Timken Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Mar 9, 2017

3.1

Training Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Canton, OH

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Timken (Canton, OH) in February 2017.

Interview

Set up an introductory phone interview with recruiter via email. Set an appointed time. Completed the phone interview with a discussion about a second behavioral based interview to follow. Never heard back from them. Sent a few follow up emails and calls. Never got any response. Not following up leaves a poor impression with candidates and not good branding for Timken. Today's candidate is tomorrows customer. Brand image is important in all facets of the Timken experience. Everyone has to live it not just say it on a website.

Interview Questions

• How has your education and experience prepared you for this position?   Answer Question

Interview

My recruiter called and emailed me to set up an interview I wish I met with 3 panel interview asking me behavioral questions as well as my own background as well as a brief synopsis of the Department of be working in and then I asked them questions about the position and they were very personable laughed and joked a little bit very professional and the lobby is beautiful

Interview Questions

• name a time you had to track data over a period of time and what was the outcome   Answer Question

Sales Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Canton, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Timken (Canton, OH) in May 2016.

Interview

Very unprofessional. I applied for the job and in about 2 weeks I received an email to schedule a phone interview. The email was very unprofessional and from an intern, which didn't bother me at the time. I scheduled the interview and the job interviewer called me 15 minutes late. I found this a very negative start. TO follow this negativity, he was also an intern. He was very dry and not knowledgeable about the position at all. I asked questions at the end and he didn't know the answer to any of them. He stated he would email me answers in a few days, well guess what, I never got an email! He even mentioned the job title, which was wrong, he didn't even know what job I was interviewing for! To me this made me absolutely not want to work for the company. It made me feel unwanted and unimportant.

2 weeks later, I got a rejection letter from another intern that was the most unprofessional rejection email I have even been sent. It was one line that said, unfortunately you have not been selected.

The company should really treat applicants like they matter.

Interview Questions

• Are you more analytical or theoretical of an engineer....   1 Answer

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Canton, OH

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Timken (Canton, OH) in March 2016.

Interview

I was contacted by a Timken recruiter who gave me a short phone interview. The next day I was told the hiring managers were interested in an on site interview and I was emailed an agenda for a series of interviews. I had 4 interviews, 3 of those being one-on-one and 1 being a panel. I thought the interviews went great. The staff was very friendly and accommodating. As quick as the interviews were set up and as smooth as the process went I had a very positive experience until it came to after the interview. It has been well over a month and I have never heard anything back from them. Not an email, phone call, letter or anything. The position is listed on their website as being filled and that's it. As much time as I spent with all of the interviews I thought I at least deserved a rejection of some sort instead of never hearing from them again.

Finance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in North Canton, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Timken (North Canton, OH).

Interview

Went through three rounds of interviews, the first two via telephone, and the final on site. The first was with an in-house recruiter who reviewed basic credentials and level of interest in the company. The second phone interview was with the Manager, and consisted of behavioral questions plus a review of prior work experience. The on site interviews consisted of three 1:1s plus a panel interview with three departmental managers. All four of these in-person interviews were heavily behavioral. Nearly all questions started with "tell us about a time when..." This included a time when...you had to change someone's opinion...you disagreed with your boss...you had confidential information...you were proud of a specific accomplishment. They very much were looking for a three part answer: description of a situation, the actions taken, followed by comments on the results.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time when you had to change someone else's opinion.   Answer Question
    • Second phone interview included the standard "Tell me about yourself" and "What are your strengths?" plus "Tell me about one of your weaknesses."   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Canton, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Timken (Canton, OH) in March 2015.

Interview

Good, laid back experience. No real tough questions. Mostly get to know you questions. They asked about my strengths and weaknesses as well. The person interviewing me was very kind and seemed genuinely interested in getting to know me. Was a fair process despite not getting an offer.

Finance Position Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in North Canton, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Timken (North Canton, OH) in January 2015.

Interview

Interview process started with a short phone interview with a recruiter in the HR Dept. followed by a phone interview with the hiring manager. The final step in the process was an on-site interview with various managers and directors in the Finance Dept. The HR recruiter sent a follow-up e-mail after the on-site interview and said they would provide feedback within a week but I never heard another word from them. I thought this was very unprofessional given the amount of time that I had spent talking to them. If it was not the right fit, they should have at least thanked me for my time. If they treat candidates this way it makes me wonder how they treat their employees.

Design Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Timken in January 2015.

Interview

I applied online. I had 2 phone interviews: first was an initial screen-compensation sought, willingness to relocate, brief overview of internships/things learnt, standard behavioral questions, greatest strength/weakness. Quite easy.

The second was with the hiring manager who went into my resume in greater detail, really grilling me on my experiences and seeing if my answers were consistent with what I wrote. This is where I tripped up, because I didn't weave an epic saga out of my internship experiences.

As an entry-level candidate, I was expected to actually have a past company buy products based on my designs...give me a break, what intern has that sort of influence? I guess now I know what to tell them. The guy wasn't very realistic in his expectation of abilities and was disappointed to hear I only performed a simulation exercise at the internship. Quite a hard and deluded interview.

A few weeks later I got an email notifying me of rejection.
    Advice: Act like Superman in the interview to get an offer.

Interview Questions

• What were your deliverables? Oh, you had to deliver a report? Tell me more about it.   Answer Question
    • What factors went in creating the cost-benefit analysis? So you saw the greatest savings from new vehicles?   Answer Question
    • What was your design process? How did you take into account design for manufacturability?   Answer Question

Operations Development Program Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Timken.

Interview

The Interview process consisted of 2 phone interviews and then an on-site interview. The day before the on-site interview there was a networking dinner. The candidates stayed in a hotel overnight and then the next morning went to the facility. The day consisted of 3 one on one, a panel interview, a case study and a tour of the facility.

Interview Questions

• What do you think is something you need to work on as a leader?   Answer Question

Steel Business Associate - Manufacturing Track Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Canton, OH

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Timken (Canton, OH) in October 2014.

Interview

The interviewing process takes place over two days. The first day they will give a tour of the Canton, OH area and then provide dinner at a restaurant with managers and team leaders to ask some questions before the interviews. The second day is when the interviews take place. Interviews consist of 2 one-on-one interviews and a 3 person panel interview. They also provide a tour of their Faircrest steel plant

Interview Questions

• Name a specific time when you had to meet a deadline but something came up that may have forced you to miss that deadline   Answer Question