Thumbtack Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Thumbtack Software Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at Thumbtack

3.1

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA) in October 2017.

Interview

I thoroughly enjoyed my experience interviewing with Thumbtack. From the beginning, I felt that the company was vested in learning what I was looking for - from the recruiter screen to the offer sell. As for the actual on-site, it was very collaborative - in stark contrast to many other companies I interviewed with where one is tasked to come up with a solution by themselves. One thing to note is that Thumbtack expects your code to compile, so high level psuedo-code wont cut it.

Interview Questions

• What is one thing you can teach me in five minutes? (Doesn't have to be programming related)   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Thumbtack

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Thumbtack in October 2017.

Interview

Recruiters have poor communication, very slow to respond, and very unprofessional. All communication with them had generic automated responses, and will cancel on you last minute (positions filled up already). I felt like I was wasting my time talking and waiting for them to respond all the time.

Engineers are friendly during interviews, and are enjoyable to talk with. Solving the coding questions were fairly simple, and they will provide some hints/guiding questions if needed.

Process [New Grad]: HackerRank -> 2x phone screens -> onsite (canceled)

Interview Questions

• Closest Palindrome   Answer Question
    • Spell Checker - implement a spell checker that returns the correct word for an input word. Given a dictionary of correct words as input. Correct for capitalization and vowels in input word   Answer Question

Thumbtack Response

Nov 28, 2017 – Social Media Support Manager

Thanks for sharing your experience regarding the interview process. We’re sorry to hear that your time wasn’t valued. We strive for a strong candidate experience where each candidate feels engaged... More

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Thumbtack in November 2016.

Interview

Started with a hackerrank challenge, after which a recruiter reached out to me to schedule a phone interview. After the first phone interview, recruiter reached out to schedule another phone interview. I think I did well in the second phone interview, but just the next day I received an email that said that Thumbtack is done with the process of hiring entry level software engineers.

This was extremely upsetting. I spent time and effort to prepare for these interviews and then I get an email saying that all my interviews were nullified and they're not hiring entry level software engineers anymore.

Interview Questions

• Basic questions using data structures such as hashmaps, trees, tries etc.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

Save some time for your self. its not worth attending interviews at Thumbtack.
    As many other people told about their interview experience at Thumbtack, They will not hire you until and unless you have big companies like Google, Amazon, Facebook etc.

Coming to my experience, Recruiter contacted me via indeed back in October. first there was a telephonic interview where the interviewer asked me a tough question. I was able to solve it in last few mins of the interview. Then a onsite interview was scheduled which consisted for 5 rounds which include 3 coding rounds, 1 design round and 1 behavior round.

All the 3 coding questions were real tough, but i was able to solve all of them with the best complexity. Even the design question was really tough and I think i did a good job there too.

After 2 business days i got a call from recruiter saying that they are looking for some one with more experience than me. I really dont understand why did they interviewed me when they are looking for more experience. My experience is clearly visible from my resume.

Another worst thing, one of the interviewers asked my name and which company i am working for questions. He did not even go through my resume.

I was shocked when the recruiter told me that they are not giving an offer because i was able to solve all the problems which were really tough.

As a matter of fact, i got a offer letter from one of the top companies the next week. I would openly admit, my performance at thumbtack was 10 times better than my performance at the other company interview which gave an offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

The recruiter reached out to me and sent a coding challenge. I completed it and sent it back the next day. I then had two phone interviews after that. Both were pretty easy if you are well prepared. Then came the onsite interviews. They were medium to difficult interviews. One of the interviewers was very rude and kept cutting me off and gave me off handish answers. The interviewer clearly did not want to be there. The recruiter mentioned they respond with feedback pretty soon but that is not the case. My overall experience was very unpleasant.

Interview Questions

• Phone - Streaming median and dictionary related problems
      Why Thumbtack, algorithms and data structure related questions. Practise Leetcode and you should be able to do well.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Started off with call from recruiter. I had experience so went straight to the phone interview.

Finished a couple of phone interviews before the onsite and then went through the onsite interview process.

I believe I had done a very good job across all the interviews but didn't get through. The recruiter told me it was because of the coding skills which was very surprising.

I sincerely do not believe it was the coding skills because I know I did very well. Definitely some other criteria did not trigger for them correctly.

Interview Questions

• Phone interview 1) Find the median in a streaming list of integers if you already knew upfront that the integers are in the range of 0 to 1000.

Phone interview 2) Store and lookup a word in a dictionary.

Onsite 1: Given a set of arrays, merge them if there are intersections until you can do no more.

Onsite 2: Write a program to play the Clue board game with the computer - which is a guessing game.

Onsite 3: Design Facebook feeds.

Onsite 4: Design and implement a Least Used Cache.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Thumbtack in June 2016.

Interview

Quick conversation with a recruiter then given a coding challenge on HackerRank. I was given 2 weeks to complete the challenge. The challenge was to implement an in-memory DB and to implement commands like set, get, rollback, commit. I submitted my code and was notified two weeks later they are proceeding with another candidate. No feedback on my submission.

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA) in December 2015.

Interview

First I had a phone call from the recruiter to go over my background and interests and get started in the process. After that I got a take home test (code challenge). The a 1 hour technical phone interview. After this I was invited onsite where I had 3 technical sessions, a system design session, and a culture fit interview. They call a couple of days after the onsite interview to make an offer. The whole process took less than a month.

Interview Questions

• Talk about previous projects, describe challenges, what went wrong.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

I went through the phone interview with the recruiter and afterward, she sent me the same coding exercise on Hacker Rank that everyone has received in the past which is create a simple db. I did the exercise and sent it in but was rejected. I should have followed up after to find out what I did wrong, but I didn't.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA) in December 2016.

Interview

1 round OA: lasts for 2 weeks
    2 rounds Phone interview: 1 hour each
    Onsite:
    3 rounds Technical interview (Only algorithms question)
    1 round Behavior interview