Toast Inc Field Implementation Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Toast Inc Field Implementation Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at Toast Inc

2.5

Field Implementation Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Toast Inc in September 2018.

Interview

I was reached out by a recruiter and we set up a time to talk about the position. We moved forward to have an individual interview the following week with a regional manager. The next step was 3 back to back to back interviews with different team members across the country. The process ended with a 1 page essay. Overall, the process was professional, setting up interviews online were easy, and moved very quickly.

Interview Questions

• Questions included restaurant POS experience and some technical questions   Answer Question

Oct 12, 2018 – Employer Brand Manager

Thank you for this feedback! I'm so glad to hear that your interview process was smooth and efficient. We're happy to have you on the team! - John Ryan, Recruiter

Other Interview Reviews for Toast Inc

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Toast Inc (Boston, MA) in July 2015.

Interview

Recruitment team was highly unprofessional. The interview was a tour of the office, some chit chat with various employees. Never heard a response over a course of a month. Finally contacted the VP I interviewed with, didn't remember even having an interview. Pulled my interest in the company, but that was probably a good thing: If the recruitment team is bad, the rest can't be much better.

Interview Questions

Toast Inc Response

Jul 18, 2016 – HR Director

Thank you for the feedback- I am very sorry that you had a negative experience with our interview process and recruitment team. I will be working with the team to ensure we don't repeat these... More

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Toast Inc (Boston, MA).

Interview

First phone call was from recruiter, then a second phone call a week later for a "technical interview". In person interviews were scheduled about a week later at HQ in Boston. There, met with several people for very conversational type interviews. Written offer came about a week later. Everyone I spoke with was beyond friendly.

Interview Questions

• Technical interviews were designed to not only test your knowledge, but also your ability to retain information.   Answer Question

Field Implementation Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Toast Inc in October 2016.

Interview

I originally found the listing on a local website that had a refreshing and succinct approach to job listings.
    The entire interview process took a few weeks and involved multiple phone calls with multiple different people on different days. It seemed each call had a different focus and questions relating to what I assume was the interviewers strength.
    The interviews asked a mix of behavioral questions that used past specific experiences with questions about technical knowledge as well as questions that checked for current strengths and weaknesses.
    Justin English was very helpful throughout the process with various questions and status checks. Natalie Audelo was very nice when I had questions along the way.
    I really liked the online tool they used to set up interview times. It helped to not spend an excessive amount of time coordinating back and forth.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you arrived on a customer site and things didn't go as planned.   1 Answer
    • Tell me about a hobby or skill you recently learned and how that's going.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Toast Inc (Boston, MA) in December 2017.

Interview

Spoke with the (internal employee) recruiter, who in the first call was asking for my expected salary. Explained that I didn't know enough about the position yet, and hadn't talked to anyone in a technical/managerial role.

I pulled salary data from multiple reputable sites, indicating salary range was ~$83,000 for this role in Minneapolis. Ahead of speaking with the hiring manager, I relayed this data to the recruiter, and was told "we pay $65,000 for this role, no matter where it is in the US".

Spoke to the manager, got an email back from the recruiter saying "you had a good interview. How do you feel about continuing, based on the salary differential?" I replied again with the salary data, and never got a response.

If you're offering $20,000 less than market, won't offer a reason why, and ghost me when I provide data, I guess all I can do is be thankful I found out about your corporate culture before getting hired.

Interview Questions

• How much do you expect for salary?   1 Answer

Feb 20, 2018 – Director Talent Acquisition

I'm sorry to hear of your experience. Compensation conversation are never easy so I appreciate you being thoughtful in your approach and backing it with data. We are always reviewing how our comp... More

Field Implementation Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Toast Inc.

Interview

Was for a remote position so all rounds were phone screens. Initial phone screen with recruiter, phone screen with manager, 3 back to back half hour phone screens with a mix of regional managers and other engineers. Whole process took about 2 weeks.

Interview Questions

• Mostly got asked about client/customer interactions or problem solving. I think my resume made my technical skills clear so they didn't feel a need to test these (can't say for sure).   Answer Question

Feb 12, 2018 – Director Talent Acquisition

I'm sorry that we weren't able to convince you to join. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Toast Inc (Denver, CO).

Interview

After applying for this position I was quickly contacted by a recruiter to set up a phone interview. At the scheduled time, the recruiter did not call and emailed later apologizing. We rescheduled the interview for the following week but once again, he didn't call at the appointed time, apologized via email and asked to reschedule. This is extremely unprofessional and looks poorly on the company and the competency of the recruiter.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Punta Gorda, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Toast Inc (Punta Gorda, FL).

