Thumbtack Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Thumbtack Software Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at Thumbtack

3.1

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stanford, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Thumbtack (Stanford, CA) in September 2015.

Interview

Met a representative at a campus career fair, and received an email two weeks later saying they wanted to bring me in for an on-site interview on campus. The recruiter who scheduled it was there with the interviewer. My interviewer asked one behavioral question and jumped right into the technical question. The interview took 45 minutes total.

Interview Questions

• -Tell me a little about one major project on your resume.
    -Given a mathematical problem represented as a string in reverse polish notation, return the result (the interviewer explained that in reverse polish notation, 6 + 9/3 - 2 would be represented as "6 9 3 / + 2 -", where the operand immediately follows the elements needed for the calculation).   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Thumbtack

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA) in October 2015.

Interview

Had a face-to-face interview on campus a few days after handing in my CV in the job fair. The interviewer was super nice and helpful in the interview process. Then went to an onsite. Co-founder gave a general talk for about 15 minutes, followed by 6 interviews (4 technical + 2 general + 1 lunch). Technical ones were almost the typical questions online. But I did not work well... Some of the interviewers were very nice and helpful when I struggled. But some were not nice at all. But they do care about your previous experience (projects). They did not follow the schedule strictly. In general, the interview process is very tough but I learned a lot, especially the nice culture of the company.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Thumbtack in February 2016.

Interview

Someone who was not a member reached out to tell me about Thumbtack and ask if would be interested in interviewing for an engineering position. After that conversation he forwarded my info on to the recruiting team. At this point things went downhill. First I got an automated rejection email saying I was not a good fit for the position. After that a recruiter reached out saying they made a mistake and asked if I would still like to setup a time to talk. I setup a time to talk and the recruiter never reached out to me. I followed up several times and never heard back from anyone.

Interview Questions

• In our first conversation they asked general info about my background and experience.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA) in January 2016.

Interview

No interview process at all. They are giving a home task. A really bad impression. Giving a home task is considered normally unprofessional and applied only in case of some kind of interns if the company wants to know if they can even code. Or a home task applies to a software engineer who has mixed impression from a team interview.

Neither of this applies to this company. I had an impression they just want you to use their web-site as an app. Or write a task for them, so you give them some ideas.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Thumbtack in September 2015.

Interview

Was contacted by an in-house recruiter on LinkedIn. Was given a link to their website which was describing a problem that I should solve at my own pace. You can send an email to the recruiter if you have questions about the problem. They relay it to their developers and get back to you with their answer.

Interview Questions

• It's a problem that they give to everyone. Design an in-memory database. The problem is described on their website and can be accessed through a link that they provide.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA) in December 2015.

Interview

Applied online. Contacted by recruiter and was sent a coding challenge. Finished it quickly and sent it back. Got a reject after a week. I asked for what are the grounds on rejection, the recruiter said that feedback will not be given. Total waste of time. Don't recommend interviewing here.

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

Technical phone screen, followed by an on-site. All interviewers were friendly, nice, and the problems were representative of real-life problems, which I like better than the typical whiteboard algorithm-heavy interviews. My recruiter was also great, and did a great job at making me understand what makes the place so great.

Interview Questions

Thumbtack Response

Jul 17, 2017 – Social Media Support Manager

Welcome to the team. We're excited to see what you bring to the table.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Thumbtack.

Interview

There was a hackerrank and two technical interviews, after which I was called on-site for an interview. The on-site had two interviews and a lunch. The office was great and so were the people over there. Would have loved to get an offer to work there, but sadly I didn't. Will definitely apply next year.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA) in September 2017.

Interview

I reached out to a recruiter directly, and was set up with a technical phone screen. The recruiter mentioned that because I had applied in the past, and had finished a coding challenge then, I wouldn't have to do it again. The phone interview was set up quickly and was pretty standard. After moving on, I was invited onsite to their HQ in San Francisco.

The on-sites consisted of 1 technical interview, then a 30-minute lunch interview, and then 3 more 1-hour technical interviews. Their interviews all started with a simple "Tell me about project X" that you've done. It only takes about 10 minutes, but it's probably good to prepare answers for these. Each of the interviews were done on a laptop in a shared HackerRank.

The thing with Thumbtack is that they expect your code to compile and run for all interviews. If you're not prepared for this, it can be a pretty big shock, especially if you're used to doing pseudocode on the whiteboard. I'm not a huge fan of this because you end up wasting a lot of time at the end fixing syntax and compiler errors. Remember your imports!

After the interviews, my recruiter came in to check in and answer any final questions.

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA) in November 2017.

Interview

Started with a linkedin message from a recruiter. Talked to another recruiter on the phone. Then did a phone screen with a developer. Then had an onsite with 5 interviews (including one lunch interview) 3 were programming challenges, one was a systems design question and one was a culture fit discussion.

Got the offer then was invited back to a 3rd round with a tech-lead, enginnering team lead and a co-founder for the final sell. Talked about the overall product architecture and company vision and goals.

Interview Questions

• Design a calendar application that lets people save events and get reminder notifications.   1 Answer