San Francisco office from 10:30 to 11:00.
    I had the first round interview from 11:00 to 12:00.
    Then I had lunch with my referral. BTW, the lunch is great.
    Then I had another 3 rounds technical interviews from 13:00 to 16:00.

Interview Questions

• All questions are about your project experiences and coding problems. Signed NDA, so cannot tell more about it.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA) in December 2018.

Interview

I applied online, then invited to chat with recruiter via phone. Passed the chat and invited to hackerrank, with leetcode hard and a couple easy questions. Most of them are applied questions. Invited to phone interview, then rejected. Process was quick though.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA) in November 2018.

Interview

Started off with an online coding challenge, which then led to two separate hour-long technical phone interviews. After passing both of those, I was invited to an on-site, which consisted of 4 hour-long coding sessions and lunch with an engineer. Note that in each coding session, both in-person and over the phone, they expect your code to compile and run by the end.

Everyone I met was super nice and passionate about the product, and the interview process was one of the smoothest I've been a part of. Although Thumbtack seemed like a great place to work, I ended up accepting a competing offer.

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Phone interview and typical onsite. Everyone at the company was nice. But they asked questions that were harder than we used to ask when I worked at Google. You are building a goddamn lead generation service for Maids for christ's sake!

Interview Questions

• Algorithms, design, some rule derivation system that even they didn't know what it should do   Answer Question

Oct 15, 2018 – Social Media Support Manager

Since we want the best for the customers and professionals who use our site, we have high standards for our employees. This being said, we take feedback seriously and will make sure this experience is heard.