Thumbtack Software Engineer New Grad Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Thumbtack

3.3

Software Engineer (New Grad) Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

I applied online. About a week later they sent me a link to their coding challenge. I finished the basic implementation in about 80 minutes (the upper end of what they said it should take), but then proceeded to spend many hours implementing a self-balancing binary tree structure because technically the built in structure wouldn't perform well enough, which was frustrating and I suspect a flaw in their wording rather than an actual requirement (or perhaps just a flaw in the language I chose that the structure wasn't already there).

A few days after submitting it, they got back to me asking to schedule a phone interview. It was a pretty typical phone interview. I liked the guy giving it to me though. He responded well to the questions I had about the company, and I was impressed that part of his coding question involved writing tests. They got back to me the same day saying I was moving forward with the onsite interview (perhaps because I had emailed them to say I was going to be in the San Francisco area for other interviews the following week).

I had a full onsite (4 technical interviews, 1 culture fit interview with a co-founder) on a Thursday. It went fairly well, nothing too difficult. The lunch was kind of awkward though since we only had 30 minutes to eat, and the guy I was eating with was also trying to talk to me while we ate. At the end of the day, a recruiter told me that I could expect to hear back from them Friday (the next day) or Monday, which blew me away since every other place I had thus far interviewed at had had at least a week to get back to me for every step. I actually wound up hearing back from them before I heard back from the companies I had interviewed earlier that week. The wound up getting back to me on the Monday (1-2 business days after), saying they wanted to extend me an offer.

The offer itself was pretty nice; right off the bat it was more than I had hoped for salary-wise (although admittedly, I wasn't sure where to set my expectations since it was my first job and in an area with a higher cost of living than I was used to). I was told they liked to make "strong offers" right out the door without needing to bargain. For all I know, that may have been a line, but given that it was already higher than I had been hoping for, I decided to just roll with it.

Interview Questions

• What is one thing that you used to believe but no longer do?   2 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for Thumbtack

Software Engineer New Grad Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Thumbtack in September 2017.

Interview

It is supposed to be coding challenge, phone interview, on-site interview. I only made it to phone interview stage, then they decided not to continue the process. I think I was just nervous for the interview.

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA) in September 2017.

Interview

Given my previous internship experience, they skipped the hacker rank and I had 1 technical phone screen then onsite, which was 4 technical questions and a lunch. The entire process took less than 2 weeks and heard back 3 days after the onsite. Great food at the onsite and really interesting engineers / interviewers

Interview Questions

• Tell me about something interesting for 5 minutes. Talk about past projects. Graphs questions, binary questions   Answer Question

Software Engineer New Grad Interview

Interview

behavioral phone interview, then coding challenge on codesignals. A little disappointed in myself I definitely felt like I could've aced the test. I got stuck on the second question and found myself panicking. What didnt help was that these questions had like super long ACT-style essay prompts so there was a lot of information in there, and I found myself having a hard time navigating for specific information I wasn't sure of. I decided to navigate to the final question, which again was a very long essay-style prompt. That took out another chunk of my time as I had to read it many many times to make sure I understood everything. At this point, I didn't have a lot of time left, so I proceeded to return the second question which I fixed the failing test cases and passed all test cases. Unfortunately, I had 5 minutes left and didn't get to a point where I had a solution on the third question. While I am always a little apprehensive about doing coding challenges as opposed to getting the opportunity to code with an engineer as I do prefer the human interaction, I liked the fact that these questions were very applicable to what a day at Thumbtack might look like versus the silly coding questions one often gets typically asked on these challenges. So, I have no hard feelings about this because of the applicable questions. Just wish I had the opportunity to prove myself more beyond this coding challenge as Thumbtack looks like a really great company to work for.

Interview Questions

• behavioral interview was pretty standard, asking why you applied to Thumbtack, etc. etc. Not gonna disclose the interview questions, but on a leetcod equivalent, I would say two leetcode mediums and a leetcode hard. Cannot stress enough to read the prompts very carefully as its very reminiscent of the ACT Reading test: everything you need is included in there, but they are each like very long essays.   Answer Question

Software Engineer New Grad Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Thumbtack.

Interview

Overall a positive interview process. I applied online, pretty standard coding challenge, one phone interview, and a 4-5 hour onsite interview. It took them three weeks to respond after the on-site interview, but to be fair it was during holiday season. They emailed to schedule a call, which turned out to be a rejection. I expected the rejection, but ambiguous emails about wanting a call can be a bit hurtful and prolong the feeling. I appreciate them taking the time to call and provide feedback, but yeah. Just email the rejection first so we can both move forward with other opportunities.

Interview Questions

• Study your classic coding questions and make sure you can create code that executes on the spot   Answer Question

Thumbtack Response

Jan 10, 2019 – Social Media Support Manager

Sincere apologies for our delay in responding and relaying feedback. We appreciate you letting us know so we can continue to improve upon our processes. Your feedback is important, and we will be... More

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 7+ weeks. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA) in November 2018.

Interview

- Started with a coding challenge, didn’t complete all parts but gave some good solutions and got a phone screen.
    - First technical phone screen, was able to give naive solution and struggled to answer follow up questions and received a lot of hints.
    - Second technical phone screen (I don’t think this is typical, but maybe they wanted to give me another chance after struggling with the first screen). Did fairly well when solving the problem but didn’t get optimal solution.
    - received invite to on-site, but didn’t continue because of an offer from another company.

Overall a painless interview process and very smooth and well coordinated. Questions were interesting and fair. Both interviewers were very nice and easy to talk to, and though the second interviewer was a bit late, the coordinator responded fast in pinging them and the engineer were able to hop on the call very quickly. No complaints here, seems like a good company with smart people!

Interview Questions

• - 3 thumbtack product related questions
      - class api design
      - normal data structures / algorithms question   Answer Question