Interview

I hadn’t heard of the company previous to seeing the position listed on Glassdoor, but once I did some research about the company via their website, social media, and YouTube I decided to apply. From what was listed in the description about the position that I was applying for, it seemed like I would possibly be a good fit with my background in Hospitality/Restaurants/Leadership and Marketing.

I believe I applied on a Tuesday night, and was contacted by Kelsey O’Donnell in HR on Thursday morning via email to setup a 30 minute phone interview. We scheduled the interview for that upcoming Monday.

It was a good interview, she asked what my knowledge of Toast Inc. was, and I told her the information I had gathered from researching the company before applying. I am the type of person who wants to work for a company that I can be proud to work for, to me a job isn’t just a “job” - which is why I research before applying. I want to be an ambassador for the brand I work for. She was pleased with my knowledge of the company.

After discussing what the job would entail we discussed a couple things from my resume, talked about wages, and then discussed any little questions.

From there she asked if I’d like to move forward with the hiring process and at that time, I felt I wanted to hear more about the position so I agreed.

I was then scheduled for a 30 minute video interview with Alexis Thebeau (Regional Field Manager) two days later.

My interview with Alexis went very well. I feel she was upfront with what the position was going to entail, which was A LOT of travel, since this was for the southwest side of FL where there aren’t any (or many) other people in this position.

I have experience with traveling with my previous job, so it wasn’t a huge deal. I enjoy traveling.

I love the training aspect of making sure the new teams know how to properly work the systems once we install them. I have traveled with my current employer all over the country training new teams on service, hospitality, and products for several years - so training is an A+ for me. I love doing it.

Again, there was discussion about a couple things from my resume and strengths/weaknesses. The regular interview questions.

At the end of the interview, I was asked if I’d like to move forward with the interview process, which would be 1.5 hrs with 3 separate people. I accepted and scheduled the next step.

I wasn’t 100% sure how I felt about the position at that time, but didn’t want to decline and decided to think it over. I discussed the position with a couple people close to me, and they agreed that perhaps it isn’t *quite* the right fit for me - long term.

The con to this particular position would be A LOT of installation which could mean climbing into ceilings, under front counters, etc.

While I know I am fully capable of this position, physically and mentally - I do not feel as installation is something I would want to do long term.

After the discussions I had, I emailed Chelsea Gardner & Kelsey O’Donnell letting them know I did not feel I was the right candidate for the position and asked them to withdraw my application for further review.

Kelsey O’Donell emailed me back a few minutes later asking for details about why I chose to withdraw to help them in the future. I emailed her back with my reasons.

To end this lengthy review, I think the overall experience was good and I feel I would thrive within the company. However, this particular position I do not feel was quite right for me.

Interview Questions

• This particular position requires a lot of traveling and they wanted to make sure I was aware/okay with this.   1 Answer

May 31, 2019 – Toast

Thank you for this incredibly thorough and thoughtful review. I really appreciate you taking the time to interview with the team and learn more about the field implementation role. While it might not... More

Field Implementation Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Toast Inc.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter within a few days of applying online. I went through a phone screen, a 30-minute video interview, and then 3 separate video interviews all in one day.
    The process took about 2 weeks with scheduling and awaiting next steps.

The interviews were all about the same. The questions asked did not increase in depth or relevance to the job as I progressed through the process. 4 out of the 5 interviewers were very pleasant and seemed to agree with me that my experience fit the position perfectly.
    The 5th and final interview was terrible. The interviewer did not seem interested in asking good questions or listening to my responses in the slightest. When I asked questions, they told me they were only with the company for 2 months and could not answer. This one interviewer ruined the entire process for me.

I was told that I would be contacted by a recruiter the following week once they had discussed my qualifications. They couldn't be bothered to ever respond. Incredibly disappointed and astonished with the disregard this company has for potential hires.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about Toast Inc?   Answer Question
    • Even though you've been through 5 interviews over the past 2 weeks, do you have any questions about the position?   Answer Question

May 31, 2019 – Toast

Thank you for your patience and apologies for the delay in responding. I take these reviews seriously and wanted to carve out ample time to respond. That being said, I’m really sorry that this was... More

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Toast Inc (Boston, MA) in April 2019.

Interview

1 phone interview and 4 separate 30-minute video interviews with each person asking the same questions as the last, after which they told me they would get back to me within a few days but they never contacted me again. Waste of 2.5 hours of time.