Thumbtack Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Thumbtack Software Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at Thumbtack

3.1

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Thumbtack.

Interview

Phone Interview followed by a take home assignment.
My interview was rescheduled thrice before I had a quick call discussing my current work, job expectations and interview timeline as well as thorough briefing on Thumbtack's future engineering work.
The assignment was an interesting challenge to work on (like most other reviewers, I wrote a simple in-memory database solution). Submitted my code a week from when I opened the challenge (you get two weeks) after extensive testing. Got an email back not long after saying they're going with other candidates.
Might be looking for more experienced professionals.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Thumbtack

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Interview

This is one of the worst interviewing experiences I have ever had. They sent you a link where you can book an interview with the recruiter, who was booked solid for two straight weeks. When the interview time came, no call. 10 minutes past the scheduled time, I got an email from a coordinator saying that the technical recruiter couldn't make it and asked me to book for another time in the future. Zero professionalism.

Interview Questions

• No question because they were a no show for the interview.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

Thumbtack has the best software engineering interview process I've ever seen. It's challenging but very thoughtfully designed and friendly. My advice for candidates is to be open and discuss your thinking as you go. The engineers at Thumbtack try to be helpful and won't ding you for asking questions, admitting that you're stuck, or spitballing ideas and partial solutions. Overview: One coding challenge, one 1-hour phone interview, half-day onsite interview. The phone interview was interesting in that it was the only one in which I was required to test my code on the spot. The interviewer was engaged the entire time and was very helpful. The problem was moderate in difficulty. The onsite was similar to the phone interview, with four 45-minute sessions and questions ranging from moderate to difficult. Again, the interviewers were very engaged and the process was extremely flexible. I could choose to use any combination of whiteboarding and coding on my laptop in order to solve the problems—whatever I found most productive. This helped me keep my thoughts straight and focus on problem solving. They were there for me to talk through my thinking and ask me helpful questions. Whenever I was coding on my laptop, it felt a lot more like pair programming than an interview, with the interviewer letting me know whenever I made a typo or logic error. Despite the fact that one of the interviewers was a PhD and the others were experienced systems engineers, they were extremely friendly and never intimidating. Plus the workspace is amazing.

Interview Questions

• I'm not disclosing any interview questions here. Just do your normal interview prep routine. Review CTCI and Programming Interviews Exposed, as well as basic data structures, algorithms, and discrete math. Practice coding in your preferred language so all those little programming issues don't get in the way as you interview.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Thumbtack in May 2016.

Interview

Phone Screen Interview. I have been initially contacted by a Thumbtack recruiter via email and have been invited to discuss the opportunities either by phone, or email. The recruiter have sent me a link for a web form where I could schedule an appointment for a phone interview. Two weeks later I received a call from the recruiter who has introduced me to the following topics: company’s current challenges, open positions, employed programming languages, collaboration culture, and career development. The interviewer has also walked me through the entire hiring process step by step. The entire call took around 40 minutes. I didn’t pass to the next interview round

Interview Questions

• The questions included my background, education, and technical skills set   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Thumbtack in March 2016.

Interview

First there was a 15 minutes chat on phone, basically just recruiter asking you questions. Then OA (in memory database). I got two phone interviews and never heard from them afterwards.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Thumbtack.

Interview

Spoke with the recruiter who gave me a good overview of the process and company. Was given a take home problem. After a couple days after submission was scheduled for a phone screen. Phone screen was questions on my projects and then coding online. The problem was a basic algorithm problem with a space constraint. I struggled through it so didn't make it to the next step. Recruiter and interviewer were really professional and nice throughout the process.

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

An initial phone talk followed by a take home assignment. Feedback came in a couple of working days, said there were failed test cases, and the process stopped here. Although claiming only care about smartness, and not care about programming language etc., the take home exam can hardly embody such principles. The recruiter is nice though.

Interview Questions

• Take home assignment on a small project. Claims taking 30-90 minutes, but could be much longer. They actually might expect candidates to spend quite some time on it, to pass all corner test cases.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA) in April 2016.

Interview

I applied online and scheduled a call with a recruiter a few days later. Standard recruiting call, giving me an overview of the company, a bit about the role, and information on next steps. Next steps were a coding challenge that's available on their website. I was asked to complete it within a week and submit. I was busy with other interviews, so it took me a couple of days to get to it. I submitted the challenge with the link I was provided by the recruiter, and never heard from them again.

Overall this is probably the laziest way of hiring I have ever seen.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Thumbtack.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter and scheduled an initial phone conversation. It went well, so I was presented with a coding assignment to complete and submit online. I posted a solution and it was well received, so I moved on to the next step, which was a technical screen via phone.

This is where things went sideways. I was asked to solve a relatively straightforward problem while the interviewer looked on, but being way out of practice at time-constrained coding, I failed. A few days later I received a polite rejection email. It was disheartening, but I can't really fault Thumbtack.

I would recommend that you prepare for the technical interview process before interviewing with Thumbtack. Brush up on algorithms, and practice belting out code quickly in your chosen language. You might be sharp and accomplished, but you have to be able to make a positive impression within 45 minutes.

Interview Questions

• Q: Can you solve this coding problem? It's pretty basic.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA) in October 2015.

Interview

Submitted my resume through my campus career center. I was contacted about two weeks later by a recruiter with an interview slot on campus. When I walk in the room, the first thing my interviewer does is give me a coding problem that's described on a sheet of paper. He tells me to read it and solve it on the whiteboard. I'm surprised by this because there's usually a bit of introduction and behavioral questions at the start.

I take a couple minutes to read it and jot down some notes, then start drawing some examples on the whiteboard and talk through different approaches. As I'm talking, he doesn't really look up from the computer and it doesn't really seem like he's listening. I start to get annoyed by this but I keep talking and start coding. I ended up running out of time at the end but if I had about 3 more minutes I would have finished. I get a rejection email a few days later.

Overall I'm very disappointed by the process. I heard that Thumbtack was a fun place to work with a great culture, but it seems like during the interview the only thing they cared about was whether I could code and solve the problem. They didn't seem like they wanted to get to know me at all, and the interviewer was very cold during the entire process. The recruiter was very friendly though, but based on my experience during this interview Thumbtack doesn't seem like somewhere I'd want to work.