TiVo Interview Questions | Glassdoor

TiVo Interview Questions

Updated Aug 13, 2017

2.7

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

I had about 5 interviews from the team manager to the system architect. Every interviewer was concept oriented with some basic C/C++ questions and more intuitive questions on projects. Was also asked a couple of design questions based on abstract classes and virtual functions.

Interview Questions

• Concept of smart pointers and how would you implement it   Answer Question

Software Engineer Mentorship Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at TiVo.

Interview

A bit unorthodox. Before interviews, they had all the candidates sit together in the same room and each lunch. The interviewers were all nice, but there weren't any breaks between interviews and it lasted 4-5 hours. I didn't get much time to think about answers if I didn't say anything for more than a few seconds, so it felt very rushed.

Interview Questions

• Something about finding coordinates of dots and figuring out which of any given pair were closest.   Answer Question

Director, Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at TiVo (San Jose, CA) in July 2014.

Interview

The hiring and interview process at this company was very haphazard and frenetic. There was no clear process; the interviews were superficial; and the overall logistics were poorly managed. The recruiters and interviewers seemed to be constantly in a state of disarray with little to no organization, coordination, or efficiency.

I had regularly set expectations that my decision timing was the first week of August. This expectation was set with HR and the HM individually. When I received the offer on Friday July 25th at 5 PM, it had a 24 hour expiration. I informed HR that I would be making my decision on my specified timeline. I also indicated that I would be compiling my counter proposal after I received the benefits package. Upon hearing these details, and that I would be countering their offer, the company rescinded the offer due to be not accepting it quickly enough or accepting the offer in hand (details were not specified).

This led me to believe there is a significant lack of maturity in both the HR function at TiVo, as well as the hiring manager himself. To outright reject the candidate's timing and not accept counter offers is simply unacceptable in a modern, employee-centric organization.

QA Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at TiVo.

Interview

After a phone interview with recruiter, I had one face-to-face interview with hiring manager and permanent team co-workers (team mixing contractors and employees). Questions were reflecting previous experience directly related to the job: technologies, methodology of work as well as working style. The interview between 60 and 90 minutes.

Interview Questions

• During the face-to-face interview with the team, a strange question came around those lines, something I had never heard before: A week ago, we had to pass on a candidate who did not satisfy our requirements. How can you convince us that you have what it takes to fill up this position?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation with the manager but through HR.

Marketing Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at TiVo in May 2014.

Interview

I submitted my application online and received a phone call shortly after from HR. I first interviewed with HR, then a few weeks later spoke to one of the managers I now work with on the phone. After the second phone interview, I had a Skype interview a couple of weeks later with the VP of Operations (I wasn't local at the time or else it would have been in the office) and I got the job. It was a pretty stress free interview process

Interview Questions

• All of the questions were fairly straightforward. I would say the only one I had a little bit of trouble with was explaining in a non-cliche way, why I wanted to work there.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I did not negotiate because it was an internship

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at TiVo (San Jose, CA) in May 2014.

Interview

The interview process was great. 2 initial phone interviews, one with someone from HR and the other with the hiring manager in marketing. Then went in for an in-person interview with the hiring manager and while I was there they had me interview with another marketing manager on their phone. They had me and one other girl interview for the same position the same day. I got a call the same day for an offer. Easy questions, just really getting to know you. You don't need much (if any) experience for an internship, as long as you show you are capable and willing to do the job. Great company, great pay! Made $20/hr for internship.

Senior Engineering Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at TiVo (San Jose, CA) in May 2014.

Interview

I had an initial interview with VP, then what was to be a 2nd round that ended up getting split into two set of interviews (because some interviewers were not available). The whole process took about 5 months.

One welcome thing: everyone that interviewed me was older than I was -- which isn't always the case in Silicon Valley.

Interview Questions

• Interviewers were very interested in my prior experienced with advanced television technologies (understandable). Much of TiVo's platform is proprietary, so you just have to have enough background to pick things up once you get in the door.   1 Answer

Engineering Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at TiVo in April 2014.

Interview

Submitted my resume online. Got call after few days. Had one telephonic and onsite interview. I felt interview was easy as I had good experience in the job role. Over all the interview experience was good and felt happy

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No Negotiations.

Operations Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at TiVo (San Jose, CA) in February 2014.

Interview

Everyone was friendly and knowledgeable, Let me know what the expectations for the role was. Slightly intimidating in the beginning as I would be taking over the job duties of the first person who was interviewing me.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

NA

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Alviso, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at TiVo (Alviso, CA) in January 2014.

Interview

I had a phone screen with the hiring manager where he asked some basic C/C++ and computer architecture questions. Then came onsite and had interviews with the whole team. I was interviewing for a lower level team so a lot of the questions were around Linux and drivers. Nothing too crazy if you've worked on that before.