Thumbtack Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Thumbtack Software Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at Thumbtack

3.1

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Typical process. I had an initial recruiter call and then technical phone screens with online collaboration. The recruiter had very open lines of communication throughout the process, and provided feedback after the interviews. Although I didn't make it to onsite (not enough practice unfortunately), it was a positive experience overall.

Interview Questions

• Track the median and mean of a growing set of integers with constant space complexity.   Answer Question
  • Store and lookup a word in a dictionary as it's typed in. e.g., { "cat", "car", "cow", "dog" }
    Type c : return cat, car, cow
    Continue so now you have ca : return cat, car
    Finish as car : return car   1 Answer

Mar 29, 2017 – Social Media Support Manager

Thank you for your interest in working with us. We wish you the best of luck with your job search.

Other Interview Reviews for Thumbtack

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA) in March 2018.

Interview

One phone screen with a recruiter, one technical phone interview, and one onsite interview consisting of 3 coding questions and 1 systems design question. I appreciated that questions stemmed from real-world problems, and interviewers were collaborative as opposed to scrutinizing.

Interview Questions

• Coding questions included a graph problem, OOP design, and algorithmic array problem.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Thumbtack in October 2017.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter a year prior to interviewing but I had already accepted an internship at the time. I reached out to that same recruiter this round and was given a coding challenge. The coding challenge was a hacker rank that you had a week to complete. The problem was interesting and pretty fun to work on. The lack of time pressure allowed me to do it leisurely and use best practices without a huge time pressure.

After submitting, I was quickly brought onsite and went through 4 1:1 screens. These screens are different than other experiences Ive had because rather than whiteboarding, you work through a problem and then are expected to implement and RUN it in a coderpad-like environment. This was a bit stressful but overall, I thought it was a fun experience with interesting, relevant problems.

The employees were passionate and bright. Everyone I spoke to was friendly and I generally enjoyable day. The company seemed to be growing fast with ambitious goals.

I decided to accept the offer based professional growth opportunity, mentorship and senior engineers and culture

Interview Questions

Thumbtack Response

Mar 13, 2018 – Social Media Support Manager

Glad to have you on board. We’re growing fast and solving big problems, we’re excited to see what skills you can bring to the table!

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA) in October 2017.

Interview

After 2 phone interviews, I got an invitation to onsite interview. Thumbtack just helped me set up everything - round trip tickets, hotels and lunch with employee at Thumbtack. It's a delightful interview experience.

Interview Questions

• There are multiple services in Thumbtack. Some services couldn't be triggered until service or service(s) existed. Given an arrangement of services, write down code to check if it's legal. For example, if service C must came after service A&B, then A ->C ->B is not a legal, while A ->B ->C or B ->A ->C is legal.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA) in April 2018.

Interview

Started with a quick recruiter chat. Afterwards, there was a technical phone screen with an engineer, and after that, an onsite interview at the Thumbtack SF office with 4 technical interviews. Recruiters were very prompt and helpful. Overall, the interview process was incredibly smooth.

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA) in February 2018.

Interview

I was well informed about what to expect at each interview step. Also, after each step I got detailed feedback about what was good and what needs improvement. My recruiter was super helpful and whenever I reach out for questions, she's happy to answer. Overall experience was the best among all the interviews I've had.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA) in July 2018.

Interview

Recruiter call
    Telephonic
    4 onsite rounds

Most of the people I met and interviewed were nice except for the hiring manager. He was rude and very arrogant, he wouldn't let me complete the code. I wrote and then obviously wrote negative feedback. He left only 30 mins for a big coding problem and kept rushing me so I either ended up missing a few details or not clarifying as much requirements as I would have given that he had given me sane amount of time to actually formulate the problem.

Interview Questions

• Describe projects, coding questions and system design.   1 Answer

Jul 25, 2018 – Social Media Support Manager

Thanks for sharing your experience regarding the interview process. We strive for a strong candidate experience where each candidate feels engaged, respected, and delighted. We’ll be sure to pass... More

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA) in March 2018.

Interview

Very structured interview process with great turnaround times. My interview process with them lasted for less than 2 weeks and I had the result of my final round delivered to me the very next day of my final round.

Interview process started with standard phone screen, two interviewers on the line with one shadowing and one interacting and asking questions. Went through two coding questions, on the easy side in terms on difficulty levels. Required basic knowledge of Map data structure.

Onsite had 5 rounds which started with System design, then a coding round with interaction about past projects and technology stack that you have worked with, then a break and informal chat with interviewer around what the product is about and the company culture etc. The next two rounds were coding again where you had to come up with running programs built from scratch. They didn't enforce OOP concepts while writing programs but they needed running code and the questions were more real world problems like design a calendar with update, delete and edit event functionality, etc

Interview Questions

• How would you design a todo list with reminder functionality? And other questions around similar lines   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA) in March 2018.

Interview

The best interview experience I've ever had. The recruiter and interviewers are super professional and they care more about how you solve the problem than whether you can solve the problem. The interview process is efficient and well designed, which makes you feel you're well-respected.

Interview Questions

• Some algorithm problems and system design questions.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA) in April 2018.

Interview

The interview process was one of the best I've experienced. Starting from the phone screening all the way to the offer process, my recruiter was genuinely interested in me and only wanted the best for me. All the people I've interviewed with seems like people I would want to work with.