Time Inc. Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 26, 2017

2.7

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Time Inc. (New York, NY).

Interview

1. Phone screen: talked about position and team. They wanted to know about my past projects. It seemed like they were interested in my ability to explain how what I had done in the past could be applied to this role

2. In person: seemed rather unobtrusive. Other companies had in-depth coding assignments or challenges but Time had simple syntax questions and one or two algorithms

Technical Sales Support Interview

Interview

Began with an interview with Human Resources. Went well, and the position was half remote, so there were three more individual phone interviews with the manager and the other team members. After the three interviews, company went radio silent and did not contact me back. I followed up with them twice.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Time Inc. (New York, NY).

Interview

Thet required an initial online info form and then later contacted me about a video interview. They wanted your educational background, resume, and general info. I assume they extend a video interview to nearly everyone.

News Writer/Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Time Inc. (New York, NY) in July 2016.

Interview

Having come from a background with many years of experience that ideally suited this particular title, I'd applied a few times when I saw there was a position going. Then, out of the blue, many months after my last application, I received an email from HR asking me for a phone interview. I insisted on meeting in person instead, since I positively loathe being "screened by phone". That went well and despite the fact that it seemed to be taking a long time to arrange, I was asked in again to meet the department head, as such. (I believe everyone at Time Inc has given themselves some sort of "Director" job, which is utterly absurd...but perfectly suits this top-heavy company.)

After passing through the main entrance security and the Department Director was notified of my arrival, I took the elevator to the specific floor...where I was left waiting for over 20 minutes, between the elevators and the next set of security doors. There was no chair, no air conditioning and very little to do except pace up and down, read and re-read the emergency evacuation instructions. Had there been a fire that morning, I would've known exactly what to do.

The Department Director eventually arrived and let me in. There was no real apology however. No meeting room had been arranged so we wandered about and finally sat in a noisy corridor. Frankly, she displayed no genuine interest in me and it seemed this appointment was something of a burden to her.

Worst of all, she happily admitted she hadn't even read my résumé.

At which I *should've* asked why she was wasting my time...but I didn't. I was polite and professional and continued on with the interview. Do these people not prepare for meetings..? I was then introduced to another Director who seemed equally disinterested.

The whole experience had me wondering why I'd been asked in, when clearly there was no interest at all. Does HR have some kind of quota they must full each quarter? It left a very bad taste in my mouth and I concluded this really wasn't the kind of place I'd enjoy working.

I've lived and worked in a number of different countries and I've never been treated as unprofessionally as this.

Interview Questions

• They asked me about my work history, 'cause they hadn't bothered to even read my résumé.   Answer Question

Director of Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Time Inc. (New York, NY) in July 2016.

Interview

Talent Manager contacted me a few days after I'd provided my resume, to set up a phone call with the remote VP who would be my direct supervisor.
    Waited for the VP's call at the specified time, he was a no-show.
    Spoke with his assistant and set up a second time later that day, he was again a no-show.
    Re-arranged my schedule to make myself available for an evening call the next day; this time, he did call. No apology offered for the inconveniences I'd been subjected to..
    The interview itself was fairly routine for a technical managerial role.
    Got confirmation about a month later that they had gone with another candidate.

Interview Questions

• hypothetical scenarios about how I'd handle scenarios with teamwork, technology, and interactions between departments   Answer Question

Video Producer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Time Inc. (New York, NY).

Interview

I sat down with the then head of the video department. We talked and got to know one another a bit. The manager asked me a few personal questions. I asked the manager a few questions about the job and the direction of the company. The manager asked me specific questions regarding the field I would be covering. The interview went well and later that evening I was asked to join the team.

Photo Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Time Inc..

Interview

The interview process was quite easy. I knew the person interviewing me; she offered me a great deal of advice in our phone call as I didn't have enough experience, so I found another position at another place to further my experience in the field... I'll reapply in the near future when the position opens up.

Interview Questions

• Do you have experience staging and directing photos in a commercial studio setting?   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Time Inc. in June 2016.

Interview

Received an automated email to take a a recorded interview. There were about five questions, and the answers are recorded. It took a few weeks to hear back from them. The downside is that there is no email to write and ask for an update.

Creative Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Time Inc. (New York, NY) in June 2016.

Interview

I received the interview referral through a friend but often they are from LinkedIN. It was informal, very 'standard', nice, more conversational than anything. I generally take it to that place. Sometimes people are remote, but my interviewer was warm, curious, conversational. She gathered general information and jotted it down, we discussed working style, approach, personal work, what I would like in that role. It rarely deviates from this process.

Interview Questions

• Basic: work history, experience, did you like it? What did you like about the process/experience?They always ask you about your 'journey'. As a creative working through a third person, at least initially, they ask you about the basics mostly. I think it should be mostly about the culture or creating the culture especially in a design leadership position and I'm not sure if they are always prepared for it. Most also ask for you to show a portfolio--although as a senior director, you work with teams of people and you are indirectly responsible for their design efforts-- so it seems sort of disingenuous to show work that you rarely fully design yourself. It really is about the brand and branding and what you could bring to the table. Also ask to do a project mostly because it is good practice and it demonstrates what you can offer to that specific brand.   1 Answer

Associate Editor Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Time Inc..

Interview

Started with a phone screen. Then a simple editing test. Then a writing test. After that they brought me in for in person interviews. I interviewed with producer, senior editor, and director. I waited a while and finally got an offer.

Interview Questions

• If you had to pitch a story for the homepage today, what would it be?   Answer Question